Sign in to follow this  
MickeyE

Anyone been following the Dominic Cummings debacle?

1 minute ago, Sasnak said:

That c**t runs the country...........and he’s got some plans for it that are going to piss a lot of people off! I’m with him on some of them, but not all of them.

He does seem to wield a disproportionate amount of power for an an "advisor" 

7 hours ago, dumbat said:

What happened to " Lead by example" ? 

Leadership involves ownership; he should have realised that his actions would be criticised. 

The damage is now being compounded by sycophantic ministers towing the line. 

Johnson now appears weak, he cant do without Dominic to hold his hand . 

He did realise that he would get criticised that's why him and his wife who both wrote articles giving accounts of their covid 19 experience, both completely omitted any mention of their trip to Durham.

And why he never told Johnson or anyone in government that he was going.

People don't usually hide stuff if they don't think they've done anything wrong.  

For sure, politicians have to abide by a certain moral and ethical standards as they represent their constituents.

But Cummings is not a politician and not an MP I think people have forgotten this.  

He has acted like a prat  but this unprecedented pile on by the media is way out of proportion to what he actually did.

1 hour ago, EpicSquats said:

What are his plans bro? 

Too complicated to talk about here I’m afraid. I’m not insulting your intelligence, it just is. Pm me and I’ll explain.

2 hours ago, MickeyE said:

He did realise that he would get criticised that's why him and his wife who both wrote articles giving accounts of their covid 19 experience, both completely omitted any mention of their trip to Durham.

And why he never told Johnson or anyone in government that he was going.

People don't usually hide stuff if they don't think they've done anything wrong.  

He is now complaining about the criticism , it just shows the level of entitlement that egotistical sociopaths like him have. 

The whole affair is farcical and while being amusing in some ways its a sad reflection of the true principles held by this government. 

Its times like this that make parodies like "In the thick of it "  seem far too tame.     

1 hour ago, albatross said:

For sure, politicians have to abide by a certain moral and ethical standards as they represent their constituents.

But Cummings is not a politician and not an MP I think people have forgotten this.  

He has acted like a prat  but this unprecedented pile on by the media is way out of proportion to what he actually did.

He was one of (if not the main) people who drew up the lock down measures, that is why he has come under so much criticism.

He is not some low ranking employee of the government,  he has a lot of influence and with that influence there comes responsibility and ownership.  

3 hours ago, Sasnak said:

That c**t runs the country...........and he’s got some plans for it that are going to piss a lot of people off! I’m with him on some of them, but not all of them.

Mate, post them. Start a new thread.

13 hours ago, MickeyE said:

I get what you're saying with the hypocrisy image. But I don't think anything can be more hypocritical than those making the rules actually breaking them themselves 

I think that's a valid criticism of Neil Ferguson, mate. He was a scientist that directly advised the government on a public lockdown that he didn't follow.

As for Cummings, did he advise anyone on anything to do with the lockdown? Genuine question. I don't know the answer. If not, the hypocrisy allegation can't really be pinned to him.

I get the distinct feeling that, despite the weak BS excuses, Cummings is probably an extremely shrewd and capable political operator. I feel this in large part due to the huge efforts the left wing media are going to in order to whip up public ill feeling towards him. It's a partisan witch-hunt, plain and simple...and the most worrying thing for me is watching how manipulable the general public are. For that reason alone, i hope Boris ignores all the sheep and he stays in his job.

I'm yet to hear any of the sanctimonious eejits calling for Cummings' resignation also call for the resignations of Labour MP's who, for example, drove hundreds of miles to see their parents, attended a funeral with over 100 mourners, or went to a birthday party with several guests. The lack of sincerity is nauseating.

2 hours ago, spod said:

I think that's a valid criticism of Neil Ferguson, mate. He was a scientist that directly advised the government on a public lockdown that he didn't follow.

As for Cummings, did he advise anyone on anything to do with the lockdown? Genuine question. I don't know the answer. If not, the hypocrisy allegation can't really be pinned to him.

I get the distinct feeling that, despite the weak BS excuses, Cummings is probably an extremely shrewd and capable political operator. I feel this in large part due to the huge efforts the left wing media are going to in order to whip up public ill feeling towards him. It's a partisan witch-hunt, plain and simple...and the most worrying thing for me is watching how manipulable the general public are. For that reason alone, i hope Boris ignores all the sheep and he stays in his job.

I'm yet to hear any of the sanctimonious eejits calling for Cummings' resignation also call for the resignations of Labour MP's who, for example, drove hundreds of miles to see their parents, attended a funeral with over 100 mourners, or went to a birthday party with several guests. The lack of sincerity is nauseating.

I personally don't think this has anything to do with party politics. The right wing media are going after him just as hard as the left and there's been something like 35 Tory MPs publicly calling for him to go and I'm pretty certain they're from across the board and not all "remainers"

I think the sheeple are up in arms so much because the poor fookers believed in the lockdown with their hearts and souls and really thought they were "saving lives" by following it. Public support for the lockdown was huge. 

So it's obvious they're gonna be a bit p1ssed off when they find out people behind implementing the draconian measures are not actually following them themselves.

Cummings broke the lock down rules more than once. He went back to work at downing street after being at home with his wife who he strongly suspected had Covid symptoms. As I said previously, I think you could just about give him the benefit of doubt on the actual trip to his parents. His excuse for this about childcare I could just about buy. 

But then his trip to Barnard Castle is another blatant flouting of lockdown rules and his BS excuses for that are a complete insult to the public's intelligence. And these are just the breaches he's been caught for!

For me the biggest issue is with his blatant lying and refusal to accept he broke the rules and apologise.. If he'd have admitted he did wrong I think a lot more people would be happy to let it go. I said earlier why I think the reaction to Cummings indiscretions differs to that of a Labour backbencher's.

I agree he must be a very astute political operator or he'd already be long gone.

But his position is untenable at this point , he's just draining the government's credibility and authority the longer they refuse to get rid of him.

I don't think he'll survive and I don't think he has anyone to blame but himself.

It's clear from watching his press conference that he's a sociopath and pathological liar. Those qualities are probably very helpful for campaigning and winning elections but it looks like they'll also be his undoing too.

Don't think he has any grounds to claim he's the victim and this is all just a media witch hunt. He did wrong, got caught, won't admit he did anything wrong. All of his own doing. 

1 hour ago, Spieren said:

If the same rules should apply to everyone. Then he should have received a warning, then fined £60 for a second offence. 

He should also be dealt with by his employers as would anyone else who works for the public who’s flouted the guidelines and brought the organisation into disrepute. 

I'm not against what Cummings did rather the lockdown policy that he helped set up. It's completely over the top as the virus mainly hits a small percentage of older folk with underlying medical conditions. Shutting down all these businesses was totally unnecessary. It didn't happen with the Hong Kong flu (80,000 deaths) and the present virus has killed roughly half that number. Back then they got on with life and accept it unlike today's pedantic and rather pathetic society . People need to toughen up and I'm not afraid to say it. 

So Durham police have issued a statement after investigating Cummings's lockdown shenanigans.

"On 27 March 2020, Dominic Cummings drove to Durham to self-isolate in a property owned by his father.

Durham Constabulary does not consider that by locating himself at his father’s premises, Mr Cummings committed an offence contrary to regulation 6 of the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020. (We are concerned here with breaches of the Regulations, not the general Government guidance to “stay at home”.)

On 12 April 2020, Mr Cummings drove approximately 26 miles from his father’s property to Barnard Castle with his wife and son. He stated on 25 May 2020 that the purpose of this drive was to test his resilience to drive to London the following day, including whether his eyesight was sufficiently recovered, his period of self-isolation having ended. 

Durham Constabulary have examined the circumstances surrounding the journey to Barnard Castle (including ANPR, witness evidence and a review of Mr Cummings’ press conference on 25 May 2020) and have concluded that there might have been a minor breach of the Regulations that would have warranted police intervention. Durham Constabulary view this as minor because there was no apparent breach of social distancing.

Had a Durham Constabulary police officer stopped Mr Cummings driving to or from Barnard Castle, the officer would have spoken to him, and, having established the facts, likely advised Mr Cummings to return to the address in Durham, providing advice on the dangers of travelling during the pandemic crisis. Had this advice been accepted by Mr Cummings, no enforcement action would have been taken.

In line with Durham Constabulary’s general approach throughout the pandemic, there is no intention to take retrospective action in respect of the Barnard Castle incident since this would amount to treating Mr Cummings differently from other members of the public. Durham Constabulary has not taken retrospective action against any other person."

https://www.durham.police.uk/news-and-events/Pages/News Articles/Durham-Constabulary-press-statement--.aspx

Meanwhile, Downing street are sticking with their position that Cummings didn't breach any laws.

"A Number 10 spokesperson responded: "The police have made clear they are taking no action against Mr Cummings over his self-isolation and that going to Durham did not breach the regulations.

"The prime minister has said he believes Mr Cummings behaved reasonably and legally given all the circumstances and he regards this issue as closed."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/dominic-cummings-durham-police-say-pm-aide-may-have-committed-minor-breach-of-lockdown-rules-11996238

At this stage all 14,000 lockdown fines issued by police to the public should be rescinded. 

If the government who wrote the laws and the police who are supposed to enforce them can't even agree with each other on what is and isnt legal, why should the public be expected to know better?

To add insult to injury there is no right of appeal for any lockdown fines. They cannot be legally challenged.

Absolute p1ss take.

On 27 May 2020 at 11:31 AM, MickeyE said:

If he'd have admitted he did wrong I think a lot more people would be happy to let it go. I said earlier why I think the reaction to Cummings indiscretions differs to that of a Labour backbencher's.

Respectfully, i disagree.

If he admitted any kind of wrong doing, the herd would see it as justification for their faux outrage and be baying at the doors of number 10 with renewed vigour demanding his resignation.

It's clear to anyone who has followed British politics over the past few years why Cummings in particular is being hammered over this. Rightly or wrongly, people of all political persuasions view him as crucial to us leaving the EU, and, going forward, to making a success of Brexit. He's a polarising figure, and that's why he'll never be forgiven for even the slightest misdemeanour by a largely left wing media and the flocks of bandwagon jumpers they inspire.

If we're going to have a standard where everyone, regardless of their political views, is treated equally and forced to resign from their jobs for breaching lockdown rules even slightly, so be it....but to crucify one man in particular when so many others have committed equally serious lockdown indiscretions reeks of insincerity.

On 27/05/2020 at 8:26 PM, Fletch68 said:

I'm not against what Cummings did rather the lockdown policy that he helped set up. It's completely over the top as the virus mainly hits a small percentage of older folk with underlying medical conditions. Shutting down all these businesses was totally unnecessary. It didn't happen with the Hong Kong flu (80,000 deaths) and the present virus has killed roughly half that number. Back then they got on with life and accept it unlike today's pedantic and rather pathetic society . People need to toughen up and I'm not afraid to say it. 

If you think about it, maybe....just maybe the death number is half because the lockdown helped control the spread of the virus? 

On 5/26/2020 at 5:33 PM, Denied said:

Think the guys a bit of a nob. (I voted remain, so what else would I think of him.) But ffs, give it a rest. Someone posted something interesting on Facebook the other day about 4 labor MPs got busted breaking the rules. I'd only heard about 1 of them. So why all the interest in this one?

Government advisers are usually faceless people who work in the background, that we don't know the names of let alone recognise. So if the elected officials don't have to quit why should advisers.

you mean you fell into the lies spread by tory right wing  groups?

On 5/27/2020 at 5:31 PM, MickeyE said:

I personally don't think this has anything to do with party politics. The right wing media are going after him just as hard as the left and there's been something like 35 Tory MPs publicly calling for him to go and I'm pretty certain they're from across the board and not all "remainers"

I think the sheeple are up in arms so much because the poor fookers believed in the lockdown with their hearts and souls and really thought they were "saving lives" by following it. Public support for the lockdown was huge. 

So it's obvious they're gonna be a bit p1ssed off when they find out people behind implementing the draconian measures are not actually following them themselves.

Cummings broke the lock down rules more than once. He went back to work at downing street after being at home with his wife who he strongly suspected had Covid symptoms. As I said previously, I think you could just about give him the benefit of doubt on the actual trip to his parents. His excuse for this about childcare I could just about buy. 

But then his trip to Barnard Castle is another blatant flouting of lockdown rules and his BS excuses for that are a complete insult to the public's intelligence. And these are just the breaches he's been caught for!

For me the biggest issue is with his blatant lying and refusal to accept he broke the rules and apologise.. If he'd have admitted he did wrong I think a lot more people would be happy to let it go. I said earlier why I think the reaction to Cummings indiscretions differs to that of a Labour backbencher's.

I agree he must be a very astute political operator or he'd already be long gone.

But his position is untenable at this point , he's just draining the government's credibility and authority the longer they refuse to get rid of him.

I don't think he'll survive and I don't think he has anyone to blame but himself.

It's clear from watching his press conference that he's a sociopath and pathological liar. Those qualities are probably very helpful for campaigning and winning elections but it looks like they'll also be his undoing too.

Don't think he has any grounds to claim he's the victim and this is all just a media witch hunt. He did wrong, got caught, won't admit he did anything wrong. All of his own doing. 

lets not forget that boris headed to the countryside with his GF after getting out of hospital. it was neithers primary home!