Sign in to follow this  
james90

Booking a November holiday?

Hi all, 

Thinking of booking a 10 day holiday at the beginning of November to somewhere in the Canary Islands as like a lot of us feel could do with a holiday at some point this year.

I personally feel November will be fine, the signs are good at the moment and it is over 5 months away and Spain confirmed yesterday that tourism will resume from July.

When I mention my plans of booking this trip to friends and family the majority think I am being stupid and say shouldn't go anywhere this year. I was briefly looking last night and for £550pp we can get flights and 10 day stay, at worst we will get a credit if we cant fly which we can use next year so no real problem there. 

Would be interesting to see how others on here feel about going away end of this year, anyone else got planned trips they are hopeful to be going on? 

We were going to the Canaries in March - we got as far as the departure lounge! We had to tell our two year old the plane was broken. She still told everyone she’d been on holiday though!

I’m a cautious person - there are many people chomping at the bit to get on holiday. I’m inclined to wait and see how they get on before I make any plans...

7 minutes ago, james90 said:

Hi all, 

Thinking of booking a 10 day holiday at the beginning of November to somewhere in the Canary Islands as like a lot of us feel could do with a holiday at some point this year.

I personally feel November will be fine, the signs are good at the moment and it is over 5 months away and Spain confirmed yesterday that tourism will resume from July.

When I mention my plans of booking this trip to friends and family the majority think I am being stupid and say shouldn't go anywhere this year. I was briefly looking last night and for £550pp we can get flights and 10 day stay, at worst we will get a credit if we cant fly which we can use next year so no real problem there. 

Would be interesting to see how others on here feel about going away end of this year, anyone else got planned trips they are hopeful to be going on? 

I should be in Spain now. Got a voucher from accommodation, getting a refund from airline and cancelled car. 
Have a holiday booked for end August too. Will pay the last payment end of May. If we go, we go. If not we’ll just get a credit plus 20% and go next year. 

TBH. This last 6 weeks has been like a holiday, for me at least :thumbup1:

5 minutes ago, Spieren said:

I should be in Spain now. Got a voucher from accommodation, getting a refund from airline and cancelled car. 
Have a holiday booked for end August too. Will pay the last payment end of May. If we go, we go. If not we’ll just get a credit plus 20% and go next year. 

I'm meant to be in the Caribbean next week but the travel agent has been completely silent, luckily BA cancelled the flights this week so I am due a refund at some point :( £4k in total for both of us

13 minutes ago, Spieren said:

Im sure the last 6 weeks have been a holiday for lots of people, not bad getting paid 80% for doing fck all lol.  Nothing has changed for me however have worked right through and will continue all year so am just hoping to get away at some point. 

22 minutes ago, drwae said:

I'm meant to be in the Caribbean next week but the travel agent has been completely silent, luckily BA cancelled the flights this week so I am due a refund at some point :( £4k in total for both of us

You may just get a voucher mate. I can’t speak for all travel insurance companies, but mine accepts a voucher to be as good as a full cash refund, not ideal unless your happy to just defer your holiday. I’m not sure about ATOL protection on vouches, I heard the gov are gonna change the rules. 

4 minutes ago, Spieren said:

You may just get a voucher mate. I can’t speak for all travel insurance companies, but mine accepts a voucher to be as good as a full cash refund, not ideal unless your happy to just defer your holiday. I’m not sure about ATOL protection on vouches, I heard the gov are gonna change the rules. 

Don't really mind as long as I get something, we can just do it next year instead if i get a voucher

We're leaving ours till next year, who knows how it's going the pan out and I want to be able to go on my hols with full confidence. 

I'll let all you lot test the waters first :D

44 minutes ago, SuperRips said:

We're leaving ours till next year, who knows how it's going the pan out and I want to be able to go on my hols with full confidence. 

I'll let all you lot test the waters first :D

Yeah you want to be sure all the restaurants and shops and everything else is open when you go.

47 minutes ago, drwae said:

Don't really mind as long as I get something, we can just do it next year instead if i get a voucher

Depends if the operator goes bust. £4k voucher suddenly becomes worthless.

I’m pretty sure they must provide a refund option even if it may take a while to process.

I imagine it would be ok to go BUT I would rather go when I know everything is back open and functioning fully to get a decent holiday ‘experience’.

I wouldn’t want to go if some businesses still haven’t opened or have shut down due to affordability. No idea how the economy in any country will be by the end of the year so it’s a punt.

I’d like to go and not be confined to my hotel because everywhere else is still potentially closed. No idea whether a second wave will hit anywhere. Hopefully not. 

If all is well come august and its dropped to the point no one really cares anymore like the spanish flu did then that’ll probably be a good time to book. 

Fellas,  does anyone know the refund situation regarding cancelled flight?

We had flights booked to Brazil with LATAM. They have offered credit against any flights booked with them until February next year or a full refund which can take up to 12 months.

Since we paid for the tickets on a MasterCard should the CC company be able to give us a full refund sooner?

I think it’s Section 75, or something, that refers to CC insuring against purchases.

4 hours ago, james90 said:

Hi all, 

This website is brilliant and has been updated 2 and 3 times a day by the woman who runs it. Lots of other Canaries advice apart from Coronvirus too. 

https://www.janetanscombe.com/news/italian-tourist-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-in-tenerife.html

36 minutes ago, js77 said:

I think it’s Section 75, or something, that refers to CC insuring against purchases

It’s untested at the moment. I’d guess the credit card companies have probably rejected any sec 75 claims so far because they know they are due a deluge of them.

I envisage that they’ll turn it down as at this point you haven’t “lost anything” even though you have.

If tour operators start going bust then it should apply but I can see card providers trying to dip of claims and long term, a load of litigation against card companies.

If you check Martin Lewis money saving expert site he has the most up to date info on where we stand.

In particular, atol protection probably won’t apply to any “credit notes” issued for holidays.

Im having a look around and thinking about booking something for late July/early August.

Maybe Croatia or Greek isles or somewhere else that hasn't been very badly affected.

They can stick their 14 day return quarantine up their arse.

They've only brought it in now to stop people spending money abroad

No other logical reason to bring a travel quarantine policy in now when we have one of the highest infection/death rates around. 

If 2 of the chief architects (Ferguson and Cummings) don't have to adhere to these BS restrictions, why should anyone else.

If you go somewhere like the Greek isles, you'll have way less chance of getting the virus there than you will for the same period if you stay here. 

2 hours ago, Sasnak said:

It’s untested at the moment. I’d guess the credit card companies have probably rejected any sec 75 claims so far because they know they are due a deluge of them.

I envisage that they’ll turn it down as at this point you haven’t “lost anything” even though you have.

If tour operators start going bust then it should apply but I can see card providers trying to dip of claims and long term, a load of litigation against card companies.

If you check Martin Lewis money saving expert site he has the most up to date info on where we stand.

In particular, atol protection probably won’t apply to any “credit notes” issued for holidays.

Thanks for that mate.

The tour operator we booked with have literally disappeared but the airline have given us at least some guarantee. 

The problem is if we can’t rebook before the kids go back to school in September there won’t be a long enough school holiday to make use of the tickets.

We are due to go to Cyprus mid August, as it stands UK are not on their list of countries allowed travel. The final balance is now due 6 weeks before we fly. 

Would we go if we can.. Yes

Do I have enough annual leave to cover the holiday plus 2 weeks self isolation.. No

Stuck between a rock and a hard place if Cyprus allow UK tourists in the next month or so. 

It's whether they want you in their country. No doubt they survive on tourist money so corona virus will be swept under the carpet by then 

I was looking at booking a four night caravan holiday in Wales through The Sun.  Not sure if i'd need to.self isolate for two weeks afterwards though, need to look into it more.

The thing is, you will probably be able to go, but will be subject to a lot of annoying rules when you get there regarding social distancing so imo it’s not really worth it

12 hours ago, Clubber Lang said:

100% go!

im sick of this lockdown BS.

watch this, brilliant!

Good grief. 

This sounds dangerously like common sense.

I must therefore call tin foil hat conspiratorial BS.

Give that man a cigar!

11 hours ago, Lancashiregent said:

Good grief. 

This sounds dangerously like common sense.

I must therefore call tin foil hat conspiratorial BS.

Give that man a cigar!

lol, it gets better every time i watch it.

6min 4 seconds in....boom! lol  She got burnt!

which muppet at the BBC had the idea of going toe to toe with an Ex-Supreme Justice ?! lol!

and yes its all common sense. Everything he says is right. Virus will still be here long after lockdown is lifted, the % of people dying are the old with serious underlying health issues, and life is worth risking.