Sign in to follow this  
Ironman TS

Mood Improvement Supps - Irritability

Any recommendations for supps that successfully improve mood?

Tried Ashwaganda and got nothing from it despite plenty of positive anecdotal feedback.  I used BP but have been tempted to try it again from Strom.

5-HTP?  CBD??  Any suggestions???

Are you buying a decent Ashwaganda though? I bought a few different types, it wasn't until I bought these (off eBay as much cheaper) that they had a positive effect and now I swear by them.

5-htp is also great. Not only can it help relieve anxiety and stress but will boost your mood overall. Another added benefit of these two is they can also help with sleep, depending what you take them with.

Ashwagandha, 5-htp and ZMA taken before bed will get you a wicked nights sleep. Dose depending, it'll either help you get off to sleep better or it'll help you have a better nights sleep overall. Minor drawback is, if you take too much of all 3 before bed and wake for a wee in the night you can feel groggy and drowsy.

For the 5-htp and ZMA I used peak supplements and found them to be great.

Ive suggested Ashwagandha and 5-htp to lots of people who had had stress and or anxiety and its helped everyone I know that's taken it. Its worth a shot mate and not expensive at all.

30 minutes ago, Endomorph84 said:

Are you buying a decent Ashwaganda though? I bought a few different types, it wasn't until I bought these (off eBay as much cheaper) that they had a positive effect and now I swear by them.

5-htp is also great. Not only can it help relieve anxiety and stress but will boost your mood overall. Another added benefit of these two is they can also help with sleep, depending what you take them with.

Ashwagandha, 5-htp and ZMA taken before bed will get you a wicked nights sleep. Dose depending, it'll either help you get off to sleep better or it'll help you have a better nights sleep overall. Minor drawback is, if you take too much of all 3 before bed and wake for a wee in the night you can feel groggy and drowsy.

For the 5-htp and ZMA I used peak supplements and found them to be great.

Ive suggested Ashwagandha and 5-htp to lots of people who had had stress and or anxiety and its helped everyone I know that's taken it. Its worth a shot mate and not expensive at all.

It was the ‘quality’ question that had me thinking about giving the Ashwagandha another go - the Strom version seems to be getting decent feedback but will look into the ones you suggest too.

Definitely going to try the 5-HTP too.

On 5/23/2020 at 4:11 PM, Ironman TS said:

Ordered the 5HTP from Peak - great price and can’t beat a personal recommendation :thumbup1:

Think I’ll see how I get on with it before trying the KSM-66 again.

Best to do them separately to gauge effectiveness... unfortunately neither ashwagandha or 5htp did much for me.

5-htp isn't a mood improvement supplement. It is the precursor to serotonin. If you have low serotonin then 5-htp might improve your mood providing that the low serotonin is caused by something lower down in the chain (if the low serotonin is due to a problem converting 5-htp to serotonin then 5-htp may still not help but if it's caused by a problem making 5-htp or a 5-htp precursor then 5-htp supplementation may help)

If you don't have low serotonin I wouldn't recommend taking it. 

a good diet good lifestyle good social life good exercise regime good goals and plans in life. These are what you need for a good mood there is no magical pill. I mean you can take ecstasy but it won't last forever and will do more harm than good in the end. Don't search for a drug (or a "supplement") for a quick lazy fix.

L-Tryptophan > 5-HTP > Serotonin > Melatonin 

This is the chain. Serotonin is converted into melatonin which is why some say 5-HTP helps with sleep. Melatonin is released when we are in pitch black and lying down relaxed as the body realises it's time to sleep. Having lights on including from the phone or computer interferes with that as does sleeping at irregular times. The counter to melatonin is cortisol. The body releases a lot of cortisol when we wake up or to tell us to get up when daylight is sensed. This is why stress stops us from being able to sleep as we are full of cortisol (the wake up chemical). 

If you artificially try to increase your serotonin you'll have other effects like raising your levels of melatonin and histamine and lowering other things like dopamine, cortisol and adrenaline. From there everything has a knock on effect as you lower dopamine X y z things are effects and each of those things affect X y z others things.. it's really difficult to picture, a big web, but the body basically wants to be in balance and will try its best to balance itself out. In my opinion it's not good to try and randomly alter levels of select things unless you know why, what you're doing and what else will be affected.  For example imagine you're already feeling tired and you've hayfever and you've low dopamine then you take a load of 5-HTP well now you've given yourself more melatonin so you're even more tired and you've given yourself more histamine so your allergy is even worse and you've lowered your dopamine even more making yourself even more depressed and other bad things.  So it's not so simple to just take anything without knowing what it effects