Sign in to follow this  

Hi,

I've been going to the gym for around 10 years now. I was in really good shape when younger (around 22).

I'm 31 now, noticed muscle has decreased and fat distribution has changed (more fat on chest).

Got my testosterone checked with NHS and it came in at 9 nmol/L, which is really low.

Despite having symptoms of low test... NHS don't want to treat me because it's above 8. Also, they say there are no underlying conditions causing it.

Never done steroids or anything like that, but I feel like it's dropped a lot over the past 10 years or so.

I want to take TRT, I think it will benefit me massively, but not sure how to get it in the UK and what type I should be looking at.

Can anyone help?

3 hours ago, FullPlanche said:

Hi,

I've been going to the gym for around 10 years now. I was in really good shape when younger (around 22).

I'm 31 now, noticed muscle has decreased and fat distribution has changed (more fat on chest).

Got my testosterone checked with NHS and it came in at 9 nmol/L, which is really low.

Despite having symptoms of low test... NHS don't want to treat me because it's above 8. Also, they say there are no underlying conditions causing it.

Never done steroids or anything like that, but I feel like it's dropped a lot over the past 10 years or so.

I want to take TRT, I think it will benefit me massively, but not sure how to get it in the UK and what type I should be looking at.

Can anyone help?

total testostorone level or free?  What about other levels? 

you Need to get a full male hormone (medichecks) blood test done, see where ALL your levels at, learn what these levels are and how they relate to your body And how you’re feeling, then you’ll much have a better idea of what’s going on and what to do. 

NHS are useless with these kindof things. It’s considered abit of a misunderstood area of medical practice in this country (and others). Best you’ll be looking at if you continue down that route imo is more blood tests, maybe seeing a endocrinologist months down the line, further tests and then possibly gels and if you’re extremely lucky Nebido injections - I’ll let you google and read peoples experiences regarding that to pass judgement yourself.

Of course it could be some underlying condition, most likely it’s some kind of Hypogonadism. But truth is your level, (I’m assuming it’s a total testosterone level), is within the normal range. Its not optimal, it’s not perhaps ideal for the physical Attributes you seek or maybe it’s the lethargic/brain fog stuff that bugs you. Either way it’s not life threatening and so NHS arent really Bothered.  If you managed to show them multiple blood tests with low levels, and maybe you have high prolactin or other hormonal issues, then maybe they’ll take you more seriously. 

TRT (For most) means injections Weekly for life. your body will stop producing it’s own testosterone and be reliant on an external supply, for good. There are Physical and cost implications you have to consider for your whole life so do your research and make a decision wisely. Don’t just jump into it.  There are guys on here who know their stuff (and as they have done for me) will answer your questions and help you out.

You’ll either use a UGL (underground lab); buying testosterone online etc and self administering your own injections, which comes with the risk of not knowing What you’re getting.  (fairly common, but more so with steroid use/body building).   

OR you go to a private clinic/doctor (most popular ones are mentioned multiple times on these forums), mostly likely you’ll receive private prescriptions/medication and self administer your own shots. Some are very expensive and a rip off IMO, others are more reasonably priced. I talk about my experience in a thread I have on here and recommend That clinic. That’s not to say others aren’t great, they might offer the best service but if you can’t afford it, it’s out of the question. 

OR if you’re lucky you’ll find a GP who will treat you on the NHS, someone who’s helpful and knowledgeable (good luck with that one). 

9nmol isn’t really low, it’s at the lower end of what you’d expect but it’s above where the NHS will treat you. I’ve had a positive experience with them as my levels were REALLY low and I was put on treatment without question.

as above, don’t just jump into private treatment, it’s a lifelong commitment and some less scrupulous clinics will try and bleed you dry