Hi All,

I am beginning going to the gym next week with the goal of bulking and have a plan set out and would like any advice or comments letting me know im on the right track.

My gym plan is, Day 1 will be shoulders, triceps and chest, Day 2 will be legs and Day 3 will be back and biceps with 1 rest day and then repeat.

My diet is as follows;

Breakfast (9-10am): Bowl oatmeal with half a banana and 2 boiled eggs. I will drink a protein shake about half an hour after.

Snack (11:30-12:00am): Peanut butter bagel with half a banana

Lunch (13:00-14:00): Chicken Breast, Brocoli, Rice

Snack (16:00-16:30): Chicken wrap with spinach and lettuce

I hit the gym at 18:00

After Gym (19:00-19:30) protein shake

Dinner (20:00): Chicken breast, brocoli and pasta.

Then sleep. 

Any comments to let me know im on the right track or to give me some advice would be much appreciated. 

On 5/20/2020 at 12:31 PM, tjtj99 said:

Any comments to let me know im on the right track or to give me some advice would be much appreciated

It looks nice and healthy! The problem with any diet.....is sticking to it. Any plans for days where you eat crisps and chocolate?

What is important is the calorie and macro split. It doesn’t really matter what food sources you get your carbs, protein and fat from, so long as it’s reasonably balanced and you are getting 0.8 grams of protein per pound of lean bodyweight. You need to work out your approximate body fat. Google body fat images and look in the mirror. If it’s about 20% and you weigh 200lbs then you subtract 20% so it’s 0.8 x 160 = 120g of protein a day.

Work out your tdee here https://tdeecalculator.net/ This will calculate bulking calories and macros for you.

Download MyFitnessPal to your phone and track what you eat.

Weigh yourself weekly at the same time on the same day with the same scales placed on the same floor surface and adjust calories if you aren’t gaining or if you are gaining too much weight.

Edit - you don’t have to eat 6 times a day. If you want or prefer to that's fine but you can just do breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Thanks alot for the advice and information. I'm new to all of this so I need to educate myself on the calorie and macro split. Yeah my body weight is just under 20% and I have no plans for eating chocolate and crisps as I don't eat them much in general, just the very odd time I get a craving but it's rare enough. I'l probably treat myself to 2 takeaways a month though ? I don't think I'll have a problem sticking to it but on paper, is that a good diet for me to bulk up? Would you reccomend adding anything or switching anything?  Thanks again. 

39 minutes ago, tjtj99 said:

Thanks alot for the advice and information. I'm new to all of this so I need to educate myself on the calorie and macro split. Yeah my body weight is just under 20% and I have no plans for eating chocolate and crisps as I don't eat them much in general, just the very odd time I get a craving but it's rare enough. I'l probably treat myself to 2 takeaways a month though ? I don't think I'll have a problem sticking to it but on paper, is that a good diet for me to bulk up? Would you reccomend adding anything or switching anything?  Thanks again. 

Pretty sure @Sasnak has covered everything. The fitness apps to track your food intake are great, although I learned the old fashioned way with scales and reading packets etc (good apprenticeship)
One you know how many cals you’re eating, you just need an online calorie checker to learn what you need for maintenance, then make sure you’re eating 3-500 cals more. 

Nothing wrong with a shake in the morning, but I’d go for eggs instead mate. 

Good Luck :thumbup1:

2 hours ago, tjtj99 said:

Would you reccomend adding anything or switching anything?

Not at all. Just keep it simple. People massively overcomplicate things.

To build muscle you need 3 things. Training with progressive overload, eating in surplus calories and adequate rest and recovery. If these are in place you’ll grow. 

Diet is the most over complicated aspect and it needn’t be. Based on what you’ve posted you’ll grow providing you are eating more calories in a day than you are burning. I’m afraid it’s impossible to eat the exact right amount so fat gain is inevitable and can be addressed with a cut at a later date.

I cannot stress enough how important the eating in surplus is. The tdee calculator I linked gives examples of macro split and it really doesn’t matter how you get the calories in. If one day you eat more fat, fine. If another you eat more carbs, fine again. Massive amounts of protein aren’t as important as the industry that sells them would have you believe. A bull is a massive muscular creature and you don’t see them swigging protein shakes. I don’t personally use them but the 1 shake you propose is a good idea to bump up the amount of protein to be on the safe side.

Eat what you want. Just make sure you eat enough and monitor your weight weekly. If you start getting too fat drop the calories. Aim for plus 500 to start. Adjustment is usually required.

1 hour ago, jd said:

You still need to read the packets, MyFitnessPal isn’t always correct, most is user imputed data and people can f**k up

Agree with this but it’s still the most useful guide I’ve ever had. Most of the anomalies are with macros for dry and cooked food (rice, pasta, etc) so yeah, check the packet too.

Once you get used to it and have built up a database (it remembers what you’ve input previously so you don’t have to keep scanning it) it’s pretty easy to navigate.

5 minutes ago, Sasnak said:

Agree with this but it’s still the most useful guide I’ve ever had. Most of the anomalies are with macros for dry and cooked food (rice, pasta, etc) so yeah, check the packet too.

Once you get used to it and have built up a database (it remembers what you’ve input previously so you don’t have to keep scanning it) it’s pretty easy to navigate.

Completely agree I use it for saving meals I make from scratch, spag Bol, chilli, turkey burgers ect. Takes loads of guess work out and can put a full days food into it in about 5min after a couple of weeks use so well worth sticking to