Sign in to follow this  
pinting

Melatonin

During lockdown I've been trying melatonin to help me sleep. I can't say I'm convinced on helping me sleep, but as I'm trying to lose weight, an added bonus I've found is it's suppressing of appetite the following day.

Has anyone had any positive experiences? Looking for recommendations of the best brands, dosage to help you get to sleep, whether you need to occasionally come off etc.

I've read a few negative reviews which suggest melatonin supplementation impacts your endogenous supply, but most professionals say its safe.

Cheers

7 minutes ago, faipdeooiad said:

I’m using Hi-Tech pharma’s phases release melatonin. 

it’s 3mg quick release and 7mg slow release. I’m liking it but don’t use it all too often, maybe 3-4 times a month max.

thanks for the reply, how effective is it for getting to sleep?

I have some and find it helps me drop off if I'm fairly relaxed. But if agitated even slightly it doesn't help at all.  Also find that hay fever tablet can help. 

But I miss at least one whole nights sleep each week.  And have Zoplicone for when I've not slept at all for 2 nights in a row. 

On "good " nights I only sleep about 4 or 5 hours. 

25 minutes ago, sean m said:

I have some and find it helps me drop off if I'm fairly relaxed. But if agitated even slightly it doesn't help at all.  Also find that hay fever tablet can help. 

But I miss at least one whole nights sleep each week.  And have Zoplicone for when I've not slept at all for 2 nights in a row. 

On "good " nights I only sleep about 4 or 5 hours. 

Oh I'm sorry to hear that mate! I was in the same boat, this book I read by Matthew Walker called "Why We Sleep" is why I'm now trying to get 8 hours a night. Not so much for bodybuilding, because my family has a history of Alzheimer's, and the dream phase of sleep is so beneficial for the brain. Yeah hay fever tablets, benzos and alcohol help me sleep as well, but unfortunately they negatively impact the dream phase of sleep. Only melatonin seems to avoid affecting the dream phase (according to clinical trials it actually increases REM).

Here's a talk by the guy, the first sentence probably most relevant for this forum :lol:

I've been pretty reliant on it for about a year now, 10mg a night. Much healthier than many other forms of sleeping tablets that a lot of people pop most nights.

my missus using melatonin sometimes before bed, and shes also used it in the afternoons if she feels a bit edgy from work or feels her anxiety is up.

she just has 1ml and its enough to chill her out.

i get her the Yamamoto Nutrition Melatonin, pharma grade;

https://www.yamamotonutrition.com/eng/melatovil_pr31280

Ive used the Flex Lewis Regexil pre-bed sleeping aid, that puts me into a very deep sleep. That product has both Melatonin and GABA in it;

https://www.yamamotonutrition.com/eng/regexil_eu_version_pr31405