JeffBenz

Effectiveness of upper/lower split

I recently bought an upper/lower training programme from RP and wanted some help/advice on the effectiveness. For example I hit triceps with 3-4 exercises per week but they are split over 2-3 days so I’m only doing 1 triceps exercise per day maybe 2 at the max, which doesn’t feel like it’s sufficient. Is it better to hit a muscle group in one go or does it not matter if it’s spread over a week as long as I do 2-4 exercises for the  muscle group. 

Thank you 

Splits are dependant on experience, time available, goals and ability.

Personally, for someone new to the gym I recommend a push pull legs split.

I train 4 days a week or did before this nonsense, if you train with enough intensity then one exercise pet day per body part will be fine.

I think it depends on the type of exercise and the intensity for example if you do 4 exercises per week for triceps and that's close grip bench, weighted dips, overhead press, regular bench, then this is enough and may even be too much. but if you do say tricep extension machine 4 times a week on low weight it might not get much results. 

On 15/05/2020 at 8:13 PM, JeffBenz said:

I recently bought an upper/lower training programme from RP and wanted some help/advice on the effectiveness. For example I hit triceps with 3-4 exercises per week but they are split over 2-3 days so I’m only doing 1 triceps exercise per day maybe 2 at the max, which doesn’t feel like it’s sufficient. Is it better to hit a muscle group in one go or does it not matter if it’s spread over a week as long as I do 2-4 exercises for the  muscle group. 

Thank you 

Do the program from renaissance as written. Its pur together based on the most recent science on volume numbers, frequency and a whole lot of experience from good coaching. 

I have a lot of respect for Mike and the guys at RP.... but man do they over complicate simple things.

Personally I’d recommend you find an U/L split from Dante (DC dogcrapp). Far simpler and equally if not more effective than trying to understand concepts like MRV, MEV, MAV, RIR when you are new to lifting.