UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

Boxing bag gains?

301 views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  monkeybiker 
#1 ·
No weights just punching a bag for the next 2-3 months?

im thinking of renting some type of space i can put a punch bag up and do like 1hr on the bag 5 times a week in place of any other resistance training,

has anyone got good gains from just doing this alone? Would it even be possible and beneficial to go on cycle?

i have come to the conclusion "a bit late i know" that i will not be back in the gym for next 2-3months so i need a solid plan.

i have no weights and im too fat for bodyweight exercises

#2 ·
1hr on the bag 5 times a week
Good luck with that mate lol. Just you saying that tells me you don't know what it takes. Bet you stop after 10 mins :lol: .

When I played rugby I was super fit, pre season and in the winter we'd train in a gym. We'd use pad and bag work in the circuits.

All the best mate but your probably best doing a HIIT style workout/ Tabtata for 10 mins.

#8 ·
Good luck with that mate lol. Just you saying that tells me you don't know what it takes. Bet you stop after 10 mins :lol: .

When I played rugby I was super fit, pre season and in the winter we'd train in a gym. We'd use pad and bag work in the circuits.

All the best mate but your probably best doing a HIIT style workout/ Tabtata for 10 mins.
Ha, yes your probably right, i haven't hit a bag in over 10 years, will probably hurt my hand :lol:

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well I would not expect bodybuling like gains to be made, but punching the bag is great for your heart and it also incorporates shoulders, lats, forearms,core, even a bit of legs, you will get more endurance and wil lbuild some(a small amount) of muscle. I would also use some body weights suqats, pull ups, push ups, hit the bag, sprints ,skipping rope and use em like a circuit now that will build some muscle.

You might want to also skip the expert advice most are roid junkies who can't run more than 5 mins so in the end of the day do what feels best.

#23 ·
As above, use the time to drop a bit of weight, jog ,skip, shadow boxing's good cardio if done correctly, do it on none running days, if you have a bag use it, body weight squats etc. Pick up some weights a a bench when you get chance, plenty to do. Probably leave your gear till gyms open or you get a decent home set up, up to you though

#24 ·
No weights just punching a bag for the next 2-3 months?

im thinking of renting some type of space i can put a punch bag up and do like 1hr on the bag 5 times a week in place of any other resistance training,

has anyone got good gains from just doing this alone? Would it even be possible and beneficial to go on cycle?

i have come to the conclusion "a bit late i know" that i will not be back in the gym for next 2-3months so i need a solid plan.

i have no weights and im too fat for bodyweight exercises
Add in conditioning workouts (YouTube them) push ups, squats etc.

Chins 8f you can.

#25 ·
Most important thing is not to sit around doing nothing while you wait for the perfect routine or equipment to arrive. The gyms might be shut but in that time you've had nothing stopping you from walking (fast or with added load), jogging, short sprints, bodyweight exercises, shadow boxing, jogging on the spot and so on and so forth. If losing weight is your main concern, and if it isn't it reads like it should be then get moving, it doesn't matter what, anything is better than nothing, start writing down what you eat so you can be honest and look to improve the quality of what you eat. If you're drinking, stop or severely reduce. None of this is new or secret. As for the bag work, I used to be able to do 10 x 3mins with around 80% power average throughout and that was very very hard, tears in the eyes hard at the end and with 1 minute between rounds that adds up to less than 40 minutes so no way will you be doing an hour bag work. Also it might seem fun at first but on the 5th day it's going to get boring very quickly! It's a great tool but I'd use it for 3 x 2 minute rounds to start, hard, trust me, 3 x 2 minutes hitting fairly constantly with over 80-90% power is unbelievably taxing so start light and build from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.