Sign in to follow this  
Jackoffblades

Gym open

5 minutes ago, Malin said:

Gyms were one of the last places to close though alongside remaining non essential businesses.

The government is pushing people to exercise more by now allowing to leave the house to exercise outside as often as you like so reopening the gyms can't be miles away.

hopefully as i some of my friends are suffering with mental health, brother in law is one, and they use the gym to help with anxiety etc.

unfortunately gyms are dirty places in terms of germs. Sweat on equipment, people touching everything, even things like air conditioning blowing germs around, so i cant see them opening for ages yet.

i cant even see it working if they say only allow so many people in per sq ft of room inside the gym, be chaos with people trying to book in and train.

i cant wait to see the queue outside fecking Greggs when they open lol. 2m apart, fat gits be queuing miles. Same with McD's, be traffic jams everywhere when drive throughs reopen.

3 minutes ago, Clubber Lang said:

hopefully as i some of my friends are suffering with mental health, brother in law is one, and they use the gym to help with anxiety etc.

unfortunately gyms are dirty places in terms of germs. Sweat on equipment, people touching everything, even things like air conditioning blowing germs around, so i cant see them opening for ages yet.

i cant even see it working if they say only allow so many people in per sq ft of room inside the gym, be chaos with people trying to book in and train.

i cant wait to see the queue outside fecking Greggs when they open lol. 2m apart, fat gits be queuing miles. Same with McD's, be traffic jams everywhere when drive throughs reopen.

Absolutely agree with all of that. 

As I mentioned in the mental health thread, I train for my mental health more so than physical health. It’s an awesome way of relieving stress that creates anxiety. 

3 minutes ago, invisiblekid said:

Absolutely agree with all of that. 

As I mentioned in the mental health thread, I train for my mental health more so than physical health. It’s an awesome way of relieving stress that creates anxiety. 

hope it doesnt get on top of you too much mate. My missus have OCD and anxiety issues, runs in her family. Luckily we've borrowed some equipment from our gym, not a lot, but enough for the basics. Since having a coach and training properly the missus has managed to lower some of her meds, which is a massive positive. Shes doing ok mentally at the moment, as we can do a lot with the tools we've borrowed, but if we didnt have them im sure she'll be struggling mentally. He brothers the same, just got started again in the gym, helping with his health issues, then they shut. Not good but it is was it is. Worry of work, unable to train, being in lockdown, not good for anyone.

Public gyms will not open this year and many will close down.  The rents on these buildings are astronomical and unless they can persuade members to carry on paying subscriptions they can't carry on. I for one am not paying an "empty" subscription 

25 minutes ago, Clubber Lang said:

Just quoted this because in another thread some think I’m talking crap. At least I’m not the only one if it transpires that gyms really are cesspits

1 minute ago, Fletch68 said:

Public gyms will not open this year and many will close down.  The rents on these buildings are astronomical and unless they can persuade members to carry on paying subscriptions they can't carry on. I for one am not paying an "empty" subscription 

Someone else who gets it. 

Booking time slots will never work. Peak time is peak for a reason as that's the only time most people are able to train - between 5.30 and 7.30. Most gyms aren't big enough to allow that many in so nearly everyone won't be able to train and then how far in advanced are you allowed to book? If its day by day you will have to be on their website or app at 12am and then there will be queues and those that won't get a slot will still have to pay membership fees. Also those that are training will have to keep 2m apart which is impossible unless it's some sort of circuit training as everyone has their own routines. I'll stick to resistance bands they are doing me a good turn at the moment 

32 minutes ago, Clubber Lang said:

You don't spread or get infected by the virus through sweat and the gyms enforcing proper etiquette of wiping down the equipment after use as well as doing nightly deep cleaning should mitigate a lot of risk.

So much doom and gloom in this thread lol, I don't think the gyms are that bad when it comes to risk catching the virus compared to supermarkets now or the public transport when people start getting back to work.

18 minutes ago, Malin said:

I don't think the gyms are that bad when it comes to risk catching the virus compared to supermarkets

I don’t think this is the case though. Pick it up, chuck it in your trolley (the handle of which you sanitised before you went in although personally I haven’t bothered) pay by contactless and feck off.

Admittedly you do see idiots who don’t seem to want the tin of rice pudding at the front in the shelf and will insist on touching at least half a dozen to check there isn’t a small dent in the tin.

Setting that aside the main difference between gyms and supermarkets is we’d all starve if we couldn’t purchase food. Gyms are unnecessary set again this.

I don’t use public transport. I think the transport issues are mainly going to affect London. 

31 minutes ago, Sasnak said:

Someone else who gets it. 

So why are UK so different to the rest of Europe and the US then? I think your getting a bit carried away with it all.

Gyms across most of Europe are opening over the coming weeks and are in phase 1 in the US also. UK will be doing just the same once the daily infection rates drop enough and ole Boris  starts phase 1/2.

As a few have mentioned above how important exercise is for well being and mental health. No chance the UK does the opposite from the rest of the world .

8 minutes ago, Baz-- said:

So why are UK so different to the rest of Europe and the US then?

Hope you are right. Just can’t see it. I think my mindset partly comes down to my years as an underwriter working in the insurance industry. You assume and plan for the absolute worst case scenario and hope it doesn’t turn out that way. 

15 minutes ago, Sasnak said:

Hope you are right. Just can’t see it. I think my mindset partly comes down to my years as an underwriter working in the insurance industry. You assume and plan for the absolute worst case scenario and hope it doesn’t turn out that way. 

Whilst the worst certainly CAN happen, the truth is that the worst only really happens a very small % of the time, whether this be a fire/flood or fatality.

That being said, I have no god damn idea what so ever when gyms will re-open. I know it can't come soon enough,

3 hours ago, Clubber Lang said:

i cant see bars and gyms opening till mid-late summer. First things to shut will be the last to open.

personally i think its all BS and a man-made disaster. I believe it wasnt a man-made virus but the media has created this World wide f**k up.

should let the healthy free and those that already havent been exposed get exposed, you cant hide from it. You can get it and no have any symptoms. Let your immunity deal with it.

NHS hosiptals, ICU wards, no ones in them. Theyre more than ready for the "2nd" wave BS.

No ones in them because of lockdown ffs. 

1 hour ago, Malin said:

You don't spread or get infected by the virus through sweat and the gyms enforcing proper etiquette of wiping down the equipment after use as well as doing nightly deep cleaning should mitigate a lot of risk.

So much doom and gloom in this thread lol, I don't think the gyms are that bad when it comes to risk catching the virus compared to supermarkets now or the public transport when people start getting back to work.

It's the touching things. And sweat gives a virus somewhere to survive for a bit and transfer more easily. 

Depending on how salty it is.

38 minutes ago, Bish83 said:

IMG-20200507-WA0002.jpg

Those stats are only to the end of March. We didn’t see the first Covid death (officially) until 6th March.

More interesting would be March to May.

Edit:

I’ve just checked out the 5yr average of deaths to week 1-17 vs 2020.

5yr average: 195,000

2021: 229,000

I wonder where the extra 30k came from. Any guesses?

2 hours ago, Clubber Lang said:

Same with McD's, be traffic jams everywhere when drive throughs reopen.

It's going to be absolute chaos when McDonald's open. Just avoid any roads near them or you wont be getting anywhere.

1 hour ago, Sasnak said:

Just quoted this because in another thread some think I’m talking crap. At least I’m not the only one if it transpires that gyms really are cesspits

I only go to the gym to build up my immunity. 

36 minutes ago, BLUE(UK) said:

I only go to the gym to build up my immunity. 

I only go to Barwell if I have to. Tip is shut atm so I’m not likely to visit soon.

Here in Italy probably some will reopen the may 18. 2 meters distance from each other, no locker room, maximum 1 hour training. Oh, and controlled number of guests. Forgive my english

10 minutes ago, Ferenor said:

Here in Italy probably some will reopen the may 18. 2 meters distance from each other, no locker room, maximum 1 hour training. Oh, and controlled number of guests. Forgive my english

Some positive news then! You guys were much stricter than us aswell..gyms are already open in my mrs country (Czech)

3 hours ago, Clubber Lang said:

hope it doesnt get on top of you too much mate. My missus have OCD and anxiety issues, runs in her family. Luckily we've borrowed some equipment from our gym, not a lot, but enough for the basics. Since having a coach and training properly the missus has managed to lower some of her meds, which is a massive positive. Shes doing ok mentally at the moment, as we can do a lot with the tools we've borrowed, but if we didnt have them im sure she'll be struggling mentally. He brothers the same, just got started again in the gym, helping with his health issues, then they shut. Not good but it is was it is. Worry of work, unable to train, being in lockdown, not good for anyone.

Thank you dude, I'm all good at the moment. I can relate to every word of your post however. I've been there. I don't really like to talk too much about it publicly, but I think when discussing how things impact us and having reasoned debates/arguments, it's good to understand each others perspective. 

I didn't have any kit for around three weeks at the start of lockdown. It felt like I was about do undo everything I've worked for over the past five or six years in three bloody weeks. I wasn't but anxiety isn't rational. True OCD is a c**t. About 14 months ago I was close to a breakdown again. OCD crept in again. Feeling that everything I did had some kind of consequence. As you'll know, OCD isn't about lining stuff up neatly, it's about fearing something really fu**ing horrible is going to happen if you do or don't do something in a certain way. That pressure in your mind is awful.

I really feel for you and your wife mate. Good luck on beating it, or at least controlling it. Much of it is about control in one way or another. I think waking up to that is what helped me. 

I'm also working from home (I work in IT, so I've been really busy!), but I do live alone (blessing and a curse), so it's difficult for me to see the impact on others when I'm pretty blinkered. 

The thing is surely we are all going to have to catch it at some point otherwise let's never leave the house? It wont vanish away over night magically. 

You could be tested today and be fine but catch it tomorrow. I just don't know what government are doing? Yes, lockdown worked to ease the pressure on the NHS but now what and how long are we supposed to protect the nhs and "live" life indoors.

It's sad so many have died but most that have are of dying age or had some form of underlining health issues. 

If chaps in their teens or 20s / 30s that were healthy were to be dropping like flies due to covid then I could understand this isolation and mass panic.

I dunno, bored of it now. The number of deaths each day don't even register to me on an emotion level now. 

Rent over