Sign in to follow this  
vetran

Let’s get to the bottom of this depression and anxiety thing

Nothing to have or want back when we were younger. A bed under a roof that doesn’t leak. A heater in the winter and food to eat. Happy with that. That’s one of the issues these days I’m afraid.

With that said parts of the nineteen seventies were fvcking grim.

World full of special people nowadays that have to make a fuss out of anything and everything. Was just watching the documentary about David Walliums swimming the channel and realised even Little Britain would be unable to be aired these days due to the PC brigade 

1 hour ago, vetran said:

Why is everyone suffering from it these days ,in my day everyone was happy as fck even when we had a basin hair cut 

You found the Internet and started posting 

7 hours ago, Sasnak said:

A bed under a roof that doesn’t leak. A heater in the winter and food to eat. Happy with that. That’s one of the issues these days I’m afraid.

You must have been a posh git.

I've seen @vetran s old photos, he worked 15 hours a day on a building site, and owned one flat cap, one vest, one pair of jeans, shared a pair of trainers with his mate, and stayed in a caravan.

7 hours ago, drwae said:

World full of special people nowadays that have to make a fuss out of anything and everything. Was just watching the documentary about David Walliums swimming the channel and realised even Little Britain would be unable to be aired these days due to the PC brigade 

There was loads of complaints about little.britain on the charity thing the other day 

I’ve suffered crippling anxiety and it isn’t fun. And I’m not ashamed to say I’ve seen a therapist.

However, I do think it’s become almost a fashion to claim anxiety or depression. Most people don’t suffer anxiety, they’re a bit worried. Same with depression, they’re just a bit sad/miserable, even grieving. Big, big differences.

Social media has created an awareness, not a bad thing, but also a platform for attention. In fact, social media has a lot to answer for in all of this. 

It’s also hard to over look then use of drugs too. Right from Alcohol, to Class As, Steroids and of course Weed, which all know is ‘harmless’ and cures AIDS...

There are some genuine cases out there, but I think many just need to stop being a bunch of cry babies and toughen up a bit.

33 minutes ago, invisiblekid said:

I’ve suffered crippling anxiety and it isn’t fun. And I’m not ashamed to say I’ve seen a therapist.

However, I do think it’s become almost a fashion to claim anxiety or depression. Most people don’t suffer anxiety, they’re a bit worried. Same with depression, they’re just a bit sad/miserable, even grieving. Big, big differences.

Social media has created an awareness, not a bad thing, but also a platform for attention. In fact, social media has a lot to answer for in all of this. 

It’s also hard to over look then use of drugs too. Right from Alcohol, to Class As, Steroids and of course Weed, which all know is ‘harmless’ and cures AIDS...

There are some genuine cases out there, but I think many just need to stop being a bunch of cry babies and toughen up a bit.

Spot on about people needing to toughen up and stop being cry babies. 100% correct. All you get these days are pathetic wimps who are essentially losers in life. 

2 hours ago, mrwright said:

There was loads of complaints about little.britain on the charity thing the other day 

What does an Indian doctor prescribe to a PC-nazi to calm them down?

Walliums!

I remember starting work in 1978 and all the older the guys were going on about how shite things were now and how it wasn’t like it used to be. My old fella started in the RAF in 1957 and says it was just the same then. I reckon it’s almost inherent for humans to think things are worse now than before and to absolutely believe that to be true.

3 hours ago, mrwright said:

‘Corbynites’ shouting “racism”. How ironic the Labour Party were the first political party in history to be investigated on racism charges.

Imagine if that bearded freak actually won the election. 

PC = Political *untishness

33 minutes ago, js77 said:

‘Corbynites’ shouting “racism”. How ironic the Labour Party were the first political party in history to be investigated on racism charges.

Imagine if that bearded freak actually won the election. 

PC = Political *untishness

Another thread becoming political. 

To the OP. It's because we spent more time out with the friends. Rode bikes , collected football stickers. 

2 hours ago, invisiblekid said:

Couldn't agree more.

So many attention seekers with a perennial victim mentality using social media to gain sympathy. It's a kind of contagious Munchausen's syndrome.

Paramedics will tell you, if you attend an accident with multiple patients, ignore the ones that are screaming. They're conscious and breathing, and there's usually very little wrong with them. Worry first about the ones that are quiet and still, as they're usually the ones with potentially more serious injuries.

From what i've seen, this is undoubtably true for those with mental health issues. If someone's plastering how hard their life is all over social media, they'll get zero f**ks given from me. Deal with your own s**t or don't. I'm not interested!

The sooner people stop lavishing fake sympathy on attention seekers, the sooner society can help those with genuine mental health issues.

Myriad of reasons this generation have that mindset, suffice to say as kids MY generation were thankful for all we had: Free school dinners, hand-me-down clothes, an old football, etc, etc. And *ucking drugs/ medication are huge influence. Apart from some pencillin on two occassions I haven't taken a drug in 59 years- they all implode in some way or another and *uck you up. Pyschologically this generation are dependant make no mistake

3 hours ago, Kazza61 said:

I remember starting work in 1978 and all the older the guys were going on about how shite things were now and how it wasn’t like it used to be. My old fella started in the RAF in 1957 and says it was just the same then. I reckon it’s almost inherent for humans to think things are worse now than before and to absolutely believe that to be true.

Yep, I agree with that. I like to call it the "good old days syndrome" or looking back with rose tinted glasses. 

The fact is we are living in the best, most priveledged time ever in the history of the human race,what with all the medical and scientific advances. 

Anxiety used to save us from getting eaten by a saber toothed tiger, these days though that threat along with most life threatening situations have all but vanished from our lives, our brains however haven't caught up, so we still have anxiety programmed in to us as survival mechanism, but without the threat, we become anxious over the little things that wouldn't of mattered a jot in times gone by. 

4 hours ago, invisiblekid said:

I agree, I've also experienced serious anxiety, and until you've been through it you have no right to dismiss it.

I've broken bones and snapped ligaments, and there's no comparison - anxiety is much more painful. It's  absolutely crippling. 

Unfortunately it somehow became cool for people to say they suffer from depression, it's mostly a form of attention seeking and is indicative of today's social media world. People may take mental health more serious if these prats didn't trivialise it so much.

I too grew up in the "old school" days; no computers, building dens all day etc etc, but it hit me a few years ago and can get anyone at any time, trust me. I'm still on medication for it now.

People think that life is all happy and fun. When they got a s**t patch they can't cope. 

Not saying this for everyone, obviously when it comes to someone taking their own life, you know it's serious but some people think being down or having a bad day means you're depressed. Or worrying about your job or bills etc means you have anxiety. 

Being sad or concerned or worried etc are normal feelings. People think those feelings shouldn't exist.