Sign in to follow this  
Lovelyjubly

Warm up routine.

In the gym I would normally get on a treadmill and set the incline high and do a fast walk for about about 5 minutes or so to get a bit of a sweat on. Then for my lifts do a warm up with about 30-50% of my working weight and pyramid the weight up for each set. 

15 minutes ago, Lovelyjubly said:

I have a tendinitis in my elbow and a slight rotary cuff issue. Which I've rested for long spells. But sadly it's stuck by me. Other than an warmups which I do. Does anyone know any sort of support sleeve etc I can use for it for benching etc. I have 1 for my elbows.

I use the standard elasticated cotton/polyester ones that you can get from any chemist. 

I don’t rate neoprene for joints. 

2 minutes ago, Spieren said:

I use the standard elasticated cotton/polyester ones that you can get from any chemist. 

I don’t rate neoprene for joints. 

The ones I posted work really well, the ones you mention are to thin for me, the thick ones are to thick, but these Goldilocks ones are just right lol

4 hours ago, Ken Hutchinson said:

My knees and hips are fcuked these days, so I have changed things around on leg days, I now start with leg presses to warm up, I find it easier to warm into than squats, so I put a plate on each side and do  20 slow controlled reps, add another plate 18 reps, another plate 15 reps, etc down to 8 plates for 10 reps, then I do squats with just one or two sets of 8/10 to see how I feel then take it from there.

Ken, you do 8 plates per side?  That’s a lot of weight, the most I can do is 6 plates, then a few little ‘uns to get it up to about 300 total.  That’s on a good day by the way.  Most days I stick to around 200 tops. I think my eyes would explode if I tried heavier, and as I’m so short I have to bring two thick mats over so. Y feet can rea the plates as it’s set for the big guys, and not short arses like me:lol:..

forgot to say, I generally do one or two light weights for a few reps then go straight into my main sets. On leg and glutes day I do some activation drills then get on with it.

25 minutes ago, Flubs said:

Ken, you do 8 plates per side?  That’s a lot of weight, the most I can do is 6 plates, then a few little ‘uns to get it up to about 300 total.  That’s on a good day by the way.  Most days I stick to around 200 tops. I think my eyes would explode if I tried heavier, and as I’m so short I have to bring two thick mats over so. Y feet can rea the plates as it’s set for the big guys, and not short arses like me:lol:..

forgot to say, I generally do one or two light weights for a few reps then go straight into my main sets. On leg and glutes day I do some activation drills then get on with it.

I probably weigh more than you Flubs, i'm not huge by any means, 16 stone so not really that impressive, your weights for your size are far Superior to mine 6 plates a side blows my 8 plates a side out of the water, plus leg press machine are not al the same, some are easier than others.

24 minutes ago, Ken Hutchinson said:

I probably weigh more than you Flubs, i'm not huge by any means, 16 stone so not really that impressive, your weights for your size are far Superior to mine 6 plates a side blows my 8 plates a side out of the water, plus leg press machine are not al the same, some are easier than others.

That’s very gracious of you Ken, but I don’t do 300 regularly, and.....ahem.....sad to say, I’m built like a brick sh.......t house,. Slim and sexy I ain’t.....ha ha. Thank you though.:)

im sure you would wipe floor with me if we trained together....that’s if you could actually lift me..:lol::lol:   

6 minutes ago, Flubs said:

That’s very gracious of you Ken, but I don’t do 300 regularly, and.....ahem.....sad to say, I’m built like a brick sh.......t house,. Slim and sexy I ain’t.....ha ha. Thank you though.:)

im sure you would wipe floor with me if we trained together....that’s if you could actually lift me..:lol::lol:   

Slim and sexy is over rated anyway Flubs, give me a real women every time:)

1 hour ago, Ken Hutchinson said:

Slim and sexy is over rated anyway Flubs, give me a real women every time:)

Sir, I salute you with my Irish coffee.......

cheers C8EDEFC4-EA3A-40B1-B064-1BF5C004D2F6.thumb.jpeg.574f1ae45e34b0f03b9ad963596585e0.jpeg

and no, I haven’t got a proper glass but it still does the job.. :)

7 hours ago, Ken Hutchinson said:

My knees and hips are fcuked these days, so I have changed things around on leg days, I now start with leg presses to warm up, I find it easier to warm into than squats, so I put a plate on each side and do  20 slow controlled reps, add another plate 18 reps, another plate 15 reps, etc down to 8 plates for 10 reps, then I do squats with just one or two sets of 8/10 to see how I feel then take it from there.

Mate try doing ham string curls 3x20 before you you do anything it should help massively 

Warm up on the exercise I’m going to train working the weight up to working sets... for some reason I’ll still do this on my last tri so exercise even if I’ve trained chest before and done 3 tricep movements already lol

7 hours ago, Seppuku71 said:

Always, especially if you've got sore joints.  I'd get the one i posted above though, tiger balm smells nice but i've never noticed much heat wise from it.

if you have a sore joint maybe you should postpone your exercise. or at least not exercise the bodypart that contains that joint.

couple of minutes of energetic waving my limbs in all dimensions usually works for me fine as a warm up. that and maybe couple of burpees.

1 hour ago, Jakemaguire said:

Mate try doing ham string curls 3x20 before you you do anything it should help massively 

This just reminded me of something I did years ago, if i pumped up my biceps first before doing dips I could really go for it, think I used to get up to 40kg on dips without pain, my biceps seemed to act like a cushion or spring and help bounce me back up.

1 hour ago, fakenattymatty said:

Warm up on the exercise I’m going to train working the weight up to working sets... for some reason I’ll still do this on my last tri so exercise even if I’ve trained chest before and done 3 tricep movements already lol

I follow this way as well. 

Weight increasing and reps diminishing as you work up to your working set

Jordan Peters recommend this way with his full body workout. 

6 hours ago, Flubs said:

The leg press is much better used for volume training imo, so lighter weight and more reps. This keeps you safer as well as stimulating a good amount of hypertrophy. 

Squats are the power movement, i treat them like deadlifts, and i feel that i get more from them with a rep range of 3-8.

19 hours ago, Ken Hutchinson said:

This just reminded me of something I did years ago, if i pumped up my biceps first before doing dips I could really go for it, think I used to get up to 40kg on dips without pain, my biceps seemed to act like a cushion or spring and help bounce me back up.

The bicep is the opposing muscles it contracts to allow the tricep to relax. The hams are huge stabilizers of the knee and most gym bro's over look them and squat wrong then end up with bad knees 

On 07/05/2020 at 3:18 PM, Ken Hutchinson said:

I got some a few years ago 7mm they are to thick I just use a fairly light thin one these days.

Fullscreen capture 07052020 151612.jpg

Thanks @Ken Hutchinson  These arrived Sunday. Went running yesterday and today. Excellent. Leg day this afternoon, that’ll be the real test, pretty confident they won’t disappoint. :thumbup1:

edit: I got the knee supports

On 12/05/2020 at 9:40 AM, Spieren said:

Thanks @Ken Hutchinson  These arrived Sunday. Went running yesterday and today. Excellent. Leg day this afternoon, that’ll be the real test, pretty confident they won’t disappoint. :thumbup1:

edit: I got the knee supports

I have the knee sleeves and the elbow sleeves, glad to have been of help.

Strength Shop do some good sleeves. I recently invested in some SBD knee sleeves/supports to help protect an injury, and they're in a class of their own compared to anything else I've used.

45 minutes ago, invisiblekid said:

Strength Shop do some good sleeves. I recently invested in some SBD knee sleeves/supports to help protect an injury, and they're in a class of their own compared to anything else I've used.

I had an acl graft (hamstring) couple of years ago and have very little cartridge left.  I am on the fence about sleeves as my physio recommended I don't use them but my knee hints that I need them. What injury are you protecting and how much do the sleeves help?

3 minutes ago, a.notherguy said:

I had an acl graft (hamstring) couple of years ago and have very little cartridge left.  I am on the fence about sleeves as my physio recommended I don't use them but my knee hints that I need them. What injury are you protecting and how much do the sleeves help?

ACL repair from years ago and another, unknown injury from Christmas time. I tore my hamstring and ended up with bruising all round my knee but haven't had a scan or a proper examination due to covid. 

I don't feel I need them until I'm past 180kg ish, but I've been using them a bit more frequently and my knee feels much better. I rehab my knee and hamstring separately. 

13 hours ago, invisiblekid said:

ACL repair from years ago and another, unknown injury from Christmas time. I tore my hamstring and ended up with bruising all round my knee but haven't had a scan or a proper examination due to covid. 

I don't feel I need them until I'm past 180kg ish, but I've been using them a bit more frequently and my knee feels much better. I rehab my knee and hamstring separately. 

cheers, i may give them a blast then.

its only recently that i have been able to go full ass to grass on squats and i can really feel it in my knee on anything above 60kg. If i go to parallel then its not as  much of a problem which i guess is to be expected.    

I also feel it in the same place after doing even light romanian deadlifts.  I dont know if its due to lack of quad strength,  lack of hamstring strength (they use a decent chuck of my hamstring in the graft) or just random instability.

I am trying to fix it by dedicating one session to squats and rdl's and another session to rehabbing with light, focuses unitlateral movements, random band work and alot of hopping and jumping (which i look a bit weird doing in my garden at the moment lol).

1 hour ago, a.notherguy said:

cheers, i may give them a blast then.

its only recently that i have been able to go full ass to grass on squats and i can really feel it in my knee on anything above 60kg. If i go to parallel then its not as  much of a problem which i guess is to be expected.    

I also feel it in the same place after doing even light romanian deadlifts.  I dont know if its due to lack of quad strength,  lack of hamstring strength (they use a decent chuck of my hamstring in the graft) or just random instability.

I am trying to fix it by dedicating one session to squats and rdl's and another session to rehabbing with light, focuses unitlateral movements, random band work and alot of hopping and jumping (which i look a bit weird doing in my garden at the moment lol).

If you're feeling it at those weights, I'd concentrate on rehab mate. It sounds like your knee isn't ready tbh.

I wasn't feeling any soreness until 140-160kg, it was only after that (after the initial soreness of getting back - lots of icing etc), which is why I went with sleeves. It took me 2 months to start squatting again after my injury, and 3 months to get any kind of decent weight. I'm still well short of where I was pre-injury and it's been almost 5 months. I've been told it'll be 12 months for full recovery - if I do recover fully.