Sign in to follow this  
Sasnak

What easing of lock down may look like

I work for one of the FM companies who look after the Louisa Jordan it's completely empty. No staff, no patients. It's a showpiece. They've actually removed some of the kit that was put into it and taken it to replace other damaged kit being used in the main hospitals.

On 5/7/2020 at 7:39 PM, Chris Adams said:

I wouldn't pay any attention to what he says. Owning a gym doesn't mean he knows more than anyone else. 

Looks like he was on to something because a couple of days later i read that the government has placed gyms as one of the last establishments to reopen and not before autumn. A government source stated that most likely not until next year which will cause many places to close for good. 

I paid 3 months subscription and 2 days later gyms were shut so i've lost that money. Personally i think it is unnecessary and an extreme over reaction to do this.

6 hours ago, \/\/ said:

Agreed.  It's not like Tesco where you can have a line around the block and only let in 5 people at a time following a one way system 2 metres apart.

And what about future lockdowns?

Just start getting your equipment now.  There's gonna be a rush for equipment when people realise gyms are done for.

They can still operate gyms safely in my opinion. Regular cleaning as before the shutdown and machines and benches are apart anyhow. Same with cardio machines...use every other machine space in the middle. Arrive ready to train do a workout and leave. This is a ridiculous over reaction because businesses will close down. Permanently. 

8 minutes ago, Fletch68 said:

They can still operate gyms safely in my opinion. Regular cleaning as before the shutdown and machines and benches are apart anyhow. Same with cardio machines...use every other machine space in the middle. Arrive ready to train do a workout and leave. This is a ridiculous over reaction because businesses will close down. Permanently. 

How are they going to clean the equipment.? Lots of knurling on bars, bells, machine handles etc. You'd have to deep clean those.

And what about the spit, snot, and sweat that will be floating about in the air?

In fairness, it's difficult to think of many places more conducive to passing on an airborne virus that likes to hang around on hard surfaces.

25 minutes ago, Mingster said:

How are they going to clean the equipment.? Lots of knurling on bars, bells, machine handles etc. You'd have to deep clean those.

And what about the spit, snot, and sweat that will be floating about in the air?

In fairness, it's difficult to think of many places more conducive to passing on an airborne virus that likes to hang around on hard surfaces.

Pretty sure sweat doesn’t carry virus. Not sure who goes around spitting in a gym. Make people wear masks if that’s the case. 

Also, I would rather go to a gym and take my chances over going in a  pub, bar, supermarket or the underground tube for that matter. Where you are in closer proximity to people. 

Gyms could easily be opened and managed safely. 

28 minutes ago, Mylittlepony said:

Gyms could easily be opened and managed safely

Time will tell.

I think everyone sprays a bit of saliva as they grunt and groan through a heavy set. I don't mean gobbing all over the place lol.

9 minutes ago, Mingster said:

I think everyone sprays a bit of saliva as they grunt and groan through a heavy set. I don't mean gobbing all over the place lol.

You’re mistaking the metrosexuals with hard training types. :D

1 hour ago, Sasnak said:

Gyms are cesspits. They ain’t opening anytime soon. Just got to move on I’m afraid 

I've been to cleaner and better maintained gyms than i have restaurants.

7 hours ago, swole troll said:

this really is the case ^

all these wack jobs saying 'you're lifting the lockdown too early' 

A ) it's going to be extremely incremental with the first phase being pathetic (outdoor markets to open and gardeners to return to work ect) 

B ) you're free to stay locked in your home hiding since the furlough scheme is ending soon anyway so you wont get paid regardless 

C ) the slogan is "stay at home, protect the NHS" not 'stay at home, protect yourself' 

herd immunity has been the objective since day 1, the whole purpose of the lock down (outside of the vulnerable) was to drip feed the NHS patients at a rate it could handle.

Ebola first emerged in 1976 and they have just created a vaccine in 2019
yes the world as a whole is pumping far more resources into finding a vaccine for covid19 than they were Ebola but even 18 months from now would be record breaking time for creating one 

all the while the UK is hemorrhaging £3,000,000,000 a day 

just lol, it's over, stay at home and be scared if want or come out and get back to damage controlling the life time of increased taxes we're now facing.

Swole troll for prime minister

2 hours ago, Tonysco said:

I've been to cleaner and better maintained gyms than i have restaurants.

I wouldn’t disagree and have also.

The problem in a gym is people repeatedly touching equipment that is neigh on impossible to clean, that being things like barbells that have grooves machined in them.

Then there’s the issue of people belching fine amounts of sputum into the air when they lift.

I’d love to be wrong but in my view gyms are closed and will remain so for a very long time.

Fwiw if they reopened tomorrow I’d go to the gym.

12 minutes ago, Sasnak said:

The problem in a gym is people repeatedly touching equipment that is neigh on impossible to clean, that being things like barbells that have grooves machined in them.

Then there’s the issue of people belching fine amounts of sputum into the air when they lift.

I’d love to be wrong but in my view gyms are closed and will remain so for a very long time.

Could be that the government deem gym goers as very low risk. Could be gyms open when the schools do, as  both classed as low risk, big spreaders. 

43 minutes ago, Sasnak said:

Do you even train? 

There are solutions to the problems you are claiming. Barbells are not impossible to clean at all, that’s a very dramatic statement. There are far worse places than gyms. The underground/trains being one of them places, supermarkets, schools, bars where you are shoulder to shoulder with people. 

Make wearing masks mandatory. Other countries have. Uk is a poor example of how to do it tbh. 

There wont be any gyms left if they leave it until August.

1 hour ago, Spieren said:

Could be that the government deem gym goers as very low risk. Could be gyms open when the schools do, as  both classed as low risk, big spreaders. 

Unless I’ve missed something I’ve not seen anything from the experts that states gyms are low risk.

37 minutes ago, Mylittlepony said:

There wont be any gyms left if they leave it until August

There won’t be hardly any airline industry left if the government goes ahead with quarantine rules. I’d imagine that gyms are a drop in the ocean compared to travel to and from the U.K. 

Gyms not being open have an impact on physical and mental health. The effects are less in warmer months when you can get out and walk, run, cycle etc but come the colder months issues will start to mount.

This whole lockdown is a political farce .....the virus is terrible to a small % or population and mild for most. While we wait for treatments or vaccine we should never have locked down but followed good hygiene , work from home where possible  and social distance when out in public as best as possible. Contact tracing should have been in place February time along with testing....the government messed up now have to been seen as ultra cautious otherwise people will think they are bad and won’t vote for them.

31 minutes ago, Sasnak said:

There won’t be hardly any airline industry left if the government goes ahead with quarantine rules. I’d imagine that gyms are a drop in the ocean compared to travel to and from the U.K. 

I work in Aviation, currently on furlough. Not sure there's going to be much to go back to, not sure if I even have a job. 

24 minutes ago, Carl_t said:

I work in Aviation, currently on furlough. Not sure there's going to be much to go back to, not sure if I even have a job. 

My jobs fvcked too. It was in poor shape before the virus, however.

On 02/05/2020 at 1:09 PM, Sasnak said:

They aren’t going to mate. Mingster summarised it perfectly the other day. Weights are machined with tiny little grooves for grip. Impossible to clean even if you could trust everyone to do it. Hell, you can’t even trust them to re-rack.

Then you’ve got people touching them one after the other whilst belching out sweat and sputum from every orifice in a confined space.

You've got 3 choices.

1. Take out a small mortgage and buy a home set up.

2. Bodyweight, resistance bands, rucksacks full of 2 litre bottles of cheap lemonade, bags of building sand, etc.

3. Quit.

I’m doing option 2.

http://rosstraining.com/blog/never-gymless/

50 minutes ago, Sasnak said:

Thanks

I've been doing body weight work. It’s quite surprising how much you can do without much in the way of equipment.

Yes I've realised this myself, I always knew that was the case in theory but in practice I've really short changed myself by missing gym sessions because whatever hotel or place I was working at "wasn't equipped enough" etc. 

Its definitely challenged some old ingrained beleifs about bodyweight only training for me.