Sign in to follow this  
Sasnak

What easing of lock down may look like

Further to @Jackoffblades thread I was going to post this in his but thought I’d make a new one.

The Irish Taoiseach has published a plan to slowly phase out restrictions. They have had less than 1300 deaths in Eire, however this is to be expected based on the demographics and geography of the country. 

I think it’s fair to say the plan being unveiled here next week may well have many similarities

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-52509390

How many weeks behind do you think England are from their plan? 

Ireland had a much stronger lock down than us. They shut schools 2 weeks earlier than England, and they were stricter with the distances people were allowed to leave their homes. There were a lot more police checks also

1 hour ago, jake87 said:

How many weeks behind do you think England are from their plan?

I think there is more to it than this. My wife is half Irish and I’ve been over with her to Ireland. It’s like nobody lives there. Even Dublin doesn’t compare to my home city of Leicester for numbers of people once you get outside the obvious tourist parts. Everywhere else seems practically empty. You can see similarities in Wales and Scotland where cases have been far lower. More people accelerates the exponential increase in infection. Simple logic.

I certainly wouldn’t like the job of trying to figure how England is going to deal with it. London obviously presents the biggest challenge by far.

Where does gym openings fit in then? Selfish as it sounds that is the only thing im waiting on.

surely you would think being able to keep fit and healthy is good for the world! Just clean machines every time use or mandatory where gloves.

7 minutes ago, Fors331 said:

Where does gym openings fit in then? Selfish as it sounds that is the only thing im waiting on.

surely you would think being able to keep fit and healthy is good for the world! Just clean machines every time use or mandatory where gloves.

this isn't selfish 

I don't care when the hairdressers is open just as much as those that don't train care when gyms are open 

we're all looking forward to our lives returning to (the new) normal 

Yesterday after hearing about Pure gym and similar is that they are looking to start opening in the next month or 2 but with restrictions such as taking machinery out /moving some machinery and restricting numbers plus before and after use of machinery it must be fully wiped down. That wont work, even if it did start off great you'll always get the nob heads who think they own the place not bothering so I just dont see how it's going to happen. 

According to this some are open unless I've understood that wrong 

EDIT: link wont work so google it lol

EDIT AGAIN: Sod that, it's an old statement me thinks :rolleyes:

Maybe I shouldn't have started on the shandy so soon :D

28 minutes ago, Fors331 said:

Where does gym openings fit in then?

They aren’t going to mate. Mingster summarised it perfectly the other day. Weights are machined with tiny little grooves for grip. Impossible to clean even if you could trust everyone to do it. Hell, you can’t even trust them to re-rack.

Then you’ve got people touching them one after the other whilst belching out sweat and sputum from every orifice in a confined space.

You've got 3 choices.

1. Take out a small mortgage and buy a home set up.

2. Bodyweight, resistance bands, rucksacks full of 2 litre bottles of cheap lemonade, bags of building sand, etc.

3. Quit.

I’m doing option 2.

15 minutes ago, Sasnak said:

They aren’t going to mate. Mingster summarised it perfectly the other day. Weights are machined with tiny little grooves for grip. Impossible to clean even if you could trust everyone to do it. Hell, you can’t even trust them to re-rack.

Then you’ve got people touching them one after the other whilst belching out sweat and sputum from every orifice in a confined space.

You've got 3 choices.

1. Take out a small mortgage and buy a home set up.

2. Bodyweight, resistance bands, rucksacks full of 2 litre bottles of cheap lemonade, bags of building sand.

3. Quit.

I’m doing option 2.

A home gym would actually be cheaper in the long run.

If you've been training for 10 years, say you've been paying gym membership of £30 a month, you've spent 10x12x30 = £3600:o

And that's not including petrol costs, car parking costs, time wasted and traffic.

Honestly I think gyms are done for.

You don't need a gym to stay fit an healthy so that argument is a bit poor. The reason to open them (if safe) is to stop them going out of business. I can't see people keeping there distance and wiping machines down after use. I can't see how gyms can be made safe, if somebody has the virus in the gym they will be spreading it. 

3 minutes ago, \/\/ said:

If you've been training for 10 years, say you've been paying gym membership of £30 a month, you've spent 10x12x30 = £3600:o

And that's not including petrol costs, car parking costs, time wasted and traffic.

Honestly I think gyms are done for.

Gyms are not done for. Most people would rather train in a public gym than at home.

24 minutes ago, \/\/ said:

I’d have a home gym if it wasn’t for the social aspect 

I’ve got an assortment of stuff to do limited working out at home but I love going to my gym, and it has gym dogs who join in with you :lol:.... and my beloved tyre for flipping, sleds, and leather bag things. Not to mention the help, chit chat -post training of course. I miss all of that. I’ve been working out as much as I can but I’m pushed much harder at the gym, and my motivation is higher....... well, apart from when I get tipped into the skip the big guys..... not missing that one bit! :lol::lol:..

Hey there Sasnak,

Thank you. It prolly won’t stay up long, chubsters R us I know. Ah well.

im ok thank you but a bit on the sad side. Lost two people last weekend. Not due to covid but very upsetting and as they are north and I’m south currently I can’t go to say goodbye. Ffs!  Excuse my language. I’m actually having a drink at the moment, it doesn’t help, but......it sort of does.  Due to covid the autopsy cannot be done fir weeks and the funerals can’t be held and everything is kinda pear shaped. My head is a bit wahhhhhhhh.... right now, and I just got furloughed. Excuse my language but this week has just been utter bollox.

i truly hope you and yours stay well during these times. 

1 hour ago, Flubs said:

Hey there Sasnak,

Thank you. It prolly won’t stay up long, chubsters R us I know. Ah well.

im ok thank you but a bit on the sad side. Lost two people last weekend. Not due to covid but very upsetting and as they are north and I’m south currently I can’t go to say goodbye. Ffs!  Excuse my language. I’m actually having a drink at the moment, it doesn’t help, but......it sort of does.  Due to covid the autopsy cannot be done fir weeks and the funerals can’t be held and everything is kinda pear shaped. My head is a bit wahhhhhhhh.... right now, and I just got furloughed. Excuse my language but this week has just been utter bollox.

i truly hope you and yours stay well during these times. 

Just let it all out Flubs....f**k f**k and more f**ks

Sorry to hear your news though, it's so shitting crap right now (dont excuse my language ;)

Bast**d sh*thouse state of things the last few weeks it doesnt look like it's going to be any better this time next month 

Pooh stain :rage:

...but yeah as sasnak said nice avatar :thumb...more I zoomed in the more pixelated so we'll await for a full page 4k edition lol 

Chin up and get some more lambrini down-ya! 

1 hour ago, Flubs said:

Lost two people last weekend

My Mrs works with somebody who lost both parents last week. Yes they were very old and in care. Yes it’s probably for the better because they went together, but when you look at some of the pictures on the news of younger front line folk that went the same way it kinda makes you think that nobody should die like that.

On 02/05/2020 at 11:02 AM, EpicSquats said:

We're still at the peak of the Virus here in England. It would be foolish to ease the lockdown any time soon.

We're past the peak.

43 minutes ago, Tonysco said:

We're past the peak.

We are not past the peak ‘all over the U.K.’. We have to be past it in ‘all regions’ to classify as being ‘past the peak’ 

Numbers in London almost doubled from going down to its lowest last Sunday but then back up by Thursday. 

Where do you think we are past the peak? 

5 minutes ago, PSevens2017 said:

We are not past the peak ‘all over the U.K.’. We have to be past it in ‘all regions’ to classify as being ‘past the peak’ 

Numbers in London almost doubled from going down to its lowest last Sunday but then back up by Thursday. 

Where do you think we are past the peak? 

We're way past the peak. The peak in hospital admissions was around the 8th April.

The reason you might still see a rise in confirmed infections is because they're doing 10x as many tests daily as they were. That doesn't mean the infection rate is increasing.