Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MattTheDon

Why has my weight loss stalled?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Endomorph84 said:

Read everything I posted yesterday again. You’re in too much of a deficit. You’re eating too little and moving too much. You can’t expect a drastic change after 1 day. 

You also need to take a few days off the diet like I said yesterday and give yourself and your body a break. 

You made your own KFC yesterday which may have had quite a bit of salt. The 1lb increase is probably down to water retention from salt/ sodium. 

I need to stop jumping on the scales I think it's messing with my head I might just buy a tape today and do measurements instead but I'm just way way to heavy.

I'm extremely reluctant to up it to over 3000 calories but I will aim for 2800-3100 until Sunday and see if there is any improvement.  I will add some treats over the next few days also which will be on top of those calories.

Sorry I know it's frustrating when your telling someone something and there just not taking it all on board I'm just trying to change my mindset here in my head of the scales up im in a panic lol.

 

Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scales are a cruel mistress mate, even if you understand how alcohol and sodium etc can cause drastic weight fluctuations they can still mess with your head. That’s why I use Friday as my weigh in day. Mon - Fri food usually stays the same and any naughtiness (in the form of water retention) from the weekend will have left my body body.

Lol. It’s ok mate, y can lead a horse to water but you canny make it drink 

:thumb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Endomorph84 said:

Scales are a cruel mistress mate, even if you understand how alcohol and sodium etc can cause drastic weight fluctuations they can still mess with your head. That’s why I use Friday as my weigh in day. Mon - Fri food usually stays the same and any naughtiness (in the form of water retention) from the weekend will have left my body body.

Lol. It’s ok mate, y can lead a horse to water but you canny make it drink 

:thumb

I'm trying I'm trying ??

I feel so full eating more calories it's nice, I wasn't exactly starving like but it's some difference.

Sodium confuses me what should I aim for yesterday I had 2300mg is that ok?  According to MFP that was bang on.

Another thing worth pointing out is I weighed in at 291 this morning at about 7am when I got up for a piss but I actually was grabbing a shower there and was staring at the scale after 2 huge meals and I'm as of like 10 mins ago 291.2 I was expecting like 293 with the food IV had so maybe I'm panicking for no reason I might weigh on Friday morning and take that as my new starting weight and use the same time and day every week

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just be mindful mate that the nutritional values on foods can be up to 20% out legally and MFP isn’t always accurate.

If an ingredient contains 0.5g of sodium they can legally round it down to 0g or ‘trace’. So if there’s 6 ingredients that have 0.5g of sodium or less there’s a potential to have 3g (possibly more if you take the 20% into account) of untracked sodium.

Also, the time you eat sodium matters. If you have it later in the day then it’ll reflect on the scales the next morning. As a rule sodium goes where water goes, meaning it won’t leave the body till it’s flushed out.

Dont not have salt mate it’s a great mineral and contributes to your electrolyte balance. Just be mindful that it can make your weight fluctuate.

RE: the scale weight mate. It seems the wee you had was much bigger than you think lol.

When you have a wee you can actually discard a lot of body fluid. 1ml of fluid = 1g or thereabouts. So if you have a big wee you can actually lose well over 1kg (equivalent to a litre). Then if you have a poo that could be another lb or so lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Endomorph84 said:

Just be mindful mate that the nutritional values on foods can be up to 20% out legally and MFP isn’t always accurate.

If an ingredient contains 0.5g of sodium they can legally round it down to 0g or ‘trace’. So if there’s 6 ingredients that have 0.5g of sodium or less there’s a potential to have 3g (possibly more if you take the 20% into account) of untracked sodium.

Also, the time you eat sodium matters. If you have it later in the day then it’ll reflect on the scales the next morning. As a rule sodium goes where water goes, meaning it won’t leave the body till it’s flushed out.

Dont not have salt mate it’s a great mineral and contributes to your electrolyte balance. Just be mindful that it can make your weight fluctuate.

RE: the scale weight mate. It seems the wee you had was much bigger than you think lol.

When you have a wee you can actually discard a lot of body fluid. 1ml of fluid = 1g or thereabouts. So if you have a big wee you can actually lose well over 1kg (equivalent to a litre). Then if you have a poo that could be another lb or so lol.

I'll just keep plugging on and see how it goes maybe I'm having my dinner a bit too late and I'm feeling the after effects in the morning from sodium and what not not that it really matters I suppose.

I'll do a round the stomach measurement when I get a tape and track that as well possibly so I'm not obsessing too much about weight. 

I'm just after a little Nutella treat there was so good  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Endomorph84 said:

Measurements are best mate tbh. 

I will try get a tape today if I'm out and about.  

I have to say upping my calories to around 2800 - 3000 has made me feel alot better let's hope the scales like it I'll weigh tomorrow morning and use it as my weigh in day from now on.

Thanks for all the help and advice 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Endomorph84 said:

You will do mate.

Keep in touch

Weighed in this morning at 288...now I know that's not 2 lbs of fat lost in that time frame but it's still Hella motivating to see the scale going in the right direction again.

Still amazed that less moving and more food has kick started the decline on the scales tho lol.

Interested and excited to see how this week goes .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MattTheDon said:

Weighed in this morning at 288...now I know that's not 2 lbs of fat lost in that time frame but it's still Hella motivating to see the scale going in the right direction again.

Still amazed that less moving and more food has kick started the decline on the scales tho lol.

Interested and excited to see how this week goes .

No, it wont be fat. But it was fat once. When you burn/ lose fat, the fat cells don't get smaller straight away. In highly stressed states (like the one you were in) the body will pull water in to those fat cells and retain it for as long as possible, weeks/ months.

By following my suggestions of upping your cals and reducing the amount of exercise; you have relieved an almighty amount of stress on your body. In turn this has let that water go. Its called a whoosh or the whoosh effect.

By relieving an almighty amount of stress on your body your cortisol has lowered, adequate leptin levels have returned and your thyroid and metabolism have up regulated (not reset, big diff) and are working more efficiently.

Stick to the plan mate, keep cals higher over the next few days, enjoy a few drinks tomoz. Get back on the diet Sunday at 3000 kal and weigh yourself Friday.

Remember, less doesn't mean more. Cant stress this enough.

Slow and steady wins the race.

:thumb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/05/2020 at 12:43 PM, Endomorph84 said:

No, it wont be fat. But it was fat once. When you burn/ lose fat, the fat cells don't get smaller straight away. In highly stressed states (like the one you were in) the body will pull water in to those fat cells and retain it for as long as possible, weeks/ months.

By following my suggestions of upping your cals and reducing the amount of exercise; you have relieved an almighty amount of stress on your body. In turn this has let that water go. Its called a whoosh or the whoosh effect.

By relieving an almighty amount of stress on your body your cortisol has lowered, adequate leptin levels have returned and your thyroid and metabolism have up regulated (not reset, big diff) and are working more efficiently.

Stick to the plan mate, keep cals higher over the next few days, enjoy a few drinks tomoz. Get back on the diet Sunday at 3000 kal and weigh yourself Friday.

Remember, less doesn't mean more. Cant stress this enough.

Slow and steady wins the race.

:thumb

Thanks for all your help really appreciate it I hope I can stick at it and keep the weight off once and for all and stop putting it back on. 

Howlong does someone need to be at a certain wait for their skin to start tightening?  What happens to these fat cells of mine do they just shrink down and stay there and I'm prone to getting fat again because I have more fat cells than average?  Or can they vanish?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MattTheDon said:

Thanks for all your help really appreciate it I hope I can stick at it and keep the weight off once and for all and stop putting it back on. 

Howlong does someone need to be at a certain wait for their skin to start tightening?  What happens to these fat cells of mine do they just shrink down and stay there and I'm prone to getting fat again because I have more fat cells than average?  Or can they vanish?

You’re welcome mate.

Fat cells will always be there. But as long as you reverse out of your diet once you’re “happy” they won’t come back larger. I’ve made that mistake before.

Lose skin will go mate just takes time. Mine was quite bad at first. I dieted down from 136kg to 87kg.

This is me on holiday in August 2018. I’m about 94kg in this pic, the lose skin has gotten much better since.

741895D6-98D6-47DA-BE5F-0106C202E3EC.jpeg

Dont know if you have any stretch marks but mine are still slightly visible, but you’d have to really look. Most people wouldn’t notice I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Endomorph84 said:

You’re welcome mate.

Fat cells will always be there. But as long as you reverse out of your diet once you’re “happy” they won’t come back larger. I’ve made that mistake before.

Lose skin will go mate just takes time. Mine was quite bad at first. I dieted down from 136kg to 87kg.

This is me on holiday in August 2018. I’m about 94kg in this pic, the lose skin has gotten much better since.

741895D6-98D6-47DA-BE5F-0106C202E3EC.jpeg

Dont know if you have any stretch marks but mine are still slightly visible, but you’d have to really look. Most people wouldn’t notice I suppose.

Doesn't look bad at all mate and yeah I have some but there barely visible now again you would have to really look for them.  When I got really lean before I'm pretty sure my stomach looked way worse than that now long does it take to go away?  Today was a glorious day Sunday every week I eat very little all day then my mum does a Sunday dinner I don't track it but I'm sure it's over 2000 calories lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MattTheDon said:

Doesn't look bad at all mate and yeah I have some but there barely visible now again you would have to really look for them.  When I got really lean before I'm pretty sure my stomach looked way worse than that now long does it take to go away?  Today was a glorious day Sunday every week I eat very little all day then my mum does a Sunday dinner I don't track it but I'm sure it's over 2000 calories lol

Can’t really remember how long it took mate. It was just part of the process I guess. 

Haha. Love a Sunday roast mate. Cheese board for pudding for the win. There’s a pub by me that does amazing roasts. Cheese board is massive. Get a glass of port and an Eccles cake with it.

Back to the grind tomoz mate. Don’t worry if your weights gone up a bit from enjoying the weekend. It’ll balance out before the end of the week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Endomorph84 said:

Can’t really remember how long it took mate. It was just part of the process I guess. 

Haha. Love a Sunday roast mate. Cheese board for pudding for the win. There’s a pub by me that does amazing roasts. Cheese board is massive. Get a glass of port and an Eccles cake with it.

Back to the grind tomoz mate. Don’t worry if your weights gone up a bit from enjoying the weekend. It’ll balance out before the end of the week. 

Oh it's deffo going up after that lol it was enormous and I think I'm gonna have a galaxy bar with the Mrs while we watch a movie. 

Looking forward to a week of hard work and weigh in on Friday so 288 I was this Friday so I'm hoping 285 but we will see how it goes 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Endomorph84 

Weighed in this morning at 287, I'm pleased with that especially after the few days of not being entirely great last weekend like you advised.

Was slightly worried that I was going up every day then bang on Wednesday it just dropped out of nowhere.  I have steak on Saturday and a massive Sunday dinner on Sunday and it literally had me heavy for 3 days must of took a while to digest but I was nervous it wasn't going to be a loss this week at all 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MattTheDon said:

Was slightly worried that I was going up every day then bang on Wednesday it just dropped out of nowhere. 

Boom. Listen to the master!! :lol: 

Im only messin' mate, happy days. Im buzzing for you!

Keep on keeping on now, be good with your cals and activity. Don't eat too little and move too much or you'll undo all the hard work setting yourself up for this next phase.

Remember, the goal is to be only a little bit lighter next week. I understand you want to see big changes weekly but that has its downsides, as you know.

This way, if the rate of loss is too slow or you hit a plateau you've got plenty of things that you can change/ manipulate to get the scale moving again.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Endomorph84 said:

Boom. Listen to the master!! :lol: 

Im only messin' mate, happy days. Im buzzing for you!

Keep on keeping on now, be good with your cals and activity. Don't eat too little and move too much or you'll undo all the hard work setting yourself up for this next phase.

Remember, the goal is to be only a little bit lighter next week. I understand you want to see big changes weekly but that has its downsides, as you know.

This way, if the rate of loss is too slow or you hit a plateau you've got plenty of things that you can change/ manipulate to get the scale moving again.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Thanks for all your help. 

It was so hard when the scale was not moving and even going up not to eat less or excercise more.

Can see a good difference already that's 13lbs down from the lockdown began still a lot more to go but I'm starting to look more like myself 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MattTheDon said:

Thanks for all your help. 

It was so hard when the scale was not moving and even going up not to eat less or excercise more.

Can see a good difference already that's 13lbs down from the lockdown began still a lot more to go but I'm starting to look more like myself 

You're welcome mate, keep in touch.

All the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you’re making progress mate.

woukd strongly advise keeping off the scales daily though - just weigh yourself once per week at the same time for a fair comparison.

Sunday morning weigh-ins upon waking (and before eating) will become something you look forward to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ironman TS said:

Glad you’re making progress mate.

woukd strongly advise keeping off the scales daily though - just weigh yourself once per week at the same time for a fair comparison.

Sunday morning weigh-ins upon waking (and before eating) will become something you look forward to.

IV tried to stay off the scales it doesn't work I can't help myself I was usually a Sunday weigh in just changed to a Friday cause I sometimes treat myself on a Saturday or Sunday so by the time Friday is around all the badness has left my body lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×