Sign in to follow this  
Tricky

Anyone MTB

I’m looking to get into MTB. I have some local trials here in Northern Ireland which get very good reviews. I’m undecided between a Hardtail or a full. 

Plan is obviously to buy second hand. If your into the sport what do you ride and what was your first to get into the trials and enjoy the outdoors 

I like a slack hard tail.  Cheaper, a bit less maintenance and imo look better.  I currently have a 29er (wheel size) but was about to get a new one before covid.  27.5 with big tyres.

Also hard tail forces you to learn to ride properly.

Screenshot_20200425_070238.jpg

6 hours ago, Tricky said:

I’m looking to get into MTB. I have some local trials here in Northern Ireland which get very good reviews. I’m undecided between a Hardtail or a full. 

Plan is obviously to buy second hand. If your into the sport what do you ride and what was your first to get into the trials and enjoy the outdoors 

Depends what the trails are like you are going to ride. If they are hard packed single track, then either hardtail or full suspension. If they are technical and rocky then a full suspension will be best.   If you get into it and wanna do more technical trails then I'd buy a full suspension first.  

Hard tails are fun bikes but very unforgiving when riding rocky trails.  Buy the best bike you can afford, as there is a massive difference between an entry level bike and the bikes above.

As lancs lad says a hard tail will help you to learn to ride properly,  So something to think about.  

Depending on what kind of trails you are going to ride, then think about whether you need a 29 er or a 27.5

It can be  a very expensive sport if you get into it .  But it's the dogs bollox when you are out riding. And worth everything you've spent.  I wish you well in your hunt for your bike

22 minutes ago, MBR said:

Depends what the trails are like you are going to ride. If they are hard packed single track, then either hardtail or full suspension. If they are technical and rocky then a full suspension will be best.   If you get into it and wanna do more technical trails then I'd buy a full suspension first.  

Hard tails are fun bikes but very unforgiving when riding rocky trails.  Buy the best bike you can afford, as there is a massive difference between an entry level bike and the bikes above.

As lancs lad says a hard tail will help you to learn to ride properly,  So something to think about.  

Depending on what kind of trails you are going to ride, then think about whether you need a 29 er or a 27.5

It can be  a very expensive sport if you get into it .  But it's the dogs bollox when you are out riding. And worth everything you've spent.  I wish you well in your hunt for your bike

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.redbull.com/ie-en/Mountain-bike-northern-ireland-top-destinations

castewellan, rostrevor and davagh are all less than 30 miles from my house so these will be the main 3 I’ll hope to ride. I’m 6ft and 105kg tho will get back down to around 98kg soon hopefully. 

I understand to buy the best I can afford and that I need a large bike frame for my size? XL frame be too big? I intend to buy second hand to get the best for my budget which is £600

21 minutes ago, Tricky said:

I intend to buy second hand

Plus one on this. A quality second hand bike will be far better than spending the same amount of money on a new one as a rule of thumb 

Hardtail,  especially if you are looking to buy secondhand .

£600 isn`t enough for a decent full suspension bike. 

Wheel size will depend on the trials you plan to ride, 29 ers are O.K. but can be awkward on technical  trials where you want a faster turning bike. 

37 minutes ago, Tricky said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.redbull.com/ie-en/Mountain-bike-northern-ireland-top-destinations

castewellan, rostrevor and davagh are all less than 30 miles from my house so these will be the main 3 I’ll hope to ride. I’m 6ft and 105kg tho will get back down to around 98kg soon hopefully. 

I understand to buy the best I can afford and that I need a large bike frame for my size? XL frame be too big? I intend to buy second hand to get the best for my budget which is £600

Have a look on here https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/

Put in your area and jobs a good en. I've bought and sold many bikes on here. 

If you can find one within budget look for a full suspension but with lockable rear shock it gives you the option of running either way to suit the trail conditions. 

I've got a old Scott that has full travel soft damping front and rear / short travel hard damping / short front travel locked rear all done via a lever on the bars. 

18 hours ago, Tricky said:

Assuming you ride medium then? Would large be ok for me and no need for XL 

Depends on the bike. I normally ride a medium. My current bike I ride a large , due to the build of the frame. I think an    XL bike is probably going to be to big for you. Although,  If you are going to buy, then check out the sizes on the manufacturers website for sizing first.

16 hours ago, Tricky said:

Or this Hardtail? 

02A7F151-8B83-4A21-A584-3D8C7B8713FD.png

Go off the components of the bike. Check out which has the best forks, brakes etc.if there is a massive difference in quality then then pick the best one.  

If it's your first mtb bike and you really get into riding, then as your riding improves you'll probably going to want to either buy a better bike or look at changing up the components.  So that's something to think about. 

Hardtail, less to wear out .

Full suspension can be a nightmare if bearings/bushings are worn and loose.

It will cost more to put right. 

I would buy the best quality and simpler option.

Then if you find that you really enjoy mountain biking and have worked what style of riding you want to concentrate on you can buy a more expensive bike tailored to your needs.  

@lancs_lad

@MBR

@dumbat

The young lad who owns the whyte g150 seems very genuine and has been having it serviced ect and well maintained. He used it had a mountain bike instructor for the TA. He is 6ft 3 95kg and size large fits him well. Said he will take £1000 

The fluid doesn’t seem in bad condition. It’s an XL frame but that seems right as their website recommended XL from 5ft 11 plus and I’m just over 6ft 100+kg. He wil take £675. 

im sure the GT is a much superior bike. It’s above what I want to spend by a good stretch I’m thinking if I’m going to get into it I may want the best I can afford and also thinking it might be easier to sell if I don’t as it’s a premium bike. That said I’m also thinking what about a simple hard tail much cheaper like the Carve for £375 it’s 29er so not as nimble for the downhills and tight trails but I worry I could get it feel limited to what I can do and want to change 

A1B20425-8CBB-4E8F-8A46-6C42DFBCA28C.png

C09C3366-D19A-47B1-AEA0-9CA7295D5E28.png

E70B7C64-B0DB-4330-A2AA-0D534B2C1200.png

2 hours ago, Tricky said:

@lancs_lad

@MBR

@dumbat

The young lad who owns the whyte g150 seems very genuine and has been having it serviced ect and well maintained. He used it had a mountain bike instructor for the TA. He is 6ft 3 95kg and size large fits him well. Said he will take £1000 

The fluid doesn’t seem in bad condition. It’s an XL frame but that seems right as their website recommended XL from 5ft 11 plus and I’m just over 6ft 100+kg. He wil take £675. 

im sure the GT is a much superior bike. It’s above what I want to spend by a good stretch I’m thinking if I’m going to get into it I may want the best I can afford and also thinking it might be easier to sell if I don’t as it’s a premium bike. That said I’m also thinking what about a simple hard tail much cheaper like the Carve for £375 it’s 29er so not as nimble for the downhills and tight trails but I worry I could get it feel limited to what I can do and want to change 

A1B20425-8CBB-4E8F-8A46-6C42DFBCA28C.png

C09C3366-D19A-47B1-AEA0-9CA7295D5E28.png

E70B7C64-B0DB-4330-A2AA-0D534B2C1200.png

Any chance you can borrow a bike for your first time out. You'll know pretty soon or at least by the end of the ride whether it's for you or not. Then you can go buy a decent spec bike. If you hate it you've lost nothing. And there's always second hand bikes to buy when you want to buy.

Of the three bikes above, I'd go for the  Whyte. Seller Sounds genuine.  Plus it has high  ish spec componants. 

Below is a link for a  review of a 2013 G150 

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/mountain-bikes/whyte-g150-review/

Where's the GT? I can't see any pics

2 hours ago, MBR said:

Any chance you can borrow a bike for your first time out. You'll know pretty soon or at least by the end of the ride whether it's for you or not. Then you can go buy a decent spec bike. If you hate it you've lost nothing. And there's always second hand bikes to buy when you want to buy.

Of the three bikes above, I'd go for the  Whyte. Seller Sounds genuine.  Plus it has high  ish spec componants. 

Below is a link for a  review of a 2013 G150 

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/mountain-bikes/whyte-g150-review/

Where's the GT? I can't see any pics

By GT I meant G150 sorry. That link you posted is the older bike. This is the 2016 model and seems to get better reviews. I’m going to risk it and buy on fri. Pay day tomorrow 

50 minutes ago, Tricky said:

By GT I meant G150 sorry. That link you posted is the older bike. This is the 2016 model and seems to get better reviews. I’m going to risk it and buy on fri. Pay day tomorrow 

It's a good bike for your first bike. Enjoy riding those trails  in Northern Ireland. 

2 hours ago, MBR said:

It's a good bike for your first bike. Enjoy riding those trails  in Northern Ireland. 

It’s a shame they weren’t open now with lessons I would go pay the £40 for the day lesson and bike hire to get a feel for what bike to get