Sign in to follow this  
Tricky

Anyone MTB

The Whyte G 150 looks like a good deal, that`s about what I would spend on a second hand suspension bike. 

A good investment, you are unlikely to find you need a better bike than that.

If you did want to change it then it would easy to sell.

On 30/04/2020 at 2:11 PM, landerson said:

Has terrible reviews just like the vitus mythique. Cheap basic parts and much better off spending that money on a used bike that will come with dropper posts, sram brakes, rockshox forks, tubeless tyres ect to save spending hundreds on upgrades 

On 30/04/2020 at 11:43 AM, dumbat said:

The Whyte G 150 looks like a good deal, that`s about what I would spend on a second hand suspension bike. 

A good investment, you are unlikely to find you need a better bike than that.

If you did want to change it then it would easy to sell.

I was supposed to pick the g150 on sat at 6pm. Around 5 before I left the house he changed the listing to sold. I text saying is it gone he said yes. Was pissed as it was well serviced but hey ho. 

I know have the option of a 2017 whyte G160RS with a full hope rear wheel, new tyres and derailer. 27.5 wheels size large £1250 

or 

2018 trek ex 8. Upgraded hope brakes last year costing £450. New seat and tyres. £1200. 29’ wheels size large. Can take 27.5 also. 

@MBR 

@lancs_lad

what yous think

B2E9D994-EE03-40E8-8D75-6595996DCC26.jpeg

B329152B-830D-4F27-B08A-7C6F19DCF24B.jpeg

9 hours ago, Tricky said:

Has terrible reviews just like the vitus mythique. Cheap basic parts and much better off spending that money on a used bike that will come with dropper posts, sram brakes, rockshox forks, tubeless tyres ect to save spending hundreds on upgrades 

https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/full-suspension-bikes/calibre-bossnut  10/10

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/mountain-bikes/full-suspension-mountain-bikes/2020-calibre-bossnut-review/ 4.5/5

:confused:

2 hours ago, landerson said:

Just from various forums, real time reviews on how poor the brakes are and frames snapping. No dropper post either. Though I can see their appeal and warranty when buying new. I would rather just pay £1000 on something that’s over 2k retail with higher spec parts so you’re not spending thousands on upgrades 

On 04/05/2020 at 12:16 PM, Tricky said:

Just from various forums, real time reviews on how poor the brakes are and frames snapping. No dropper post either. Though I can see their appeal and warranty when buying new. I would rather just pay £1000 on something that’s over 2k retail with higher spec parts so you’re not spending thousands on upgrades 

I've got one and never had a problem with it, its great done a 1000+ miles on it, mines the earlier one Bossnut Evo, gets used every week in all weathers.  All I've done is replaced the tyres and serviced it, as you would with any bike.

Brakes on mine are Shimano ones, so if people are having problems with the brakes, these problems will occur on other bikes with the same brakes. The newer verison ar SRAM so same deal.

I recommend one deffo.

On 03/05/2020 at 11:58 PM, Tricky said:

I was supposed to pick the g150 on sat at 6pm. Around 5 before I left the house he changed the listing to sold. I text saying is it gone he said yes. Was pissed as it was well serviced but hey ho. 

I know have the option of a 2017 whyte G160RS with a full hope rear wheel, new tyres and derailer. 27.5 wheels size large £1250 

or 

2018 trek ex 8. Upgraded hope brakes last year costing £450. New seat and tyres. £1200. 29’ wheels size large. Can take 27.5 also. 

@MBR 

@lancs_lad

what yous think

B2E9D994-EE03-40E8-8D75-6595996DCC26.jpeg

B329152B-830D-4F27-B08A-7C6F19DCF24B.jpeg

If you go for the trek with 29 wheels and they don't suite your style / type of riding then the conversation to 27.5 could cost a few quid. You'll need new wheels, new tyres,  different  size discs for your brakes. New mount brackets for your wheels, new forks. I'd check out the cost of what you would need to buy before you handed over the cash. 

4 hours ago, MBR said:

If you go for the trek with 29 wheels and they don't suite your style / type of riding then the conversation to 27.5 could cost a few quid. You'll need new wheels, new tyres,  different  size discs for your brakes. New mount brackets for your wheels, new forks. I'd check out the cost of what you would need to buy before you handed over the cash. 

Yea I get you. The issue it seems with the whyte the 160mm travel is excessive. It’s an aggressive bike more suited to downhill. Very low bottom bracket and most say I need something around 120-140mm travel so it climbs well and still enjoyable downhill bits saying I’m mainly going to be riding blues and hopfuly onto reds. Plus the trek is a year newer with hope brakes. Do you think 29 is not wise? 

6 hours ago, bobbill said:

I've got one and never had a problem with it, its great done a 1000+ miles on it, mines the earlier one Bossnut Evo, gets used every week in all weathers.  All I've done is replaced the tyres and serviced it, as you would with any bike.

Brakes on mine are Shimano ones, so if people are having problems with the brakes, these problems will occur on other bikes with the same brakes. The newer verison ar SRAM so same deal.

I recommend one deffo.

I’ve been offered this Calibre triple B. Which is the next one up from the bossnut. It has new tyres and upgraded pedals. 2019. Size large for £975

F80C2363-375D-416B-9957-C349B8FD8042.jpeg

13 hours ago, Tricky said:

Yea I get you. The issue it seems with the whyte the 160mm travel is excessive. It’s an aggressive bike more suited to downhill. Very low bottom bracket and most say I need something around 120-140mm travel so it climbs well and still enjoyable downhill bits saying I’m mainly going to be riding blues and hopfuly onto reds. Plus the trek is a year newer with hope brakes. Do you think 29 is not wise? 

The bike I ride has 170 mm travel front and back and it climbs very well and can be used on red / blue routes if I chose to.  However, nearly all  of my riding is  on natural rocky trails in the Lake District.

With longer travel bikes you just wouldn't use all the travel on blue and red routes. Which could be seen as a waste of a long travel bike. Plus the longer travel will change the geometry of the bike a little bit.

It's a lot of money to spend on a bike without actually testing it first.  That's going to be difficult with the lock down at the moment. Things may change over the next few weeks. My advice would be try and test a few bikes before you spend a chunk of cash on it.  Most bike shops have demo bikes and run demo days so you could test one or two of their bikes so you know what works or doesn't work for the riding you are going to do.

Although, you can progress quickly if you are riding regularly, especially if you are riding with better riders than you. So try and look to buy a bike that you can ride blue and red routes, that you will also be able to ride red and black.  Unless you are loaded and can afford to buy a new bike, when your riding improves and you think that riding blue routes is only for beginners and families.

14 hours ago, Tricky said:

I’ve been offered this Calibre triple B. Which is the next one up from the bossnut. It has new tyres and upgraded pedals. 2019. Size large for £975

F80C2363-375D-416B-9957-C349B8FD8042.jpeg

looks like its got a diff stem and bars on from stock also, go for it

On 06/05/2020 at 11:44 AM, MBR said:

The bike I ride has 170 mm travel front and back and it climbs very well and can be used on red / blue routes if I chose to.  However, nearly all  of my riding is  on natural rocky trails in the Lake District.

With longer travel bikes you just wouldn't use all the travel on blue and red routes. Which could be seen as a waste of a long travel bike. Plus the longer travel will change the geometry of the bike a little bit.

It's a lot of money to spend on a bike without actually testing it first.  That's going to be difficult with the lock down at the moment. Things may change over the next few weeks. My advice would be try and test a few bikes before you spend a chunk of cash on it.  Most bike shops have demo bikes and run demo days so you could test one or two of their bikes so you know what works or doesn't work for the riding you are going to do.

Although, you can progress quickly if you are riding regularly, especially if you are riding with better riders than you. So try and look to buy a bike that you can ride blue and red routes, that you will also be able to ride red and black.  Unless you are loaded and can afford to buy a new bike, when your riding improves and you think that riding blue routes is only for beginners and families.

Yes it’s a minefield at my budget there is literally loads of second hand bikes I can get around £900-1000 eg 

2020 vitus mystique 

2017 vitus sommet 

2019 Calibre triple B 

2016 giant trance 2

its just hard to know to buy an older bike 3/4 years old better spec over a new bike 6-12 months old for less spec. All models above I can talk then down to around £900-950. Like you say just a bad time to get trying to ride anyway and no way knowing would I prefer 27.5 or 29. That’s the biggest hurdle in deciding for me currently