Sign in to follow this  
Philfg

Lifting and gear in your 40s

First Post on here. 

I'm 45 this year, been lifting on and off since I was 19. Started lifting at a mere 10 stone at 19 at 6 ft tall. I'm naturally really thin. Skinny wrists and ankles, have a permanent jaw line etc. I was a 90s raver and loved my pills and whizz, probably did not help with the weight etc. I befriended a lad in the gym who I bought gear from, quickly put on size got to about 13 stone through drugs and eating a surplus. 

Over my lifting years I have ran about 10 steroid cycles so not many, mostly consisting of 4 weeks orals, test and something else, eq or mast at about 400mg each, so never heavy cycles. I never ran pcts when younger, don't think anyone did back in the 90s. My recent cycles over the last 8 years of solid lifting and good diet have always had good p c t. 

I've been off everything now for over two years, and fell im at my natural potential, nothing much changes with me now at 44, I can get bigger with extra calories but its all fat, strength also gains a little but nothing like when on.

I'm currently at 12 stone 8 at around 14% bf. I carry very little fat around my whole body, other than my waist, if I diet down to 12 stone I'm at 10 /11% and like that look best. 

Its personal preference but I'm not into the monster look, for me a guy at 6ft lean looks great at 14 stone is the look I like. Follow YouTube people like Mike Thurston etc. 

Thats my history, thought I'd get it out there. I'm after advice from veteran lifters who have a similar goals, to stay fit and healthy. I've had bloods done and have test at the lower end, also low free test but high sbhg. I've started to take boron along with my other vits and sups. I feel good, happy, no brain fog etc, have sex 3 times per week etc so don't think I'm ready for trt just yet. To be honest scares me, relying on a needle for the rest of my life.

My last cycle was a blast,cruise, blast, cruse then pct and off, totaled about 9 months. Took me about 6 months to feel good again and recover.

My question is I'm OK now, should I stay off the gear until I need it, or is there safer ways to take the odd cycle as you get older and recover OK. I've read about shorter cycles, taking sarms in between cycles, or even maybe start looking into hgh. Just don't want to tread water make improvements then return to how I was. 

Any advice would be great, sorry for essay. 

1 hour ago, Philfg said:

First Post on here. 

I'm 45 this year, been lifting on and off since I was 19. Started lifting at a mere 10 stone at 19 at 6 ft tall. I'm naturally really thin. Skinny wrists and ankles, have a permanent jaw line etc. I was a 90s raver and loved my pills and whizz, probably did not help with the weight etc. I befriended a lad in the gym who I bought gear from, quickly put on size got to about 13 stone through drugs and eating a surplus. 

Over my lifting years I have ran about 10 steroid cycles so not many, mostly consisting of 4 weeks orals, test and something else, eq or mast at about 400mg each, so never heavy cycles. I never ran pcts when younger, don't think anyone did back in the 90s. My recent cycles over the last 8 years of solid lifting and good diet have always had good p c t. 

I've been off everything now for over two years, and fell im at my natural potential, nothing much changes with me now at 44, I can get bigger with extra calories but its all fat, strength also gains a little but nothing like when on.

I'm currently at 12 stone 8 at around 14% bf. I carry very little fat around my whole body, other than my waist, if I diet down to 12 stone I'm at 10 /11% and like that look best. 

Its personal preference but I'm not into the monster look, for me a guy at 6ft lean looks great at 14 stone is the look I like. Follow YouTube people like Mike Thurston etc. 

Thats my history, thought I'd get it out there. I'm after advice from veteran lifters who have a similar goals, to stay fit and healthy. I've had bloods done and have test at the lower end, also low free test but high sbhg. I've started to take boron along with my other vits and sups. I feel good, happy, no brain fog etc, have sex 3 times per week etc so don't think I'm ready for trt just yet. To be honest scares me, relying on a needle for the rest of my life.

My last cycle was a blast,cruise, blast, cruse then pct and off, totaled about 9 months. Took me about 6 months to feel good again and recover.

My question is I'm OK now, should I stay off the gear until I need it, or is there safer ways to take the odd cycle as you get older and recover OK. I've read about shorter cycles, taking sarms in between cycles, or even maybe start looking into hgh. Just don't want to tread water make improvements then return to how I was. 

I'm 41 mate. Tbf you'll find it harder and harder to recover

My advice is either stay off the gear...or accept that there's a decent chance you'll be on for life

Im 6ft at around 17 stone and gain just fine off 350-500 test with some mast chucked in

Although after a few months off the gym with this fuckin lockdown I possibly see a big cycle coming up once the gyms are open again lol

42 minutes ago, stuey99 said:

I'm 41 mate. Tbf you'll find it harder and harder to recover

My advice is either stay off the gear...or accept that there's a decent chance you'll be on for life

Im 6ft at around 17 stone and gain just fine off 350-500 test with some mast chucked in

Although after a few months off the gym with this fuckin lockdown I possibly see a big cycle coming up once the gyms are open again lol

Haha. I’m thinking along them lines too. As said to you the other day I’m off everything and can’t wait for them to open and jump back on. 
it will defiantly be more than I’d normally run that’s for sure, just how much more and how many compounds lol

29 minutes ago, Abc987 said:

Haha. I’m thinking along them lines too. As said to you the other day I’m off everything and can’t wait for them to open and jump back on. 
it will defiantly be more than I’d normally run that’s for sure, just how much more and how many compounds lol

My plans change every day mate. Toying with the idea of jumping back on tren...but most likely won't 

Worth bearing in mind tho that after time off training and off gear (or cruising)...gains will most likely come quicker and easier anyway...hence I won't be going nuts. I also wanna be able to enjoy the rest of life after lockdown without loads of shitty sides...more to life than gains right

So...I'm probably looking at 750test/500mast with 100mg test base pre workout (until everything else has fully kicked in). Maybe a little higher on the test and mast, but I'll gain on that just fine...and still sleep like a baby and be able to enjoy life, have a drink at the weekend etc

Thought I'd update this thread. I've bought myself a cycle and some test to cruise on. Like my above post I've been off 2 %1/2 years now. 

At my age 44 should I cycle then come off and if I recover ok should I stay off and have a break before going back on ie. 10 weeks then pct then 10 off. Or at my age is it just better to blast then cruise on 150ml test etc?

I've had bloods done at the doctors as above but I'm not in the middle let alone high end when off. 

Thanks 

Have you really reached your natural limit though? It's difficult to gauge on height and weight alone as it all depends on frame and how you carry muscle. I'm 5'10" and around 91-93kg at the moment. I've only ever done a few oral only cycles, pretty low dose too. I've not used anything for 9 months so my strength and size now is naturally accrued and maintainable. I have lifted for donkeys years as well as other things and for a long time I couldn't see past having abs. Then I decided I wanted to be stronger so did a starting strength type linear progression, with reduced weight to start to allow room to build into it and then did a bit of heavy, light, medium and then 6 months conjugate (westside) type training. I'm still hardly huge or strong but I've put on definite size and gained noticeable strength. I will use gear, for my summer cut, first in 2 years, considering first test cycle. I kind of like the idea of gaining naturally, strength especially is easier than size, then using gear to cut and look in good shape and condition. That way it feels like what I have, while not lots, is all mine and I can keep pushing bit by bit. Once need arises I'll legit TRT and might then do a couple increased doses, 1 to gain and 1 to cut each year. I'd love to throw caution to the wind but I value my health and want to still be going when I'm 60

On 20/04/2020 at 2:49 PM, stuey99 said:

My plans change every day mate. Toying with the idea of jumping back on tren...but most likely won't 

Worth bearing in mind tho that after time off training and off gear (or cruising)...gains will most likely come quicker and easier anyway...hence I won't be going nuts. I also wanna be able to enjoy the rest of life after lockdown without loads of shitty sides...more to life than gains right

So...I'm probably looking at 750test/500mast with 100mg test base pre workout (until everything else has fully kicked in). Maybe a little higher on the test and mast, but I'll gain on that just fine...and still sleep like a baby and be able to enjoy life, have a drink at the weekend etc

That's my plan aswell been off everything since lockdown. My summer cycle was test tren mast think I'll just stick with that can't wait for gyms to open again.

I'll be 43 next week at 5'11'' and weighing 18st. Been training 27 years.

I feel I've got plenty of life and improvements in me yet and once this lockdown is over the goal is to get to 19st which I've never achieved - 18st 7lbs is the best I've managed.

I hope I'm like Dexter and still getting it done at 50.  

10 hours ago, babyarm said:

That's my plan aswell been off everything since lockdown. My summer cycle was test tren mast think I'll just stick with that can't wait for gyms to open again.

Naaa not for me mate. Test and mast after all this

More to life after lockdown than gains. I can't be arsed with tren sides...wanna get back to enjoying life 

1 hour ago, stuey99 said:

More to life after lockdown than gains. I can't be arsed with tren sides...wanna get back to enjoying life 

This. Everyone’s mad keen to get back in the gym and all I want to do is book holidays! 

On 19/05/2020 at 2:53 PM, MTM1 said:

Have you really reached your natural limit though? It's difficult to gauge on height and weight alone as it all depends on frame and how you carry muscle. I'm 5'10" and around 91-93kg at the moment. I've only ever done a few oral only cycles, pretty low dose too. I've not used anything for 9 months so my strength and size now is naturally accrued and maintainable. I have lifted for donkeys years as well as other things and for a long time I couldn't see past having abs. Then I decided I wanted to be stronger so did a starting strength type linear progression, with reduced weight to start to allow room to build into it and then did a bit of heavy, light, medium and then 6 months conjugate (westside) type training. I'm still hardly huge or strong but I've put on definite size and gained noticeable strength. I will use gear, for my summer cut, first in 2 years, considering first test cycle. I kind of like the idea of gaining naturally, strength especially is easier than size, then using gear to cut and look in good shape and condition. That way it feels like what I have, while not lots, is all mine and I can keep pushing bit by bit. Once need arises I'll legit TRT and might then do a couple increased doses, 1 to gain and 1 to cut each year. I'd love to throw caution to the wind but I value my health and want to still be going when I'm 60

Wake up mate...there's very few guys reach their natural limit before using aas

3 hours ago, arbffgadm100 said:

This. Everyone’s mad keen to get back in the gym and all I want to do is book holidays! 

Don't get me wrong  I'm straight into a blast the day the gyms open...

But f**k...we've been locked up for months, what sense does it make to jump straight on a heavy tren cycle with shitty sides?

Gains before life?? No thanks...not for me lol

1 hour ago, stuey99 said:

Don't get me wrong  I'm straight into a blast the day the gyms open...

But f**k...we've been locked up for months, what sense does it make to jump straight on a heavy tren cycle with shitty sides?

Gains before life?? No thanks...not for me lol

Yeah same, I want to train (I’m lucky really because I have keys to 2 gyms now, and I kitted out my office at work with a s**t load of rogue stuff before it all sold out), but yeah... life > tren. That’s why I’ll never use it again.

23 hours ago, stuey99 said:

Wake up mate...there's very few guys reach their natural limit before using aas

I am awake, I'm well aware that's the case for 99% but OP mentioned he felt he was at his limit naturally, hence my post. I was suggesting a different approach 

On 20/05/2020 at 10:19 AM, stuey99 said:

I hear you man. I've found my tren sweet spot last couple times I've ran it not got the crippling sides I used to get.  Can't wait to start training again.

im in the mid 40's bracket have lost around 4kg on this cruise but that's as much to do with I started running and did 26 miles split over 3 days for charity and carried on..  but I was pushing close to 19 stone at the start so thinking decent blast when gyms open and then like stuey test and mast for life

5 minutes ago, Mayzini said:

im in the mid 40's bracket have lost around 4kg on this cruise but that's as much to do with I started running and did 26 miles split over 3 days for charity and carried on..  but I was pushing close to 19 stone at the start so thinking decent blast when gyms open and then like stuey test and mast for life

There's alot to be said for feeling good on cycle mate

Just now, stuey99 said:

There's alot to be said for feeling good on cycle mate

exactly I felt s**t on the DECa over the winter to the point of no return depression for a while, then promised myself I would but after only 8 weeks hit the tren/test/mast  and whilst I didn't suffer in the same way mentally I was still an arsehole but this time with the short fuse. This enforced cruise on a nice 125Mg/100mg Mast a week has me feeling ok. 

but come the time I can start lifting heavy.. planning a nice test/mast/tren/ injectable Sdrol  blast and see what I can gain back.. may even drop the tren out but I have some so will probably use it.. despite my own advice not to..

then I think I am don't on blasts on silly stuff.. nice cut to a decent bodyfat then cruise maintain.. maybe throw the odd oral in their with increased test once a year just to keep things ticking over.. but who I am kidding I am a decent size but at 45 I aint gonna grow much bigger.. ot without eating serious amounts and I just don't have that in me any more either.. 

40 minutes ago, Mayzini said:

exactly I felt s**t on the DECa over the winter to the point of no return depression for a while, then promised myself I would but after only 8 weeks hit the tren/test/mast  and whilst I didn't suffer in the same way mentally I was still an arsehole but this time with the short fuse. This enforced cruise on a nice 125Mg/100mg Mast a week has me feeling ok. 

but come the time I can start lifting heavy.. planning a nice test/mast/tren/ injectable Sdrol  blast and see what I can gain back.. may even drop the tren out but I have some so will probably use it.. despite my own advice not to..

then I think I am don't on blasts on silly stuff.. nice cut to a decent bodyfat then cruise maintain.. maybe throw the odd oral in their with increased test once a year just to keep things ticking over.. but who I am kidding I am a decent size but at 45 I aint gonna grow much bigger.. ot without eating serious amounts and I just don't have that in me any more either.. 

f**k that mate lol. I wanna walk in the gym in the morning, rested after a good nights sleep. Chill with my mrs without bein ratty. Lie in bed at night without feeling restless and sweating like a t**t lol...I've been stuck at home for months, my priority after lockdown is to enjoy life while getting decent gains

Not get amazing gains on tren and sdrol and feel s**t while everyone else is loving life again

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 11:57 AM, Philfg said:

First Post on here. 

speaking to the older guys at the gym, who have literally blasted everything under the sun for years ,  one still stacks his gear and looks awesome (must be hitting 50 now), but he does take a fair bit of everything (off season/season cycles), loves Deca .. - I dno if he blast and cruises tho or whether he takes time off

another guy still looks absolutely mint aswell and tbh you wouldn't tell that he runs test only for years, absolute unit - he is the one that basically said to me if you don't compete run Test and nothing else, safer and cleaner instead of putting other s**t into your body, he goes he been doing this since his mid 30's (he must be mid 50's now) - he is the guy that got me thinking of whats the point taking anything else, he didn't tell me the dosage but he did say he has taken "a lot of test" - lol but he has always maintained that he felt normal with test and doesn't get side affects as he doesn't use anything else..

up to you but just my personal opinion I would go down the test only route, middle age is about longevity and with a decent test dose you can get a wicked physique, especially  as you don't want to get huge - so why take anything else?