Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jackoffblades

Do teared tendons come out stronger

Recommended Posts

What are your thoughts guys on this? After 8 months off not being able to train my biceps fully. I can now finally hit them hard. Iv noticed the bicep that I injured I’m able do 2 more reps on that arm with bicep curls than I can with the other arm. This arm literally feels stronger than the other arm 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Jackoffblades said:

What are your thoughts guys on this? After 8 months off not being able to train my biceps fully. I can now finally hit them hard. Iv noticed the bicep that I injured I’m able do 2 more reps on that arm with bicep curls than I can with the other arm. This arm literally feels stronger than the other arm 

Are ‘2 more reps’ and ‘bicep curls’ an analogy for ‘2 more strokes’ and ‘masturbating’?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tendons do not become stronger than they were before injury, unlike bones that often do end up stronger.  

If it has healed well then you are very fortunate, tendons rarely heal that well unless the damage is very minor.

 Is your injured arm your primary arm i.e. your right handed and its your right arm? 

I would advise still progressing slowly, resist the temptation to max out.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, dumbat said:

Tendons do not become stronger than they were before injury, unlike bones that often do end up stronger.  

If it has healed well then you are very fortunate, tendons rarely heal that well unless the damage is very minor.

 Is your injured arm your primary arm i.e. your right handed and its your right arm? 

I would advise still progressing slowly, resist the temptation to max out.    

Healed bones do not come back any stronger, you can just as easily have a fracture in the same spot twice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, dumbat said:

Tendons do not become stronger than they were before injury, unlike bones that often do end up stronger.  

If it has healed well then you are very fortunate, tendons rarely heal that well unless the damage is very minor.

 Is your injured arm your primary arm i.e. your right handed and its your right arm? 

I would advise still progressing slowly, resist the temptation to max out.    

I know I feel lucky. for a long time I had sharp pain in my arm just lifting nothing like 4kg dumbbell doing bicep curls. Couldn’t do things like lat pull downs for a long time. It wasn’t severe it’s not like bicep came of the tendon fully. I heard a crack in my elbow and my arm hyperextended moved in a way it shouldn’t. Yeah it is my primary arm or AKA wanking arm 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Done my medial ligament in my left knee 3 times. I had reconstructive surgery after the second time and it still happened a third. 

The reason it’s difficult to fully repair tendons and ligaments is due to the poor blood supply.

Oh well, here’s to the 4th lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not in my case,  I had a partially torn rotator cuff for months and even rehab growth hormone etc it didn't repair let alone came back stronger until I had surgery

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

on my own research which was almost matched word for word by the surgeon that reattached my pec 

you'll get a 97% recovery of mobility and strength from the surgery vs 55% (IIRC) from a conservative treatment / put in a sling and given some pain killers 

in terms of the tendons structural integrity I believe it's a tougher hold since they anchor it to the bone and then the tendon adheres to the bone also 

it's been almost 3 years so the memory of all the discussion and research is hazy. 

Huck Finn has recently just detached his other pec major bench pressing (tore the other side a few years back just before me, I actually contacted him at the time for advice) , guess that's some sort of indication of the strength of the previously reattached tendon on the other side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it's stronger because it's your dominant arm or because you've rehabilitated it after your injury. 

My left arm is stronger than my right, despite being right handed. If I fail on OHP, it's usually my right arm that doesn't lock out. I think imbalances are fairly common.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, invisiblekid said:

Maybe it's stronger because it's your dominant arm or because you've rehabilitated it after your injury. 

My left arm is stronger than my right, despite being right handed. If I fail on OHP, it's usually my right arm that doesn't lock out. I think imbalances are fairly common.

this 

if its 97% recovery of strength of an already stronger limb then depending on how big the discrepancy between the two pre surgery it may still be stronger.

oh that and the 97% I stated was with regard to a ruptured pec muscle, I doubt if it's the same prognosis to every other ruptured and repaired muscle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Test-e said:

Healed bones do not come back any stronger, you can just as easily have a fracture in the same spot twice.

Discuss: 

They often do due to more material being deposited, sure certain fractures wont end stronger but many do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jackoffblades said:

Odd why my arm is stronger then. I noticed I had loss of muscle in that arm aswell it would measure less than the other arm now they both measure sort of even 

Yes but recovery will be quicker in that arm.

If you look at anatomical dissections of dominant limbs they have more dense neural structures as well as more muscle mass and more dense  bones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About the bones becoming stronger after damage. I watched a documentary about a karate expert that chops cement bricks in half. He’s was able to do this because each time he would chop at it he would make mini fractures in his bones and the bones would repair even stronger. Karate people use this method to be able chop things in half 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dumbat said:

Discuss: 

They often do due to more material being deposited, sure certain fractures wont end stronger but many do. 

yep it's called bone callusing 

I have it in my right hand, snapped the 2nd metacarpol and have a large bone callus visible through the skin

it's almost like welding reinforcement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×