UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

High Carb/Low Fat Dieting for Fat Loss

654 views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Bensif 
#1 ·
I've traditionally followed a lower carb diet when cutting - just started reading about the argument for high carbs/low fat and it's grabbed my attention. Does anyone follow this approach with success?

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have. But I've also had success flexible dieting/ IIFYM where its been a mixture day to day, moderate carb/ moderate protein/ high fat and carb cycling where carbs have been drastically higher or lower than the next.

They all worked, some I felt better than others. The main thing is that you're in a calorie deficit.

Deffo try new things then pick a way that suits you best mate and use it for as long as possible until its time to change variables.

I think I prefer moderate carb, moderate protein, higher fat.

#3 ·
I have. But I've also had success flexible dieting/ IIFYM where its been a mixture day to day, moderate carb/ moderate protein/ high fat and carb cycling where carbs have been drastically higher or lower than the next.

They all worked, some I felt better than others. The main thing is that you're in a calorie deficit.

Deffo try new things then pick a way that suits you best mate and use it for as long as possible until its time to change variables.

I think I prefer moderate carb, moderate protein, higher fat.
Exactly where I am at the moment mate and dropped over 40lbs since Jan. Definitely enjoy cycling carbs up and down over the week whilst keeping kcal consistently in deficit and I'm responding well.

Interested in reading/hearing more from people who've followed a consistently high carb/low fat approach and shed fat whilst doing so - personal experiences and example eating plans would be good to review. Only had a quick scan and can't see much freely available online.

#6 ·
Going to shift to a 50% Carbs/35% Protein/15% Fat diet for a little while and see how I get on - if only to keep things fresh.

Main carb sources will be potato, whole meal bread and pasta, oats, brown rice and banana along with plenty of pulses. Only sugars really coming from dairy specifically milk and yoghurt.

Bit of an experiment for me to see if the weight loss continues and how I look and feel.

#7 ·
Fair to say this has been a success... the weight has absolutely fallen off over the past two weeks, a little too rapidly in fact :eek:

So much so that I'm adding another 500kcal per day from tomorrow just to slow it down.

Now looking at a 40/40/20 split, essentially adding another meal into the day and upping the kcal from healthy fat. I'll review again in a couple of weeks.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Weight continuing to fall off. Now at 222lbs and body fat % falling weekly.

I'm never cutting carbs from my diet again.
Well done Buddy.
Im not a fan of low carbs myself, although I have had excellent results from no carbs at all. It's all about shaking it all up now and then imo.
Keep up the good work :thumbup1:

#14 ·
Mental fatigue has kicked in a bit this week, I guess having been dieting since January it was going to happen sooner or later.

Just at that point where I'm starting to feel small and flat... but I've got some pretty stubborn chest fat that's only going if I stick with it... Bit of a grind this week.

Weighing in at 220lbs now from 295lbs back in January.

#16 ·
AAS aside, somewhere around 40-45g for prolonged periods of time is fine. I have found sustained periods of 20-35g tends to have people run into some minor bloodwork issues and/or digestive issues.

Bowel movements are a very useful feedback tool in this respect.

Everyone is slightly different. For me 40g is a minimum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.