UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

Overtraining ?

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  YoelD 
#1 ·
Is overtraining a thing?
If it is what's the issue with it? As in how can it affect you?

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
I very much doubt 99% of people could actually over train. Over reaching tho, that is essential.

The idea of it is probably holding alot of people back. Take the deadlift for example, it's for some reason in bro code that it should only be trained once a week. Because they only train it once a week they think they have to go heavy every session 90%+. Then for some people they are knackered for days. So this fuels the myth further. Also only once a week is potentially missing out on technique mastery which on its own is responsible for large increases in strength for intermediate lifters.

I did a 6 week block before Xmas where I deadlifted 5 days a week. By doing this I'm honing my skillset and building resilience. Obviously all at appropriate loads. Wednesday was technique triples at 55% for example. At the end of it I got a PB.

Back to once a week currently but will be going back up to 3 times a week soon.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
it's definitely a thing.

I had a job as a "despatch operative" in a food distribution site for a major manufacturer and distributer of food.

I spent 12hrs in a chiller all day lifting boxes of bread based foods and stacking them onto a pallet.

The boxes aren't that heavy they're from 1kg to 6.25kg though you lift more than 1 at a time so you'd really be doing 2 of those 6.25kg boxes at a time and trying to grab 6 to 9 of those 1kg ones in one go.

You have to make around 40 pallets by the end of the day, each pallet around 250kg of these boxes, so you've personally lifted around 10,000kg by the end of the day.

Also someone at that place used a GPS exercise tracker and it said he walked 30 miles over the 12hr shift. That's in safety boots.

After many of those 12hr shifts in a row your muscles just completely run out of glycogen and you're so much weaker. Very prone to injury like pulling neck and back muscles. My first day off I just slept for the whole day so it wasn't even a day off really it was wasted sleeping just to recover

So also I wanted to workout, I did my workouts before work as after work my muscles didn't have much energy left. I tried once after work and I couldn't lift anywhere near as much so it was just really disappointing and I gave up and left the gym. I started to workout before work, usual routine doing 5*5 in different lifts like squats, pull-ups, ohp.

That started to make my performance suffer at work though, I got more tired lifting those boxes towards the end of the day. I didn't complete as many pallets as I did before. Also I was more prone to injury from doing things like throwing pallets around at work all day. I sometimes pulled my neck or shoulders.

When I left that job after like a month of doing nothing, being lazy and sleeping, my body recovered and my strength was much better than it was whilst I was working in that job and going to the gym.

#6 ·
it's definitely a thing.

I had a job as a "despatch operative" in a food distribution site for a major manufacturer and distributer of food.

I spent 12hrs in a chiller all day lifting boxes of bread based foods and stacking them onto a pallet.

The boxes aren't that heavy they're from 1kg to 6.25kg though you lift more than 1 at a time so you'd really be doing 2 of those 6.25kg boxes at a time and trying to grab 6 to 9 of those 1kg ones in one go.

You have to make around 40 pallets by the end of the day, each pallet around 250kg of these boxes, so you've personally lifted around 10,000kg by the end of the day.

Also someone at that place used a GPS exercise tracker and it said he walked 30 miles over the 12hr shift. That's in safety boots.

After many of those 12hr shifts in a row your muscles just completely run out of glycogen and you're so much weaker. Very prone to injury like pulling neck and back muscles. My first day off I just slept for the whole day so it wasn't even a day off really it was wasted sleeping just to recover

So also I wanted to workout, I did my workouts before work as after work my muscles didn't have much energy left. I tried once after work and I couldn't lift anywhere near as much so it was just really disappointing and I gave up and left the gym. I started to workout before work, usual routine doing 5*5 in different lifts like squats, pull-ups, ohp.

That started to make my performance suffer at work though, I got more tired lifting those boxes towards the end of the day. I didn't complete as many pallets as I did before. Also I was more prone to injury from doing things like throwing pallets around at work all day. I sometimes pulled my neck or shoulders.

When I left that job after like a month of doing nothing, being lazy and sleeping, my body recovered and my strength was much better than it was whilst I was working in that job and going to the gym.
I too have a very physical job. I have a very different way of looking at training though.
I train after work. Although tired and weary, I make sure I'm fully fuelled. I have a good feed up 2 hours before training. I also eat a banana half hour before and a can of full fat coke and 200mg caffeine on my way to the gym. I'm definitely not as strong as I'd like, but I see that as muscle fatigue, I'm already half trained. Back at my best, 15st 15bf, I could still only bench 4 x 8-12 @ 120kg, pathetic for my size, but it works. Point is, I was lifting less but still getting huge gains all from fuelling my training to get all I could from it.
To get back on tread, I have a week off every 6 weeks or so, I just feel It when it's time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.