Adamlfc23

Frequently at the gym but cannot build muscle

Hi all, I’m new here and I’m really looking for some advice, I try reading advice on the internet but every page tells you something different, I’ve been going to the gym on and off for a year now. I’m 29 and around 5ft 10 about 160lb and average build. I have been trying to bulk up and have tried shakes and everything aswell as hitting the gym hard but I see to have gains to begin with the completely plateau before losing it.

I know one issue I have is my diet, it could be better but I happen to be a bit of a fussy eater.

Can anyone recommend any advice for a fussy eater trying to bulk, and how I can get my hands on a decent workout routine?

Eat the foods you like and plenty of them, fats are your friend too. Sounds like you could be an Ectomoroh.

What is your job type? Are you on your feet or sedentary?

How many days a week will/ do you train? 

On 02/04/2020 at 4:11 PM, Adamlfc23 said:

Hi all, I’m new here and I’m really looking for some advice, I try reading advice on the internet but every page tells you something different, I’ve been going to the gym on and off for a year now. I’m 29 and around 5ft 10 about 160lb and average build. I have been trying to bulk up and have tried shakes and everything aswell as hitting the gym hard but I see to have gains to begin with the completely plateau before losing it.

I know one issue I have is my diet, it could be better but I happen to be a bit of a fussy eater.

Can anyone recommend any advice for a fussy eater trying to bulk, and how I can get my hands on a decent workout routine?

I will give advice for workout and for diet. 

For diet eat 2300kcal per day and add on extra calories for exercise. Add 600kcal per hour of cardio and 300kcal per hour of weightlifting. 

Get at least 150g protein a day from meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds, dairy. The rest of the food can be a variety fruits and vegetables like sweet potatoes, broccoli, berries. 

If really struggling to get calories in you could also have 2-4 scoops of whey protein with 500ml cream. 

For workout routine you could follow the one I'm doing. For me I've found 5*5 gave me the fastest strength gains 

With this routine you have a few options like you could do 

Monday : upper 1 and lower 1 

Wednesday: upper 2 and lower 2 

Friday: upper 3 and lower 3 

Monday: upper 4 and lower 4 

Wednesday: upper 1 and lower 1

etc. 

you could do 

Monday: upper 1

Tuesday: lower 1

Wednesday: rest 

Thursday: upper 2

Friday: lower 2

Saturday: rest 

Sunday: upper 3

Monday: lower 3

Tuesday:rest

etc. 

there are many ways to do it but you basically cycle through the exercises and you'll add a small amount of weight each cycle 

every 7 or 8 days (depending how you want to split them all up) you could add 

2kg to squat and deadlift 

1.5kg to bench and row 

1kg to overhead 

1 extra rep to dips 

1 extra rep to pull-ups 

just be patient because there are 52 weeks in the year, 1-2kg increase a week doesn't sound much but (provided you don't stall) after 1 year you can add 104kg to your squat and deadlift, 78kg to your bench and row, 52kg to your overhead. Long term consistency beats short term intensity. 

if you want you could take out of the routine the hip thrusts (they're just for me as I have under active glutes) and zercher bag squats (this is holding some heavy bags and squatting down with them in zercher position) 

You can also ignore the off days part that's more stuff just for my fitness

suggested starting weight something that you can pretty easily complete 5 sets of 5 reps with but not too easy something you can feel the next day after you've done it. 

Or.. your 10-12 rep max is a good starting weight for each 5*5 exercise. 

Screenshot (2355)_1.png

On 03/04/2020 at 2:11 AM, Adamlfc23 said:
On 03/04/2020 at 2:11 AM, Adamlfc23 said:

I’ve been going to the gym on and off for a year now.

I’ll make this very short and to the point mate.

The title of your post is about been frequently at the gym but unable to build muscle. To that my answer is it’s  how rather than what you do in the gym that really counts. The “what” would be the program the good members of this forum are assisting you with, my focus is on the “how”, that’s the effort that you put in and the way you apply yourself towards a/any program.

Secondly, I’ve quoted you above. If you re read your own words carefully, you’d find an answer there in. You don’t eat “on and off” do you? How about work? Do you work “on and off”, or are you a lot more consistent than that?

Training is no different, sure you’d need to have some discipline, and I’m sure you have (otherwise you wouldn’t be here), but more importantly, discipline’s favourite fuel is to have a goal, and we all know now that you do have that ... the only thing missing from this whole gaining muscle equation, is to replace the “off” with more of the “on”, and you’ll be building muscles before you know it.

Ok, so my post did drag on ... nothing’s new here :)!

All the best to you mate.

Whenever I plateau I go back to six weeks of nothing but compound movements 3 times a week. No cardio and up the calories. I was similar to you when I started out, & you make think your eating plenty, but looking back I really wasn't. 

20 hours ago, Fadi said:

I’ll make this very short and to the point mate.

The title of your post is about been frequently at the gym but unable to build muscle. To that my answer is it’s  how rather than what you do in the gym that really counts. The “what” would be the program the good members of this forum are assisting you with, my focus is on the “how”, that’s the effort that you put in and the way you apply yourself towards a/any program.

Secondly, I’ve quoted you above. If you re read your own words carefully, you’d find an answer there in. You don’t eat “on and off” do you? How about work? Do you work “on and off”, or are you a lot more consistent than that?

Training is no different, sure you’d need to have some discipline, and I’m sure you have (otherwise you wouldn’t be here), but more importantly, discipline’s favourite fuel is to have a goal, and we all know now that you do have that ... the only thing missing from this whole gaining muscle equation, is to replace the “off” with more of the “on”, and you’ll be building muscles before you know it.

Ok, so my post did drag on ... nothing’s new here :)!

All the best to you mate.

that's true and that's why see my program I posted it's simple. in the past I put in too many exercises too then you don't wanna do a 3hr workout with loads of accessories so more likely to fall off the rails. getting really motivated making an unrealistic plan, sticking to it for a few weeks or a month then quitting.. I did that many times.  A simple plan of hey I only have to bench and row today that's it, it's easier to be consistent . I had to learn that from my own failures in sticking to my own plans. 

On 02/04/2020 at 4:11 PM, Adamlfc23 said:

My 2 pence worth.

I was much the same for years never really adding much to my frame. I looked better but was desperate for size. 

I always under estimated the calories I ate. I was eating relatively cleanly and what I felt lot of quantity.  When I actually track what I ate I was struggling to get over maintenance.

I work in construction so am on my feet all day lifting and carrying stuff. Then going to gym 4 times a week. I was basically on a cut all the time.

My advice is get the My fitness pal app and track exactly what you eat. As soon as I started doing this things started to change. 

I also agree with @The Nolanator you need to focus on adding weight everytime you complete your exercise to the rep range required.

I posted a picture last week of my progress last week.

By no means is it super impressive compared to others but for someone who's always looked slight it shows it can be done.