UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

Who else is missing the gym?

514 views 69 replies 36 participants last post by  drwae 
#1 ·
Getting withdrawals from the gym lol , one thing is for certain i will never take the gym for granted again :'(

Whats everyone been doing for exercise? I have been doing free weights and 10mile bike rides.

#3 ·
I'm ready to break into my gym and rush through a workout before I get rumbled by the po-po :blink:

Workouts have been 1hr - 1.5hrs of dumbell/bands workout so far and training every day just to keep sane!

My first sesh lastweek I actually went onto my man cave at the end of my long ass garden with my ear phones in then realised wtf I was doing so got out the 2 bluetooth speakers instead.....oh and a 5 ltr bottle for pissing in - dont judge me, am I hell running up and down the garden for a piss every 20 mins.

#5 ·
It's not bothering me. In situations like this it becomes apparent how much you are defined and even controlled by the lifestyle you live.
If everything is reliant on the external world for your sense of purpose then you're nothing more than the weights you lift, the gear you take, the car you drive, the gym you go to etc. That puts you at a very high risk of simply breaking down when these things disappear because behind it you're nothing.

So for me, it's a loss and I feel it but it's not the end of the world. Strength can always be regained, as can physiques. Bodybuilders do it all the time. Retire, come off, lose size, come back, put it back on.

#6 ·
It's not bothering me. In situations like this it becomes apparent how much you are defined and even controlled by the lifestyle you live.
If everything is reliant on the external world for your sense of purpose then you're nothing more than the weights you lift, the gear you take, the car you drive, the gym you go to etc. That puts you at a very high risk of simply breaking down when these things disappear because behind it you're nothing.

So for me, it's a loss and I feel it but it's not the end of the world. Strength can always be regained, as can physiques. Bodybuilders do it all the time. Retire, come off, lose size, come back, put it back on.
Bloody kill joy :D

#11 ·
Same here - since sacking off the gym last week I've been drinking whisky nearly every night and enjoying every minute of it. I know as soon as the gyms re-open again I'll switch back to hard training and a good diet like nothing ever happened.

My knees are going to feel 20 years younger after all this and looking forward to getting under some heavy weights again.

#16 ·
Missing the decent equipment at the gym, but in the last week ive managed to sort myself out some good workouts with a set of dumbells at home, and with all the spare time in the house ive managed to train more often with more energy than most days at the gym after a hard days graft. Also ive been out for a couple of short runs ( a couple of miles) round the streets which i havbent found the time to do for the last couple of years.

I cant wait for everything to get back to normal....but a small part of me is loving the more relaxed way things are day to day, with the only thing to go out for is some food. Day to day life is non stop for me usually with a full time job, missis, kids ect

#20 ·
home gymer here but im missing training.

got fullly equipped gym but its impossible to use cos my son (3 years old) wants to be in there with me and tantrums likea motherfcuker when i dont let him in. if i do let him in he spends the time finding new, interesting and highly creative ways to injure himself. I cant be bothered to train on the evening cos im up very early for work at the moment.

Im seriously considering selling everything and rebuying when this has all calmed down and everyone flogs the kit they bought at once and drives prices back down. But if/when work closes then i wil be left with nothing to do other than talk to the wife.

#28 ·
For most people it's there escape from the everyday s**t. I can't wait to get back. Imagine how weak as s**t we're all going to be when we go back though. It's so depressing to think about.

Light dumbbells and bands only go so far to prevent muscle loss. Our strength will still plummet.

#29 ·
light dumbbells and bands only go so far to prevent muscle loss. Our strength will still plummet.
true but the ones that do nothing will lose much more and take much longer to regain.

So even though it can feel a bit in vain doing sub optimal home workouts, it'll pay dividends in the long run.

I can't complain too much as I've got a decent little routine going with the kit I have but when I ruptured my pec and had subsequent surgery and could only train one side of my body for months, I still did knowing that it'd make the come back all the easier

at the time however motivation was extremely low

#39 ·
Yeah i have got a few bits little cheap bench press , 1 dumbbell as i lost other lol , 20kg in weights and a cheap bar. Dont know why but i just cant workout in my garden or house its like a mental thing i just cant focus or train properly like i do in the gym as there is no atmosphere its weird and i dont know what it is but im struggling like hell to focus and actually work out properly, i mean i do have very limited equipment so cant do many exercises.

#43 ·
It's because you are at home rather than a proper gym. Even with lots of equipment it's difficult.

I think it's good to write out a workout plan and decide what time you are going to do it. Put some headphones in and play some music.

Don't worry about getting PR's just do your sets and reps.

It's difficult to do but you end up feeling better afterwards.

If you can't bring yourself to do it then if you have a push bike go for a ride every day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.