Sign in to follow this  
swole troll

The Covid-19 first hand experience thread

Now I realize these coronavirus threads are a dime a dozen right now and this might not take off because AFAIK we only have one member that is currently infected.

However I'd like this thread to be used to discuss onset, symptoms, management, length of time and finally recovery from Covid-19 from those that have either directly had it or cared for / in contact with someone that has suffered or is suffering from this virus.

I don't want this to be used for media stories we all already have access to.

(near to or) first hand reports of coronvirus only.

My best friend is just coming out of the other side after a "week of hell". She's based in Edinburgh. No underlying health conditions other than being a former smoker. The cough was horrendous, severe levels of fatigue and gasping for breath even when sat upright in bed doing absolutely nothing.

He ex partner and son also contracted COVID-19. Her ex is a smoker and has suffered, but not nearly to the same extent, and her 3yr son had an occasional cough, moderate fever and a rash. No fatigue at all.

Thankfully, it looks like they're all going to be fine.

So I got about symptoms roughly 5 days after coming in contact with the infected 

first kinda sign loss of all smell and taste and a banging sore head 

then came the cough tightness in my chest and I felt like I was hit by a train and had zero energy levels 

the fever was off and on some nights I’d wake up covered in sweat 

im now about two since I had the onset of symptoms taste is back, energy levels are back, still have a heavy chest and slightly short of breath. Cough is gone. Nose is still got no sense of smell  

in terms of management all I took was paracetamol for the fever and plenty of fluids. Not much more for it. Also had an inhaler to ease the heavy chest. 

so still in recovery period but so still getting through it  

Someone I work with came out the other side to, she said she thought she was going to die and that she'd never felt like that ever, the symptoms were, a lousy cough, loss of taste, shaking uncontrollably, aching muscles especially round the triceps and calf area. Be careful folks because it doesn't discriminate. 

On 3/26/2020 at 2:45 PM, Ekcabe said:

So I got about symptoms roughly 5 days after coming in contact with the infected 

first kinda sign loss of all smell and taste and a banging sore head 

then came the cough tightness in my chest and I felt like I was hit by a train and had zero energy levels 

the fever was off and on some nights I’d wake up covered in sweat 

im now about two since I had the onset of symptoms taste is back, energy levels are back, still have a heavy chest and slightly short of breath. Cough is gone. Nose is still got no sense of smell  

in terms of management all I took was paracetamol for the fever and plenty of fluids. Not much more for it. Also had an inhaler to ease the heavy chest. 

so still in recovery period but so still getting through it  

Glad your OK pal

Italian tested positive checking in. Well, I had all the symptoms (flu, cold, muscle pain, loss of smell, loss of taste and painful cough that was feeling like an alien coming out of my chest). My gf tested positive too since we live in the same apartment but she had only terrible cough and sore throat. Now we are feeling ok, we are waiting for the second test, the sad thing is that our job probably will start again tomorrow but we will not be able to go since no negative test.

Edit: I forgot to tell that I had the flu for 10 days straight, feeling like hell, taking paracetamol daily to help me sleep since the muscle pain, especially the lower back, made it impossible to sleep. And one day the doc decided to give us both azithromycin and the day after the first pill the flu disappeared.

Edited by Ferenor
updates

Finally spoke to neighbours over the road (from a social distance) both 40s and into running so quite fit. Caucasian. Non smokers.

In before the “could have been normal flu comments” but let’s assume it was covid.

He became ill quite quickly and came home from work and lay on the sofa. Sweating profusely and didn’t even have the energy to move to the bedroom once he’d got on the sofa. Felt really ill for a couple of days and then felt a lot better however the cough then started.

He stayed downstairs and his Mrs stayed upstairs. She stared getting symptoms a few days later but it didn’t knock her off her feet like him.

Both now fully recovered.

very strange

everyone I've spoken to from all different parts of the city doesn't know anyone that has had it (diagnosed or self declared).

entirely unrelated to my opinion or experience with not knowing anyone that has had it this is an interesting watch 

On 26/03/2020 at 11:09 AM, swole troll said:

Now I realize these coronavirus threads are a dime a dozen right now and this might not take off because AFAIK we only have one member that is currently infected.

However I'd like this thread to be used to discuss onset, symptoms, management, length of time and finally recovery from Covid-19 from those that have either directly had it or cared for / in contact with someone that has suffered or is suffering from this virus.

First casualty of someone I know personally from Covid-19 occurred 2 weeks ago from work as it was announced via email.  He had underlying health problems with his heart although certainly to young and healthy to have died so soon in his 50's.   His death was recorded as pneumonia, but it was triggered by Covid-19.   He called a work colleague recently before he died and she described how she could not understand a word he was saying :(  Poor might must have been suffocating to death.

4 minutes ago, strong_man20 said:

First casualty of someone I know personally from Covid-19 occurred 2 weeks ago from work as it was announced via email.  He had underlying health problems with his heart although certainly to young and healthy to have died so soon in his 50's.   His death was recorded as pneumonia, but it was triggered by Covid-19.   He called a work colleague recently before he died and she described how she could not understand a word he was saying :(  Poor might must have been suffocating to death.

yes it's not a pleasant way to go

and the ones that go into an ICU are put under before being hooked up to a respirator and that is potentially the last time they are ever conscious 

scary stuff.. 

A good friend of ours is an ICU nurse here in Manchester and she’s described some absolute nightmare tackle from her ward. Talked about lack of PPE, not being able to take a 5 minute break and just the number of people they have coming in. She’d explained how their very first confirmed CV patient into the ward had pulled through but how in the last 3 weeks not one person who had been admitted to intensive care had survived after being intubated.

still though, I’m sure she’s lying through her teeth and the cranks in the general forum are right.

1 hour ago, faipdeooiad said:

A good friend of ours is an ICU nurse here in Manchester and she’s described some absolute nightmare tackle from her ward. Talked about lack of PPE, not being able to take a 5 minute break and just the number of people they have coming in. She’d explained how their very first confirmed CV patient into the ward had pulled through but how in the last 3 weeks not one person who had been admitted to intensive care had survived after being intubated.

still though, I’m sure she’s lying through her teeth and the cranks in the general forum are right.

Yes exactly, its all part of a government conspiracy to create the NWO.  And all those nurses, patients and sufferers of Cov-19 are state actors creating an illusion so we can be enslaved by the government :) 

Mentioned this on another thread but a friend’s father sadly passed away after contracting the virus.

He was in his 70s, had it confirmed in the afternoon, was admitted to hospital and had passed away by 1am.  His wife who has underlying health issues and is a heavy smoker also tested positive but pulled through.

Friends work in ICU s here and even they were absolutely terrified in the beginning. 
What worried health care workers in the beginning is that they realistically knew very little about how to tackle with the virus 

second was that they had very young people intubated as well , contrary to common belief that it only affects elders severely 

Glad to hear recovery stories here , all the best to everyone x

On 26/03/2020 at 11:09 AM, swole troll said:

On 18/04/2020 at 11:08 AM, swole troll said:

very strange

everyone I've spoken to from all different parts of the city doesn't know anyone that has had it (diagnosed or self declared).

entirely unrelated to my opinion or experience with not knowing anyone that has had it this is an interesting watch 

I think with the Majority (up to 80% according to the governments medical professionals) being asymptomatic it's not surprising.

What is surprising is the dick head goverment still insisting that any key workers with symptoms can now be tested, well what a load of tosh when it's going to be the 80% of asymptomatics that are far more likely to spread the virus!!!!

2 minutes ago, stargazer said:

I think with the Majority (up to 80% according to the governments medical professionals) being asymptomatic it's not surprising.

What is surprising is the dick head goverment still insisting that any key workers with symptoms can now be tested, well what a load of tosh when it's going to be the 80% of asymptomatics that are far more likely to spread the virus!!!!

The tests they have are nigh on useless for the general public,
if you display symptoms you are able to take the test and it confirms whether or not you have it, this helps nothing other than confirming those eligible for a bed in a covid ICU (which they perform in hospital before omitting you) 

whole thing stinks, the lies that have come with this;

PPE shortages causing changes in guidelines putting the front line workers at risk of viral loading for what? to save money? 

not performing postmortems on those previously diagnosed with covid.

recording those on palliative care from a pre existing condition as a covid death should they contract it (although not false it skews the figures)

using terminology on the news like "died with" rather than "died from" 
just seems like a lot of scare mongering going on for an agenda more than just enforcing lock down adherence

again I don't have any kooky theories on the matter but it all seems extremely strange the way this is being dealt with by both the government and media that has switched 100% of focus onto covid even on the 24hr news channels, is there really nothing else going on to report on even for a brief moment of the day? 

even yesterday they announced in the press briefing that they would not consider reopening the economy until the rate of infection was below one and in the same breath they said it was below one so what in the f**k are we waiting for? this lock down is costing the country £3,000,000,000 per day, you'd think there would be a greater sense of urgency.

4 hours ago, swole troll said:

The tests they have are nigh on useless for the general public,
if you display symptoms you are able to take the test and it confirms whether or not you have it, this helps nothing other than confirming those eligible for a bed in a covid ICU (which they perform in hospital before omitting you) 

whole thing stinks, the lies that have come with this;

PPE shortages causing changes in guidelines putting the front line workers at risk of viral loading for what? to save money? 

not performing postmortems on those previously diagnosed with covid.

recording those on palliative care from a pre existing condition as a covid death should they contract it (although not false it skews the figures)

using terminology on the news like "died with" rather than "died from" 
just seems like a lot of scare mongering going on for an agenda more than just enforcing lock down adherence

again I don't have any kooky theories on the matter but it all seems extremely strange the way this is being dealt with by both the government and media that has switched 100% of focus onto covid even on the 24hr news channels, is there really nothing else going on to report on even for a brief moment of the day? 

even yesterday they announced in the press briefing that they would not consider reopening the economy until the rate of infection was below one and in the same breath they said it was below one so what in the f**k are we waiting for? this lock down is costing the country £3,000,000,000 per day, you'd think there would be a greater sense of urgency.

I couldn't agree more. 

What i find completely neglectful is the fact that only this week did my partner (care worker) finally get allocated 1 paper mask and a pair of gloves per day, what makes that worse is she is an asthmatic and i have severe CVD.  I can only thank the lord that the home is still (for now) covid free.