Sign in to follow this  
Secondtimelucky

Routine while gym is shut

Hey guys so gym is shut obviously so I'm having to make do with weighted bodyweight exercises.

My.question is would I need to increase the frequency of my workouts?

Like say usually I'd do legs/back+bi/chest and tri/ once a week. Now with the lack of weight would I need to do it 2x a week to maintain similar results or minimal loss in this time

On 24/03/2020 at 5:08 AM, Secondtimelucky said:

Hey guys so gym is shut obviously so I'm having to make do with weighted bodyweight exercises.

My.question is would I need to increase the frequency of my workouts?

Like say usually I'd do legs/back+bi/chest and tri/ once a week. Now with the lack of weight would I need to do it 2x a week to maintain similar results or minimal loss in this time

Yes Sir, an increase in frequency would be most appropriate under the circumstances. 

What circumstances?
No, it’s not because the gym is shut .., rather, it’s because the intensity has been reduced (I’m suspecting it would be), and that’s the direct effect of weights vs your own body weight.

To clarify the “why”, the reasoning behind my reply above, it’s because of the following: a higher frequency to one’s training is no more or less than a tool ... as there’s nothing magical about high frequency in and of itself. In fact, this particular tool can have you stop training altogether due to injury or illness, if abused rather than used for its optimal purpose.

What is the main purpose of a higher frequency application then? It’s to inject a higher volume of work into one’s overall weekly workouts. What does that mean and why would this tool be dangerous if abused? Because higher volume requires less intensity (less weight on the bar not less effort though). This now brings us full circle to home/body weight training vs actual weights. Since the implication here is less intensity by default, it makes perfect sense to increase the frequency in order to compensate for it.

All the best to you Sir,

Edit: I made mention of the word “dangerous” when discussing high frequency training above. This danger lies when the trainee believes he could still engage in high intensity training whilst utilising this formidable tool, a tool that was created out of necessity in order to factor in more workload over the duration of a weekly training program.

5 hours ago, Sasnak said:

Off topic but Hello Fadi. Hope you are okay.

Good afternoon to you mate, I hope you and your family are keeping safe in this crazy world we’re living in now. I’m fine thank you for asking. I’m still working, which is a blessing these days when soooo many much more deserving than I have been laid off work.

Wishing you and everyone reading this, a safe return to normality in the near future.

58 minutes ago, Fadi said:

Good afternoon to you mate, I hope you and your family are keeping safe in this crazy world we’re living in now. I’m fine thank you for asking. I’m still working, which is a blessing these days when soooo many much more deserving than I have been laid off work.

Wishing you and everyone reading this, a safe return to normality in the near future.

Thanks Fadi. We are a resilient bunch in the U.K, or at least I hope we are. I’m afraid that there are a few that can’t seemingly cope and are panicking, panic buying food leaving shelves empty and so on. How these people would have been living through a civil war like you did is anyone’s guess. Take care Fadi.

imo you do not need to train without weight. 

you could get some plastic barrels and fill them with water 1litre is 1kg. you can buy 2 120 litre plastic drums on eBay for £10. you can do with them something like atlas stones.. zercher squats.  Another thing you can buy is bags of sand or cement. very cheap. also resistance bands. you can put bags on your back like try doing pressups with 1 or 2 25kg bags on your back. it's good. you just have to get a little creative but cheap weights are available 

also some other advice.. if you are doing bodyweight you can still try to find ways to do taxing stuff like 1 handed pressups, 1 leg squats, 1 arm Fatman pull-ups.. 

you can do a routine such as 

exercise 1: heavy weight e.g. 1 handed pressup 

exercise 2: power work, explosive pushups/clap pushups 

exercise 3: hypertrophy/endurance, slow pushups to exhaustion 

Then that's chest done. 

I would probably try to do it every other day do 1 day upper 1 day lower but see how the body feels and go by that 

I’ve dropped my weight significantly and increased volume. I use a 500mil can of Stella and do bicep curls from my lap to my mouth. I alternate the hand I’m holding the can with from one can to the next. I’m finding that after about 10 cans I cannot remember which hand I started with so my workouts are probably not even