Sign in to follow this  
Dadbod2020

A hypothetical question...

Can you build muscle whilst doing your job? 

For example I work at my local garden centre nursery and I'm lifting and unloading all day - in a roundabout way its almost strongman style lifting (well almost, come on humour me). 

So is it possible you could build muscle whilst carrying out certain work activities? 

6 minutes ago, Dadbod2020 said:

Can you build muscle whilst doing your job? 

For example I work at my local garden centre nursery and I'm lifting and unloading all day - in a roundabout way its almost strongman style lifting (well almost, come on humour me). 

So is it possible you could build muscle whilst carrying out certain work activities? 

Certainly maintain if your lifting the same weight/carrying for same time. If there is any increased to your normal day in terms of weight lifted/time lifted whilst walking then this would create adaptation = change in muscle fibres/cardio capacity 

Just now, Kazza61 said:

No. If you could every farmer and labourer would be built like brick shithouses but they're not. 

But if building muscle in its basic form is time under tension and increasing the load on the muscle then in theory it could be possible could it not?  What would be the difference between lifting a barbell as opposed to a heavy sack of s**t (manure in my case so actual s**t) 

1 minute ago, Dadbod2020 said:

But if building muscle in its basic form is time under tension and increasing the load on the muscle then in theory it could be possible could it not?  What would be the difference between lifting a barbell as opposed to a heavy sack of s**t (manure in my case so actual s**t) 

In my opinion the two missing ingredients would be range of motion and increasing resistance. Most work based lifting is in a fairly fixed plane and it's also pretty much the same amount of resistance day in day out. 

10 minutes ago, Kazza61 said:

In my opinion the two missing ingredients would be range of motion and increasing resistance. Most work based lifting is in a fairly fixed plane and it's also pretty much the same amount of resistance day in day out. 

That would make sense in some respects seeing as it can be monotonous. Although it would certainly help in maintaining until we can get back in the gym

I would say strength more than muscle, some delivery guys that are quite small handle some fairly heavy and odd shaped boxes to my house over the years, they say where do you want it mate, I say just in the hall please,  later when I have gone to move it, I think fcuk me that little fella handled it no problem, and I'm here struggling like a Cnut lol

2 hours ago, AncientOldBloke said:

No.

Cos progressive overload isnt there.

You'll hit a certain level and stay there.

Well Glen, he could always progressively overload his work himself. For example wear a weighted rucksack.. lift items not once but twice.. jog between tasks.. isolate specific muscles with any items lifted etc

13 minutes ago, superpube said:

Well Glen, he could always progressively overload his work himself. For example wear a weighted rucksack.. lift items not once but twice.. jog between tasks.. isolate specific muscles with any items lifted etc

Possible in theory. I could lift more each day I guess but it would be impossible to track progress.