Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Pancake'

Careful with underhand pulls

Recommended Posts

I nearly tore my right bicep performing a underhand barbell row just now, felt a sharp rather odd rip sensation occur. last thing anyone wants given the current circumstances is a trip to a hospital with any injury. tear a bicep and end up with corona ffs! thinking about it, progressive overload with a supinated grip pull imo is treading on thin ice. 72kg atm with a 120kg row and not long back consistently training, so it was pretty heavy for the small level of overall mass I have at this moment in time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never underhand rowed for this very reason, Tried it years ago, instantly felt it wouldn't be good for the arms.

I find i feel barbell rows the best with a grip just a bit wider than my deadlift grip. And bent over maybe just a bit more than 45 degrees. If you use figure 8 straps and really concentrate on moving the elbows back rather than the weight up you'll get a fantastic pump with not much weight on the bar. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Tonysco said:

I've never underhand rowed for this very reason, Tried it years ago, instantly felt it wouldn't be good for the arms.

I find i feel barbell rows the best with a grip just a bit wider than my deadlift grip. And bent over maybe just a bit more than 45 degrees. If you use figure 8 straps and really concentrate on moving the elbows back rather than the weight up you'll get a fantastic pump with not much weight on the bar. 

 

What I aim to usually complete is a back movement with a different grip variation in order to hit the back differently from all angles. I believe supinated grip rows and pulls to provide some solid development to a back. I was only ever a overhand rower, mixed grip dead’s being the exception here but my lats responded well to supinated pulls and I noticed the difference within a fortnight. I just won’t treat them like a overhand grip variation in were I can row heavier and in a more aggressive or reckless manner. I honestly thought it was about to tear and ended the session instantly. Best tip I find with most pulls is to apply a thumbless grip, which you can get away with overhand or neutral. I find thumbless grip for presses or pulls incorporates the muscle much more, I use sparingly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not being a dick here.. but basic biomechanics would tell you supination/pronation of the wrist has absolutely zero baring on the movement pattern of the row itself

if you're feeling it in the lats better with a supinated grip, it's more than likely because you're using a more suitable weight due to the bicep being more involved, and/or executing the movement better

try this .. with no literally no weight in the hands, but mimicking a supinated grip, go back into the contracted position and really squeeze the lats so you can feel that, whilst holding this switch your grip to pronated .. I can almost guarantee you will not feel an ounce of different in the lats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, JLawson90 said:

not being a dick here.. but basic biomechanics would tell you supination/pronation of the wrist has absolutely zero baring on the movement pattern of the row itself

if you're feeling it in the lats better with a supinated grip, it's more than likely because you're using a more suitable weight due to the bicep being more involved, and/or executing the movement better

try this .. with no literally no weight in the hands, but mimicking a supinated grip, go back into the contracted position and really squeeze the lats so you can feel that, whilst holding this switch your grip to pronated .. I can almost guarantee you will not feel an ounce of different in the lats

Go heavy on either supinated or pronated and see which one is more vulnerable and susceptible for a bicep tear and which one builds more upper lat and back thickness vs lower-mid lats, back thickness.

My form is pretty tight despite nearly a 2xBW row. I have a theory certain bicep insertions are more prone to being torn and I believe this to be the case for myself. my 100kg friend underhand rows four plates for sets of 10-12 and seems fine on the other hand. 

I‘m of the belief a supinated grip targets more of lower-mid lats. If you only ever did pronated grip and suddenly switched strictly to supinated grip, I would wager your back would start looking slightly different. I experienced this personally. the movement changes given the grip/elbow direction. the emphasis on a muscle being targeted shifts depending on your grip.

Perhaps I’m wrong, either way I nearly fcuked my sh*t up rowing supinated.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Pancake' said:

Go heavy on either supinated or pronated and see which one is more vulnerable and susceptible for a bicep tear and which one builds more upper lat and back thickness vs lower-mid lats, back thickness.

My form is pretty tight despite nearly a 2xBW row. I have a theory certain bicep insertions are more prone to being torn and I believe this to be the case for myself. my 100kg friend underhand rows four plates for sets of 10-12 and seems fine on the other hand. 

I‘m of the belief a supinated grip targets more of lower-mid lats. If you only ever did pronated grip and suddenly switched strictly to supinated grip, I would wager your back would start looking slightly different. I experienced this personally. the movement changes given the grip/elbow direction. the emphasis on a muscle being targeted shifts depending on your grip.

Perhaps I’m wrong, either way I nearly fcuked my sh*t up rowing supinated.

 

I think we've had a slight misunderstanding here mate .. I know it will massively effect the forearms and biceps differently and supinated puts WAY more stress on the bicep

but I just dont agree it effects the back differently, as the bar path/movement itself can remain exactly the same .. maybe when you alter your grip it's inadvertently just making you alter this path/movement? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JLawson90 said:

I think we've had a slight misunderstanding here mate .. I know it will massively effect the forearms and biceps differently and supinated puts WAY more stress on the bicep

but I just dont agree it effects the back differently, as the bar path/movement itself can remain exactly the same .. maybe when you alter your grip it's inadvertently just making you alter this path/movement? 

Knew I was right. :P 

This guy is a bore but he knows his shiz. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×