Sign in to follow this  
Fors331

Failed bench press looking like a tit with the bb glued to my chest

Many others always train by themselves and so many times i fail a bench press and look like a right amateur even though i do the weight every week! Just sometimes its been a long day so fail the rep

Happens to me. I lift it up just expecting to be able to do it but after a hard day at work it’s a gamble if I’m going to be at full strength and leaves me really confused when I fail a weight that should be easy for me 

Happened to me years ago when I first got into training. Had a cheap Argos bench setup with about 80kg of weight. Stapled most of it to my chest with no-one around at home and had to shake off my potential demise by lowering down to my abs slowly and then flipping it to one side.

If you're failing weight you should be able to lift then you're not training and/or recovering properly. You should be able to do 90% of your max effort most of the time, so that's weight you can lift. Any less than that and you should be able to do more still, again weight you should be able to lift no problem. 100% is difficult obviously. 90-95% of your actual max you should be able to knock out a few reps. 80-85% should just about jump into double digits, 10 or so, maybe more. 60-65-70+ should be 10-15 reps, maybe 20. Anything less and you're talking your 20-30RM which is usually half your max effort, or less.

You guys tried a decent strength training program? I'm doing Wendler 5/3/1 with BBB (Boring but Big) but I'm experimenting with BBS (Boring but Strong) as well. You do 5 reps for 3 sets and the last set is AMRAP. The first week is your lightest week. Then you do 3 reps for 3 sets with the last set AMRAP. Second week is heavier. Then you do 5 reps, 3 reps and last set is AMRAP on your last week. This week is heaviest. With supplemental work I've been doing 5 sets of 10 reps as volume work after the main sets. But I've tried BBS which is inverted, 10 sets of 5 reps for strength primarily. Then assistance work which working weak points ie locking out (triceps mainly) and getting it off your chest (chest, shoulders, back).

My bench press has gone up 35kg in 8 weeks. And my bench press is shockingly poor compared to my other lifts so thats a huge investment for me. Might want to look at your programming?

On 24/03/2020 at 3:49 PM, daringhorse said:

Happened to me years ago when I first got into training. Had a cheap Argos bench setup with about 80kg of weight. Stapled most of it to my chest with no-one around at home and had to shake off my potential demise by lowering down to my abs slowly and then flipping it to one side.

If you're failing weight you should be able to lift then you're not training and/or recovering properly. You should be able to do 90% of your max effort most of the time, so that's weight you can lift. Any less than that and you should be able to do more still, again weight you should be able to lift no problem. 100% is difficult obviously. 90-95% of your actual max you should be able to knock out a few reps. 80-85% should just about jump into double digits, 10 or so, maybe more. 60-65-70+ should be 10-15 reps, maybe 20. Anything less and you're talking your 20-30RM which is usually half your max effort, or less.

You guys tried a decent strength training program? I'm doing Wendler 5/3/1 with BBB (Boring but Big) but I'm experimenting with BBS (Boring but Strong) as well. You do 5 reps for 3 sets and the last set is AMRAP. The first week is your lightest week. Then you do 3 reps for 3 sets with the last set AMRAP. Second week is heavier. Then you do 5 reps, 3 reps and last set is AMRAP on your last week. This week is heaviest. With supplemental work I've been doing 5 sets of 10 reps as volume work after the main sets. But I've tried BBS which is inverted, 10 sets of 5 reps for strength primarily. Then assistance work which working weak points ie locking out (triceps mainly) and getting it off your chest (chest, shoulders, back).

My bench press has gone up 35kg in 8 weeks. And my bench press is shockingly poor compared to my other lifts so thats a huge investment for me. Might want to look at your programming?

You're pissed if you think its possible to work at 90% every week