Kazza61

Taking Toddler Abroad.

Booked to go to Gran Canaria in a fortnight with missus and 2 year old toddler. Bit worried now that Coronavirus is in Tenerife. What do you think - chance it and it'll probably be alright or play safe and stay home?

Hard one mate, on the one hand they are playing this down as nothing more than a cold,  then on the other hand there is cities in lock down as well as hotels.  Your holiday could become an absolute nightmare.  If it were me, I wouldn't put the little one at risk.  

32 minutes ago, Fattynomore said:

Hard one mate, on the one hand they are playing this down as nothing more than a cold,  then on the other hand there is cities in lock down as well as hotels.  Your holiday could become an absolute nightmare.  If it were me, I wouldn't put the little one at risk.  

Inclined to agree. £1600 down the drain.....

1 hour ago, Kazza61 said:

Booked to go to Gran Canaria in a fortnight with missus and 2 year old toddler. Bit worried now that Coronavirus is in Tenerife. What do you think - chance it and it'll probably be alright or play safe and stay home?

Ouch. 

10 minutes ago, BLUE(UK) said:

Ouch. 

I know. If I cancel I get nothing back. If I reschedule it's classed as a cancellation and I get nothing back. Hopefully Foreign Office says only essential travel then Insurance kicks in. 

The government will publish if its not safe to travel, if they do then generally your travel insurance will cover the costs of the holiday. If you personally decide it isn't safe, then you've lost your money 

A lady on the news tonight said she had contacted the holiday company and they said they would allow her to make a different date due to it not being their fault the virus was spreading around. Slim to no chance your holiday company don’t have any similar policy?  Ask them just in case you can defer?

There has been 0 cases of a child under the age 10 dying from the virus, also a 0.2% chance of dying from the virus between the ages of 10 to 49, people over 80 have a 15% chance.

Nobody really knows at the minute but looks like it isn't as dangerous to young people as first thought.

17 hours ago, Fongtu said:

There has been 0 cases of a child under the age 10 dying from the virus, also a 0.2% chance of dying from the virus between the ages of 10 to 49, people over 80 have a 15% chance.

Nobody really knows at the minute but looks like it isn't as dangerous to young people as first thought.

It isn’t but running the risk of being quarantined for a couple of weeks returning from your holidays is definitely a reason not to travel right now .

12 minutes ago, anna1 said:

It isn’t but running the risk of being quarantined for a couple of weeks returning from your holidays is definitely a reason not to travel right now .

Compelling answers for and against traveling. I have a feeling we won't make a final decision until the night before. 

Just now, Kazza61 said:

Compelling answers for and against traveling. I have a feeling we won't make a final decision until the night before. 

Chances are you’ll all be fine 

I would be more worried about the flight than the actual stay . x 

On 2/27/2020 at 6:09 PM, Kazza61 said:

What do you think

I’d go mate, unless your kid has an underlying illness. My daughter used to struggle with her chest and it crossed our minds that year swine flu was going about but it didn’t stop us going. She would have been about the same age at the time. The canary’s have world class municipal hospitals anyway so you’d be no worse off taking ill there as here.

I’m sat in an airport in Hungary atm. Lots of people wearing masks.

3 hours ago, anna1 said:

If everyone got quarantined at Liverpool John Lennon airport imagine all the people