Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bigaldevlin

Video training log -Big Als

Recommended Posts

Hi so I've always kept a video log of my training and I've shared old bits on here before when I used to post more but thought I'd start again. Mainly just for entertainment but also comments and criticism questions and answers etc. Got two vids to share the summary of my 2019 workouts (what bits I could find on the computer) and then my first video of theis year

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do normal deadlifts from time to time but it was about 8months ago I replaced them with rack lifts. I've done weights for about ten years now so done done loads of deadlifts but I suffer from lower back injuries and the pain lifting from the ground was unpredictable but literally crippling when I got it - literally couldn't move my legs for days at a time. So I started doing rack lifts as they seem to take the pressure off my lower back and as a result my back gives me no problems anymore. Regards not calling them proper deadlifts I agree and understand but personally going on the rack hasn't added any weight on my lift -i lift the same as I fo off the ground but of course it uses less muscles. As you can see I almost stiff legged them up as it makes it hard to use your legs bit that's cool because obvs I'm training back and I never skip leg day lol  and the height isn't much higher than when i used to do sumo deadlift. And thanks about the bench it feels s**t at the mo still havnt recovered from a pec tear I got a few years ago whilst repping 180kg but getting there bit by bit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bigaldevlin said:

also comments and criticism questions and answers etc.

firstly it's great to have you on the forum posting content, we seem to have had a lack of member journals on here lately. 

regarding this sentence I've quoted ^^ 

based off what I saw of your training video I will say that those shrugs wont be doing much of anything bar perhaps some core stimulation due to the load, there is no visible contraction of your traps whatsoever 

secondly your 220kg squat was very shallow on depth, If you continue to 'progress' with this kind of ROM it will only be a matter of time before you rupture another muscle

reason being is you will get stronger in that start ROM and then the day you do drop an inch or 2 too low into that ROM that you havn't trained at all you will almost certainly fold under the load

with the squat this doesn't mean you need to go so deep that your glutes touch your calves but you should be aiming for a touch below parallel. 

again I'm only highlighting this as constructive criticism as this is what you welcomed  
if you wish to continue training in this fashion then by all means do and I wont comment on it again but as someone that has also been through a full pec rupture like yourself we both know how soul destroying those kind of injuries are

all the best :thumb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, swole troll said:

firstly it's great to have you on the forum posting content, we seem to have had a lack of member journals on here lately. 

regarding this sentence I've quoted ^^ 

based off what I saw of your training video I will say that those shrugs wont be doing much of anything bar perhaps some core stimulation due to the load, there is no visible contraction of your traps whatsoever 

secondly your 220kg squat was very shallow on depth, If you continue to 'progress' with this kind of ROM it will only be a matter of time before you rupture another muscle

reason being is you will get stronger in that start ROM and then the day you do drop an inch or 2 too low into that ROM that you havn't trained at all you will almost certainly fold under the load

with the squat this doesn't mean you need to go so deep that your glutes touch your calves but you should be aiming for a touch below parallel. 

again I'm only highlighting this as constructive criticism as this is what you welcomed  
if you wish to continue training in this fashion then by all means do and I wont comment on it again but as someone that has also been through a full pec rupture like yourself we both know how soul destroying those kind of injuries are

all the best :thumb

Cheers mate hopefully you'll see an improv event as the videos go on. I'll try incorporate what you said into the training . Cheers again mate :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Echo what was said above. Range of motion doesn’t seem great on all movements. Shoulder press was too high, squats a tad to high and shrugs doing very little.
 

I noticed your back rounding on the rack pulls. Could end up another injury if your not careful. I would look at strengthening your core and making sure you have the mobility to complete the lift safely. Would also look at improving your lower back with hyper extensions etc. 
 

You have a bit of strength behind you but you could be a whole lot better my improving them areas. Good to have you on board though. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, boutye911 said:

Echo what was said above. Range of motion doesn’t seem great on all movements. Shoulder press was too high, squats a tad to high and shrugs doing very little.
 

I noticed your back rounding on the rack pulls. Could end up another injury if your not careful. I would look at strengthening your core and making sure you have the mobility to complete the lift safely. Would also look at improving your lower back with hyper extensions etc. 
 

You have a bit of strength behind you but you could be a whole lot better my improving them areas. Good to have you on board though. 

 

Cheers mate and totally agree about the core strength. Deffo something I have to work on always been a weak spot -but no excuses time to work it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I've got about another week until I do my weights log (I only do it once a month) but I did a martial arts training video from this week's work (I do cage fighting) and prep. Not everyones cup of tea I know but in case you like this kind of stuff I thought I'd share whilst I get more weight training footage

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I've had a really good month of training. Been training 2-3 times per day 5-6 times a week and really enjoying the extra elements I've brought in. Anyways here February's training video

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2020 at 10:49 PM, bigaldevlin said:

So I've had a really good month of training. Been training 2-3 times per day 5-6 times a week and really enjoying the extra elements I've brought in. Anyways here February's training video

 

 

Looking like you're moving a good amount of weight but at the cost of form and range of movement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Vinny said:

Looking like you're moving a good amount of weight but at the cost of form and range of movement.

Yea a few people have said that regards some of my movements, which ones do you think need work? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bigaldevlin said:

Yea a few people have said that regards some of my movements, which ones do you think need work? 

Main two that stick out for me in the last video is the behind the neck press and incline bench tricep extensions.

I believe, If you lower the weight, slow down the movements and try to get more range, you will recruit more muscle growth.

You will still be in-directly overloading the muscles with the heavy weight from your other lifts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/03/2020 at 1:52 PM, Vinny said:

Main two that stick out for me in the last video is the behind the neck press and incline bench tricep extensions.

I believe, If you lower the weight, slow down the movements and try to get more range, you will recruit more muscle growth.

You will still be in-directly overloading the muscles with the heavy weight from your other lifts.

Cheers mate :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×