Sign in to follow this  
boutye911

Thor pulling 480kg

very impressive feat of strength non-the-less .. but even if he pulls 501 on that bar, it still doesnt beat the 500 WR for me as it's a very different setup, look at the flex in the bar .. he's not taking the full weight from the floor 

also, just to play devils advocate, there's a huge different between 480 and 500, it's not like increasing from 280 to 300

Until there is a standard, the numbers on the plates will win.

Eddie wore a deadlift suit for example. not allowed in Arnold Classic.

Elephant bar bends more, but Eddie's wasn't done on a standard power bar either.

13 hours ago, lancs_lad said:

Irrelevant, different (cheater) bar compared to Hall's.

Eddie Halls 464 on an Elephant bar counted as a world record and the man himself is on record below

Eddie Hall backstage in 2016 at the Arnold Classic in between bites of his peanut butter and honey sandwich. He told me he hated the bar and it was hard and vibrated in his hands as the bend made it oscillate, which made it difficult to lock out. I asked how much more he could pull on a regular deadlift bar, and he said “another 20-30kg” meaning it was harder for him.

There will always be the argument about the difference in bars. I just find it fascinating to watch amazing feats of strength regardless how it’s done. Thors last warm up set was 435kg. Fcuk me most people could only ever dream of that as a max. 

I have a feeling Thor will go for 500kg+ at the Arnold’s. It will split opinion but I will still get excited to watch it and hope he gets it. Wouldn’t be surprised if he goes for the Texas bar record at the WUS in Dubai later in the year. 

As mentioned above, you can put forward an argument for the bar - you can't however put forward an argument that it isn't a crazy feat of strength. 

Sad really that like with most things, people trying to say he used x bar and he used x this and that, plus people will always make a case for their favourite  but as I say they just need to stand back and admire the levels of strength.

20 hours ago, boutye911 said:

I have a feeling Thor will go for 500kg+ at the Arnold’s. It will split opinion but I will still get excited to watch it and hope he gets it. 

I hope he gets it too,

Still though its the 4th event (1st of the 2nd day) hopefully he'll get enough recovery in to be able to pull a weight like that. He also has two events after so perhaps he'll back off a bit to save some energy for them. 

On 17/02/2020 at 9:25 AM, Fina said:

Until there is a standard, the numbers on the plates will win.

Eddie wore a deadlift suit for example. not allowed in Arnold Classic.

Elephant bar bends more, but Eddie's wasn't done on a standard power bar either.

This.

While it's still a fu**ing monster amount of weight, 500kg with a suit in isn't a 500kg lift.

Raw lift, same bars.

You want to beat someone else's mark, you do the same.lift, same bar, same scenario.

Really this is like comparing an incline bench to a decline.

Fact is both amazing feats of strength but non comparable 

Thor imo could hit 500kg under the same circumstances as Eddie if he so desired 

As for right now does he have a suited and strapped 500kg on a tex dl bar with cali plates? No I don't think so

But again it's irrelevant, he hasn't trained for that and he is fit per the upcoming event that is elephant bar deadlift.

People go on like he should train for an event he's not even competing in just to satisfy the internet 

22 hours ago, swole troll said:

Really this is like comparing an incline bench to a decline.

Fact is both amazing feats of strength but non comparable 

Thor imo could hit 500kg under the same circumstances as Eddie if he so desired 

As for right now does he have a suited and strapped 500kg on a tex dl bar with cali plates? No I don't think so

But again it's irrelevant, he hasn't trained for that and he is fit per the upcoming event that is elephant bar deadlift.

People go on like he should train for an event he's not even competing in just to satisfy the internet 

He should considering the majority of his income is from said internet fans ?

3 hours ago, lancs_lad said:

His priority will be winning the strongman competition, people will take far more interest in that. And most people don't know the difference between an elephant bar or raw deadlift or suited deadlift. I best most people have no clue that Eddie used a lifting suit or even what a lifting suit is. 

2 hours ago, lancs_lad said:

£57,000 for winning worlds strongest man and £55,000 for winning the Arnold classic, these figures are set in stone 

social blade states his youtube income as £10,000 - £171,000 which is of course highly variable dependent on content and interest.

I think it makes more sense to practice for the sport that got him his following and not risk injury to do something further to please those that are already lining his pockets with views from him just doing his regular competition training.

Basically he can go all fans and f**k off the competition training for some potential extra cash for views or he can continue to compete where the payout is static so long as he continues to do well and the internet fans will follow along regardless (as they have been)

and anyone who's only interested in the 501kg deadlift would only tune into that and then what? he's not going to keep pulling 502, 503kg ect week after week so these hungry for a one trick pony fans will soon disappear again.

1 hour ago, monkeybiker said:

I best most people have no clue that Eddie used a lifting suit or even what a lifting suit is. 

they don't 

even some people slightly in the know are oblivious IE your average beer belly slob that drags their ass to the gym 3x per week for a mandatory gym sesh and then pisses all their recovery, adaption and progress up against the wall on the weekend and with a god awful diet.

there's a reason Eddie wore a baggy shirt over the top, many will say sponsorship but I believe it was just as much to stop people saying "what are those big velcro straps over his shoulders?" and then when someone explains to them it's a suit to help you lift more weight, being a clueless nonlifting fan with no concept of how much a suit adds they could assume that the whole event was a bit of a farce (some people really are this naive) 

4 hours ago, swole troll said:

and then when someone explains to them it's a suit to help you lift more weight, being a clueless nonlifting fan with no concept of how much a suit adds they could assume that the whole event was a bit of a farce (some people really are this naive) 

So true, their mate could pull it with a suit :D