Hadenough

Which do people mostly train for strength or size?

Just curious as to what most people go for and the reasons/science behind it.

like if its strength do you go for 1rep max every day? Or do you mix it up? Did you gain much size “muscle” in the process of training for strength?

when your goal is specifically strength will you ever do hypertrophy training? Same if hypertrophy is specifically your goal will you ever do strength training?

I havent mentioned endurance training as i believe it has very little benefit to strength and hypertrophy training.

in my past the best way for increasing strength for me was to train for hypertrophy build some muscle then switch to strength training say after a couple of months “roughly”  this is just my way of doing it and im just curious as to hear other guys methods, this isn't a debate, health and general fitness is a never ending industry that will always find new and improved ways.

Strength. Don’t do any hypertrophic rep ranges. 

Being big is not healthy anyway. Can totally understand wanting to put on size if you’re smaller or need to fill out. There comes a point when it serves no purpose imo. Unless it’s for power  competition and you  want mass 

Edit: don’t bother with 1 rep max. Absolutely zero point in doing it unless you’re attempting some sort of competitive challenge. Leave the 1 rep max to the young lads who feel the need to do it. They can post it to Instagram then. 

17 minutes ago, Hadenough said:

Just curious as to what most people go for and the reasons/science behind it.

like if its strength do you go for 1rep max every day? Or do you mix it up? Did you gain much size “muscle” in the process of training for strength?

when your goal is specifically strength will you ever do hypertrophy training? Same if hypertrophy is specifically your goal will you ever do strength training?

I havent mentioned endurance training as i believe it has very little benefit to strength and hypertrophy training.

in my past the best way for increasing strength for me was to train for hypertrophy build some muscle then switch to strength training say after a couple of months “roughly”  this is just my way of doing it and im just curious as to hear other guys methods, this isn't a debate, health and general fitness is a never ending industry that will always find new and improved ways.

you cannot train exclusively for either

I train primarily for strength as I love to compete and would rather compete in an all fired up attempt lifting the most weight I possibly can that day rather than diet down to dangerously low levels of body fat, wax my body, tan it and then dance around a stage in my pants being judged on how pretty my physique is by a panel of male judges. but to each their own and by n large I've always respected the work that goes into bodybuilding 

in powerlifting youll more or less train like an off season body builder in the offseason only the hypertrophy you are specifically seeking is of the muscles that will contribute to the big 3 

the approach you listed at the end is a smart one, train for hypertropy in the prime movers of the big 3 in the offseaosn and then refine and demonstrate that built strength in season 

I train in a manner I enjoy first and foremost as that’s key to sticking with it, tried traditional hypertrophy 4x10 ect and find it boring after a week or so. Usually alternate between periods of 3 sets to failure but with short rests (DC rest pause style) and 3 set of 5 with same weight. Getting bigger is main goal really if had to pick

I was previously training for strength and size. Power building as some might call it.

the big compound movements (bench, squat, deadlifts, row, & ohp) the programme was aimed at heavy weight low reps.. 

after the main lifts I trained isolation movements (inc DB press, leg press, chins, lateral etc 

I followed this on a 4day week programme. (Push, legs, pull, legs 

I have just got back training from a bad head on car crash. My focus now is health, endurance and strength. I couldn’t care less anymore about getting big. For me it’s being healthy and having strength behind me 

Initially (16-25) I trained for size, then I went strength.  The past couple of years (35 now) I've gone back to size.  The strength years tore up my body quite a bit, definitely not sustainable unless you're willing to live with the consequences for the rest of your life.

Train for both. Even if you do one rep max you are still going to grow them muscles. When strength keeps going up hypertrophy usually follows.

Our bodies and our nervous systems were designed so they can adapt to physical and mental resistance and stress.  As long as the weights keep going up, your going to grow.

Upper lower split. One day I’ll do 4x6 reps and the next session I do lighter weights for 3x12 reps. I never go anywhere near 1rm anymore and always have 1 rep left in me if someone held a gun to my head. f**k injuries, like PSevens says, I’ll leave the younger lads to crack on with big 1rm lifts.