Jump to content
robwjw

Nutritional Uncertainty

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

Looking for some advice; I'm trying to lower my body fat, prior to going on my first bulk , and feel like I've got everything on point, but the numbers on the scale just aren't moving as much as I thought they would.

Below are my details, routine and  food plan, any criticism or advice on how to improve it would be greatly appreciated:

DETAILS

Gender: Male
Height: 6'2"
Starting Weight: 235lbs (06.01.20)
Current Weight: 231lbs 
Estimated BF%: 30%
Job: Desk based

EXCERCISE

Each gym session is 60-90mins, prioritises compound lifts, and uses progressive overload protocol.

Mon: Push
Tue: Legs
Wed: Pull
Thu: Rest
Fri: Push
Sat: Legs + 30 min HIIT
Sun: Pull + 30 min HIIT

Everyday: 30 min LISS

NUTRITION
I'm a veggie, hence the no meat.

My daily kcal limit is 1800, and 1600 on my rest day.

Supplements: Multivitamin, Vegan Omega Complex, Vitamin D, Psyllium Husk, Magnesium, Green Tea Extract

Breakfast: Porridge with maple syrup
Snack #1: Peanut butter on toast
Lunch: Omelette with veg & soya mince
Snack #2: Cashew nuts & raisins
Dinner: Omelette with veg & soya mince
Post-Workout: Whey protein

kCals: 1547
Protein: 175g
Carbs: 94g
Fat: 54g

The remaining calories are used up pretty much how I see fit, but I have been sticking to clean eating as much as possible, along with protein bars.

THOUGHTS

My lifts have all been increasing at a healthy rate, and I have noticed increased muscle fullness and tone, along with potentially decreased chest fat, leg fat and have had to tighten my belt a couple of notches.

I'm used to tracking calories, and have had success at losing weight in the past, but not with the level of training I'm doing currently, so I'm struggling to know whether this is going right or, if not, what the solution is.

At the end of the day, I'm seeing some positive differences but I'm wondering g whether these are really optimal or if there's room for improvement, so any advice offered would be appreciated, cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/02/2020 at 2:00 PM, robwjw said:

Hi all,

Looking for some advice; I'm trying to lower my body fat, prior to going on my first bulk , and feel like I've got everything on point, but the numbers on the scale just aren't moving as much as I thought they would.

Below are my details, routine and  food plan, any criticism or advice on how to improve it would be greatly appreciated:

DETAILS

Gender: Male
Height: 6'2"
Starting Weight: 235lbs (06.01.20)
Current Weight: 231lbs 
Estimated BF%: 30%
Job: Desk based

EXCERCISE

Each gym session is 60-90mins, prioritises compound lifts, and uses progressive overload protocol.

Mon: Push
Tue: Legs
Wed: Pull
Thu: Rest
Fri: Push
Sat: Legs + 30 min HIIT
Sun: Pull + 30 min HIIT

Everyday: 30 min LISS

NUTRITION
I'm a veggie, hence the no meat.

My daily kcal limit is 1800, and 1600 on my rest day.

Supplements: Multivitamin, Vegan Omega Complex, Vitamin D, Psyllium Husk, Magnesium, Green Tea Extract

Breakfast: Porridge with maple syrup
Snack #1: Peanut butter on toast
Lunch: Omelette with veg & soya mince
Snack #2: Cashew nuts & raisins
Dinner: Omelette with veg & soya mince
Post-Workout: Whey protein

kCals: 1547
Protein: 175g
Carbs: 94g
Fat: 54g

The remaining calories are used up pretty much how I see fit, but I have been sticking to clean eating as much as possible, along with protein bars.

THOUGHTS

My lifts have all been increasing at a healthy rate, and I have noticed increased muscle fullness and tone, along with potentially decreased chest fat, leg fat and have had to tighten my belt a couple of notches.

I'm used to tracking calories, and have had success at losing weight in the past, but not with the level of training I'm doing currently, so I'm struggling to know whether this is going right or, if not, what the solution is.

At the end of the day, I'm seeing some positive differences but I'm wondering g whether these are really optimal or if there's room for improvement, so any advice offered would be appreciated, cheers.

Good afternoon Rob 

Having read through your post - firstly well done mate on taking action, sorting a plan and getting down to it as that's the hardest part. 

No criticism at all just a suggestion, I would look to increase calories by around 300 as 1,800 is too little for somebody of your build and may well be the reason your body is effectively 'holding on to weight' - I would increase the carbs by around 75g daily taking you up to around 2,100 calories - ideally consume these around your workout window on a training day either pre or post workout and earlier when on a rest day (breakfast ideally or lunch) 

What you'll find is that your metabolism will fire again, in turn it will help you to kick start weight loss again. 

This may seem a crazy logic but trust me it's required as between 1600 and 1800 calories daily is too low sir, try the above for a week or two and come back to me - I'd be interested to see how things progress. 

Good luck. 

LT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/02/2020 at 3:42 PM, TALBOTL said:

Good afternoon Rob 

Having read through your post - firstly well done mate on taking action, sorting a plan and getting down to it as that's the hardest part. 

No criticism at all just a suggestion, I would look to increase calories by around 300 as 1,800 is too little for somebody of your build and may well be the reason your body is effectively 'holding on to weight' - I would increase the carbs by around 75g daily taking you up to around 2,100 calories - ideally consume these around your workout window on a training day either pre or post workout and earlier when on a rest day (breakfast ideally or lunch) 

What you'll find is that your metabolism will fire again, in turn it will help you to kick start weight loss again. 

This may seem a crazy logic but trust me it's required as between 1600 and 1800 calories daily is too low sir, try the above for a week or two and come back to me - I'd be interested to see how things progress. 

Good luck. 

LT

Hi LT,

Thanks for the response!

Oddly enough, this was actually what I was toying with doing, thinking that I wasn't providing my body with enough calories given the work I was doing and consequently not being at peak metabolism.

15kg of instant oats just arrived, that I accidentally ordered, so at least I'll get to use those up  ha

Cheers again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, robwjw said:

Hi LT,

Thanks for the response!

Oddly enough, this was actually what I was toying with doing, thinking that I wasn't providing my body with enough calories given the work I was doing and consequently not being at peak metabolism.

15kg of instant oats just arrived, that I accidentally ordered, so at least I'll get to use those up  ha

Cheers again.

No problem Sir, good luck with the oats - I’m fairly certain the extra cals will do the trick! 
 

Keep me posted on this thread if you would, be interesting to see how you get on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×