Sign in to follow this  
Hussain786

Ssb squat vs back squat vs front squat

Front squats are just awkward as f**k for me and to painfull. When I see people front squat I see it as like a magic trick or a miracle because of how the f**k the upper arms arnt in pain from a weighted bar being strapped across them I don’t know. I don’t agree with ass to the grass back squats because they wreck your knees. They wrecked my knees anyway 

8 hours ago, Hussain786 said:

What are your thoughts ?

I have squatted in 2 never did front squats as shoulder problems never let me.

I always did squats with a raised heel because of ankle mobility.

You squat on your tip toes?

SSB squats are good for your upper back and core, whilst simulating the quad dominant similarity to the front squat .. therefore they're great for strongman training 

5 hours ago, Jackoffblades said:

You squat on your tip toes?

not sure if you're being sarcastic or not here, but sightly raised heels is well known to help with ankle mobility and squat depth .. why do you think olympic lifting shoes have an elevated heel?

I used to do front squats more, when i had decent flexibillity and was bale to bend my arm back far enough to grip the bar right. Now i usually just cross my arms to do it.

I was taught it that the far actually lies on your chest, not the delts, When i started doing it cross armed i couldn't grip it and press my chest up high enough at the same time, felt really odd. Took me a while to adjust to the proper form. 

I usually lowbar squat however. 

7 hours ago, JLawson90 said:

goal dependent .. requires no core, no back, no stabilising muscles .. poor for 'performance' training

fair point. when I think about squats I think about growing my legs and for me hack squats and leg press grow my legs.

but the OP is clearly taking about squats and I just jumped in and shouted something.

7 minutes ago, JohnnySack said:

fair point. when I think about squats I think about growing my legs and for me hack squats and leg press grow my legs.

but the OP is clearly taking about squats and I just jumped in and shouted something.

to be fair the OP might have the same goals, in which case it is useful

back squat will be the strongest 

SSB will put more emphasis onto the quads (mix between a front and back squat) 

front squat will put the most emphasis on the quads but with a lighter weight due to the rack position and therefor an inferior quad builder compared to the other two despite popular belief. 

bonus fun fact I tore my VMO 2 days ago using an SSB

41 minutes ago, JohnnySack said:

ouch. what's the recovery on that ?

it shouldn't be too bad 

I can feel a small divot and it hurts to flex my leg but It SHOULD be okay 

emphasis on should as I SHOULD also be competing in a months time and now its dicey so that's the biggest thing on my mind right now

already ruptured my bicep femoris this year (same leg no coincidence there), I'm not sure I can handle another major injury