Sign in to follow this  
neil9327

I should have done this 30 years ago - part deux

Maybe a question that has not been asked here already.

Why are you doing deadlifts? Especially conventional because if its for hypertrophy purposes i.e. to look good, then you are getting the least bang for buck. 

The conventional dead lift is mostly a power-lifting exercise imho, I don't think it has a constructive place in BB routine, especially if you can't do it right.

1 hour ago, neil9327 said:

I'll get it checked by a different instructor tomorrow - thanks Anna

You're going 'around' the knees instead of a smooth movement, also try mixed grip so the bar doesn't roll.

45 minutes ago, Cronus said:

Maybe a question that has not been asked here already.

Why are you doing deadlifts? Especially conventional because if its for hypertrophy purposes i.e. to look good, then you are getting the least bang for buck. 

The conventional dead lift is mostly a power-lifting exercise imho, I don't think it has a constructive place in BB routine, especially if you can't do it right.

Hi, yes it is to improve my appearance, to make myself more attractive physically.

The reason I've been doing it, is from the book "Bigger Leaner Stronger" by Michael Matthews. In it on page 282, he says of the barbell deadlift "If I could only do one exercise for the rest of my life, it would be the barbell deadlift". and "The deadlift works just about every muscle group you want to develop"

What do you think I should do instead of the deadlift, to get more bang for my buck, so to speak?

16 minutes ago, neil9327 said:

Hi, yes it is to improve my appearance, to make myself more attractive physically.

The reason I've been doing it, is from the book "Bigger Leaner Stronger" by Michael Matthews. In it on page 282, he says of the barbell deadlift "If I could only do one exercise for the rest of my life, it would be the barbell deadlift". and "The deadlift works just about every muscle group you want to develop"

What do you think I should do instead of the deadlift, to get more bang for my buck, so to speak?

Mate honestly hire a PT, you will save yourself a world of time and herniated discs 

On 12/02/2020 at 8:34 PM, neil9327 said:

Bent over rows are good, can do them seated on machine or I prefer with a bar and lift one end, most squat racks have a slot the bar can fit into ?

On 2/12/2020 at 8:34 PM, neil9327 said:

Doing all the main compound exercises is best... Squat, Deadlift, Bench, BB Row, OHP.

Good read and starting point for beginners

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/