MV Owner

Fats from fish and nuts

All,

For the second time in my life Ive started to work out.  First was as per usual in my teens and then after a major lay off now in my mid 40s'.

This time I have been paying much more attention to diet.

I have been using an app that today says I have been consuming a significant amount of fat (45%).   This was the fats from mixed nuts and mackeral.

Should I be alarmed about these sources of fat (even though I assume they are 'good fats') or should I still be wary and keep them in check.

Many thanks

MV

My diet tends to be fat heavy for the same reason. I love mackerel. If your cholesterol levels are in range I wouldn’t worry about it. If you haven’t had it tested your gp will do it if you ring them up (if you live in the U.K) and the surgery gets funding to encourage over 40s to get it done. Usually you don’t need to see a doctor and you’ll get referred for the blood test

Many thanks for the prompt response.  I suppose the question I also need the answer to is would such 'good fats' make me gain fatty weight (im trying to add some muscle and I believe I am in calorie surplus)

Generally speaking it’s carbs that are primarily stored as body fat. Dietary fat has a number of functions in the body and whilst it will contribute to your total daily caloric intake (9kcal/g fat) as above I wouldn’t be overly concerned. If you are, simply reel it back in a bit.

5 minutes ago, MV Owner said:

thanks for this, I misjudged it on the day in question by not realising how much of the mackeral was fat / oil

Bear in mind that (as commented on by faipdooead) that it’s carbs that are primarily stored as fat. This is because they break down easily. As a rule of thumb it’s carbs causing the obesity epidemic, not fat. Sugar is obviously the main culprit.

Fats are different. Your body won’t necessarily absorb all of the fat you eat. A lot of it passes through you into the toilet undigested. If you eat 100 calories of carbohydrates your body will absorb the lot. If you eat 100 calories of fat your body won’t necessarily absorb all of it. Much is down to the individual and how much bile your stomach produces and of course, the type of fat you consume. I’m afraid there’s little by the way of studies in this area and again, it’s person specific.

Ultimately is carbs that are bad, not fats and especially not healthy fats like the ones in nuts and mackerel.

On 07/02/2020 at 9:28 PM, MV Owner said:

thanks Sasnak for this which I was unaware of.   I was clearly getting my knickers in a twist about nothing to be honest

@Sasnak goes commando (even at CrossFit) most of time so he’s pretty level headed under these conditions