Sign in to follow this  
faangs

Throwing Up BCAA

I started with a trainer and literally did deadlifts superset with dumbbell press for a few sets and my vision blurred and I was basically on the gym floor for 30 mins. I had a headache also and threw up a little. He admitted he gave me too much weight looking at my frame. 

I took a week off and decided to minimise food before training this time. We trained the full hour and mostly in the legs part I started to get blurry vision so we continued with upper body and I was ok. We took longer tests. I left the gym into the cool air and literally threw up all my BCAA drink ( (like 1 litre) and protein bar I had before (no food) and then I was perfectly fine. 

I’ve been off training for 6 months due to personal issues I’ve been dealing with hence trying to get back. 

Is this normal? Is it because my body is adjusting to the shock? Or something is wrong?

I use ON BCAAs and wonder if the caffeine in it is doing something? I’ve rarely felt sick from a workout in my life. I also feel very overheated in the gym when doing legs especially which may be causing this. I am wearing a sweat resistant t shirt and normal training trousers though. Nothing fancy.

You done too much, too fast.

Deadlifts increase blood pressure, its not uncommon to feel light headed after a heavy set.

I would never superset them with anything, your trainer sounds clueless. I would find someone else.

If you lifted the weight without injury then and with good form then it wasn't too much. 

As above could never superset deadlifts as I'd probably pass out.

Try stopping the protein bars and bcaa 

If you train early just have some water maybe half a glass of fruit juice. 

BCAA’s just make your water taste lovely mate. No real benefit at our low level of athleticism.

as above stated, eat an hour or so before workout. Eat some porridge with a wee scoop of protein in it. That should keep you going. I’m 106kg and do 1 hour of cardio and 1 hour of weights and it’s enough to fuel me.

caveat.....I also eat well at breakfast and lunch!!

2 minutes ago, gymaddict1986 said:

Get a new trainer dude .  

This.  There are an abundance of trainers, its a saturated market and totally not needed anyway, however if you're trainer can't even get the basics right, bin him off.

Trainer sounds like an absolute bellend. 

Used to see this in a gym I used to train in. Mums would bring skinny sons and ask the owner to get some weight on them. He'd beast them for an hour just on triceps and wonder why he never saw them again. 

The lead-in period prior to taking up all out proper training is highly important and often overlooked. 

The issue is I paid upfront for 12 weeks. :(

Usually I find legs tough but even when I was doing legs with other PTs I never threw up. Maybe it’s the gap also that’s done me in? 

I usually have a solid meal 90 mins - 2 hours before but as I threw up so quickly and was dead I thought I would try something different this time. I seem to have lasted the session but at the end had a severe throw up. We didn’t go heavy even. We took a 2 min break between deadlift and chest press this time also. 

21 minutes ago, faangs said:

Usually I find legs tough but even when I was doing legs with other PTs I never threw up. Maybe it’s the gap also that’s done me in? 

I usually have a solid meal 90 mins - 2 hours before but as I threw up so quickly and was dead I thought I would try something different this time. I seem to have lasted the session but at the end had a severe throw up. We didn’t go heavy even. We took a 2 min break between deadlift and chest press this time also. 

If your throwing up, something is wrong.

Tell your trainer you need a longer break between exercises, remember your paying him not the other way around.

I was fine during the session. I threw up right at the end once I left the gym. 

I think I ‘overheat’ whenever I engage legs. I feel like I’m burning. Heart rate is up. When I just do upper body I’m fine, heart rate doesn’t shift much either. Not sure why. When you look at me though I look proportional / don’t have chicken legs and a huge torso.

1 hour ago, faangs said:

Could just be shock to the system after a long lay off.  A good number of people throw up after heavy squats etc. the blurred vision sounds a bit off though TBH. Maybe you should visit your Dr regarding that.

I wouldn't be so quick to write off the trainer. He's probably not top drawer if you're in one of the chain type gyms but may be good enough for what you need at the moment getting back into the swings of things.

I get what people are saying about super setting deadlifts, which is definitely not a good idea if you're doing heavy deads (relative). But from the limited amount you've written I would take a guess he probably tried starting you doing a full body/ multiple body parts workouts with low weights and minimal rest times/super sets, to help you build up some cardio fitness while easing back into lifting weights.  Which I doubt is that bad an approach for some one new to training or coming back from a long lay off.

Everyone's body is different and reacts differently to exercise and stimulus, maybe in your case just need to take things that bit more slowly. But if the blurry vision thing persists I would immediately stop doing anything that's causing it and go see a doctor. 

Had just water and I was fine/didn’t throw up. Also we did upper body only and I didn’t get overheated or feel sick. Maybe I need to do splits instead of full body workout?

On 29/01/2020 at 4:35 PM, faangs said:

I was fine during the session. I threw up right at the end once I left the gym. 

I think I ‘overheat’ whenever I engage legs. I feel like I’m burning. Heart rate is up. When I just do upper body I’m fine, heart rate doesn’t shift much either. Not sure why. When you look at me though I look proportional / don’t have chicken legs and a huge torso.

By over heat do you mean your actually working out and getting hot sweaty out of breath etc 

Where as upper body your just chilling 

Rest abit more and don't do so much work out until your fatigued not dead

11 hours ago, mrwright said:

By over heat do you mean your actually working out and getting hot sweaty out of breath etc 

Where as upper body your just chilling 

Rest abit more and don't do so much work out until your fatigued not dead

Overheating as in I feel much warmer almost like Im burning up.