UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

Anything im missing for maximum weight deadlift?

2K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  The Warrior 
#1 ·
So im at a sticking point, i cant seem to hit get past 195kg, that 200kg just wont happen. I always use pyramids, so start on 130kg and keep adding 20kg per lift. So far to assist me lift maximum weight i am using/doing/trying:

weight belt

figure 8 straps

normal straps

feet just inside hands

hands slightly within shoulder width

lifting in bare feet

alternative grip

music full blast

smelling salts

creatine/bccas, steroids

im sure if i keep at it i will finally get there but just curious as to what others might do to hit a pb that i might not be doing

See less See more
#4 ·
programming (by a country mile) > everything else you mentioned

if you want the best possible chance of constructive advice toward breaking that plateau you should post a video of your deadlift form from the side and your entire routine inc your progression moving forward and up until this point

this is of course assuming you are already eating in a surplus and getting plenty of rest

#7 ·
So im at a sticking point, i cant seem to hit get past 195kg, that 200kg just wont happen. I always use pyramids, so start on 130kg and keep adding 20kg per lift. So far to assist me lift maximum weight i am using/doing/trying:

weight belt

figure 8 straps

normal straps

feet just inside hands

lifting in bare feet

alternative grip

music full blast

smelling salts

creatine/bccas, steroids

im sure if i keep at it i will finally get there but just curious as to what others might do to hit a pb that i might not be doing
have you ever thought that maybe you just need to get a bit stronger ?

#8 ·

weight belt

figure 8 straps

normal straps

feet just inside hands

lifting in bare feet

alternative grip

music full blast

smelling salts

creatine/bccas, steroids

How long have you been stuck on 195kg? Are you maxing out on other compound lifts during the week/months leading up to/as well as your 195kg deadlift?

#10 ·
Instead of constantly pulling singles, work up in sets of 5 reps.

More volume = more strength.

Singles are more for peaking your current strength prior to a comp than gaining more. From my understanding anyway.
this is good advice

singles are generally reserved for the end stages of the last block leading into a competition just to refine motor units

as far as building strength they're detrimental.

@Dannylets It's so blanket based off the information provided but instead of hammering away at the same weights deload the weight down to 180kg and work up to a set of 5, reduce the weight by 10% and hit a second set of 5, the following week do the same with 182.5kg and 162.5kg, the week after 185kg x5 followed by 165 x5...ect

If you eat in a surplus, get enough rest and your overall volume is at a level that you can recover from I'm confident that by the time 200kg comes round again you will hit it

#11 ·
reps and rest .. to give it some context .. leading up to my first strongman comp it was 200kg deadlift for reps, and I'd never hit a single.. I was so obsessed trying to make sure I could do atleast one rep I went through a phase of trying to hit it every week, and failing. I took a step back and done some rep work for a month, then 2 weeks before the comp (beginning of May) hit a single at 200kg, I didn't deadlift again before the comp.. which was in middle of May, I got 4 reps at the comp.

My next couple of comps had deadlift for reps in 60 seconds, 150kg got 17 reps and 180kg got 11 reps .. but the thing is, I never went above 180kg in training, as I was training my deadlift up for reps .. fast forward to a comp I had in October, max deadlift .. after a brief 3 week peaking programme, I pulled a COMFORTABLE 240kg at the comp.. so in the space of 5 months I added 40kg to my deadlift, by focusing on getting the reps in instead of always trying to max out.

#13 ·
reps and rest .. to give it some context .. leading up to my first strongman comp it was 200kg deadlift for reps, and I'd never hit a single.. I was so obsessed trying to make sure I could do atleast one rep I went through a phase of trying to hit it every week, and failing. I took a step back and done some rep work for a month, then 2 weeks before the comp (beginning of May) hit a single at 200kg, I didn't deadlift again before the comp.. which was in middle of May, I got 4 reps at the comp.

My next couple of comps had deadlift for reps in 60 seconds, 150kg got 17 reps and 180kg got 11 reps .. but the thing is, I never went above 180kg in training, as I was training my deadlift up for reps .. fast forward to a comp I had in October, max deadlift .. after a brief 3 week peaking programme, I pulled a COMFORTABLE 240kg at the comp.. so in the space of 5 months I added 40kg to my deadlift, by focusing on getting the reps in instead of always trying to max out.
Yes mate i have done this quite a bit in my past, if you get stuck at a maximum lift switch the training up to hypertrophy for a month or so then go back to strength training. The only thing that is stopping me doing this now is... iv been on gear for at least a month if i start hypertrophy training now by the time i go back to strength training i will very much likely be off gear hence weaker so its just counter productive, you guys know what i mean?

#12 ·
Thanks for advice, i dident mention, this is exactly how i work with the pyramids:

130kg x4

150kg x3

170kg x1

190kg x1

195kg x1

i wouldn't say i completely max out until i get to about 190kg, so could probably do 5-6reps 130kg and 2-3 reps at 170kg.

iv also tried missing the 195kg and gone straight from 190-200kg but still never made it.

#14 ·
try this mini programme designed to help you peak and hit the pb, deadlifting just once per week .. and always the day after a rest day .. work up to these weights with your normal warmups, but no back off sets or anything heavier than stated

week 1; 160 4 sets of 4

week 2; 170 4 sets of 3

week 3; 180 3 sets of 2

week 4; 190 2 sets of 1

week 5; 200 for 1

#31 · (Edited by Moderator)
How can you be a personal trainer if you have such a basic (being kind) understanding of programming? Do you post on forums asking for advice on how to train your clients as well? Going for a one rep max and failing lifts often is stupid. You should know roughly where your one rep max is based on the rest of your training (if you can only deadlift 170kg for 2-3 reps you're likely not strong enough to deadlift 200kg). Despite the fact you kept failing, you thought the answer was in the list of things you gave us that you tried. Clueless!

Drives me mad seeing how bad most trainers are in this industry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.