Dannylets

Anything im missing for maximum weight deadlift?

So im at a sticking point, i cant seem to hit get past 195kg, that 200kg just wont happen. I always use pyramids, so start on 130kg and keep adding 20kg per lift. So far to assist me lift maximum weight i am using/doing/trying:

weight belt

figure 8 straps

normal straps

feet just inside hands

hands slightly within shoulder width

lifting in bare feet

alternative grip

music full blast

smelling salts

creatine/bccas, steroids

im sure if i keep at it i will finally get there but just curious as to what others might do to hit a pb that i might not be doing

programming (by a country mile) > everything else you mentioned 

if you want the best possible chance of constructive advice toward breaking that plateau you should post a video of your deadlift form from the side and your entire routine inc your progression moving forward and up until this point 

this is of course assuming you are already eating in a surplus and getting plenty of rest 

I would start with the bar then add 40kg each set until near max then add 20kg. if I started from 130kg I would not get to my max. Also I don't max out on any set, apart from the final set.

13 hours ago, Dannylets said:

So im at a sticking point, i cant seem to hit get past 195kg, that 200kg just wont happen. I always use pyramids, so start on 130kg and keep adding 20kg per lift. So far to assist me lift maximum weight i am using/doing/trying:

weight belt

figure 8 straps

normal straps

feet just inside hands

lifting in bare feet

alternative grip

music full blast

smelling salts

creatine/bccas, steroids

im sure if i keep at it i will finally get there but just curious as to what others might do to hit a pb that i might not be doing

have you ever thought that maybe you just need to get a bit stronger ? 

On 22/01/2020 at 1:03 AM, Dannylets said:

weight belt

figure 8 straps

normal straps

feet just inside hands

lifting in bare feet

alternative grip

music full blast

smelling salts

creatine/bccas, steroids

How long have you been stuck on 195kg? Are you maxing out on other compound lifts during the week/months leading up to/as well as your 195kg deadlift? 

Instead of constantly pulling singles, work up in sets of 5 reps.

More volume = more strength.

Singles are more for peaking your current strength prior to a comp than gaining more. From my understanding anyway. 

7 minutes ago, Tonysco said:

Instead of constantly pulling singles, work up in sets of 5 reps.

More volume = more strength.

Singles are more for peaking your current strength prior to a comp than gaining more. From my understanding anyway. 

this is good advice 

singles are generally reserved for the end stages of the last block leading into a competition just to refine motor units 

as far as building strength they're detrimental.

@Dannylets It's so blanket based off the information provided but instead of hammering away at the same weights deload the weight down to 180kg and work up to a set of 5, reduce the weight by 10% and hit a second set of 5, the following week do the same with 182.5kg and 162.5kg, the week after 185kg x5  followed by 165 x5...ect

If you eat in a surplus, get enough rest and your overall volume is at a level that you can recover from I'm confident that by the time 200kg comes round again you will hit it 

reps and rest .. to give it some context .. leading up to my first strongman comp it was 200kg deadlift for reps, and I'd never hit a single.. I was so obsessed trying to make sure I could do atleast one rep I went through a phase of trying to hit it every week, and failing. I took a step back and done some rep work for a month, then 2 weeks before the comp (beginning of May) hit a single at 200kg, I didn't deadlift again before the comp.. which was in middle of May, I got 4 reps at the comp.

My next couple of comps had deadlift for reps in 60 seconds, 150kg got 17 reps and  180kg got 11 reps .. but the thing is, I never went above 180kg in training, as I was training my deadlift up for reps .. fast forward to a comp I had in October, max deadlift .. after a brief 3 week peaking programme, I pulled a COMFORTABLE 240kg at the comp.. so in the space of 5 months I added 40kg to my deadlift, by focusing on getting the reps in instead of always trying to max out.

Thanks for advice, i dident mention, this is exactly how i work with the pyramids:

130kg x4

150kg x3

170kg x1

190kg x1

195kg x1

i wouldn't say i completely max out until i get to about 190kg, so could probably do 5-6reps 130kg and 2-3 reps at 170kg.

iv also tried missing the 195kg and gone straight from 190-200kg but still never made it.

2 hours ago, JLawson90 said:

reps and rest .. to give it some context .. leading up to my first strongman comp it was 200kg deadlift for reps, and I'd never hit a single.. I was so obsessed trying to make sure I could do atleast one rep I went through a phase of trying to hit it every week, and failing. I took a step back and done some rep work for a month, then 2 weeks before the comp (beginning of May) hit a single at 200kg, I didn't deadlift again before the comp.. which was in middle of May, I got 4 reps at the comp.

My next couple of comps had deadlift for reps in 60 seconds, 150kg got 17 reps and  180kg got 11 reps .. but the thing is, I never went above 180kg in training, as I was training my deadlift up for reps .. fast forward to a comp I had in October, max deadlift .. after a brief 3 week peaking programme, I pulled a COMFORTABLE 240kg at the comp.. so in the space of 5 months I added 40kg to my deadlift, by focusing on getting the reps in instead of always trying to max out.

Yes mate i have done this quite a bit in my past, if you get stuck at a maximum lift switch the training up to hypertrophy for a month or so then go back to strength training. The only thing that is stopping me doing this now is... iv been on gear for at least a month if i start hypertrophy training now by the time i go back to strength training i will very much likely be off gear hence weaker so its just counter productive, you guys know what i mean? 

try this mini programme designed to help you peak and hit the pb, deadlifting just once per week .. and always the day after a rest day .. work up to these weights with your normal warmups, but no back off sets or anything heavier than stated

week 1; 160 4 sets of 4

week 2; 170 4 sets of 3

week 3; 180 3 sets of 2

week 4; 190 2 sets of 1

week 5; 200 for 1

20 hours ago, Dannylets said:

The only thing that is stopping me doing this now is... iv been on gear for at least a month if i start hypertrophy training now by the time i go back to strength training i will very much likely be off gear hence weaker so its just counter productive, you guys know what i mean? 

Lord fcuk what are you talking about. I may come across like a pr**k here but you will gladly inject hormones into your body but don’t have the basic understanding of training principles. Mind boggling. This is basic stuff your asking. 

You aren’t strong enough to deadlift 200kg so stop trying to attempt it each week.  Instead maybe look on google and find a programme that you like and run it. 5/3/1, 5x5 etc. They will make you stronger.

What a mindset to have. No point getting stronger now as I will be weaker when I come off gear. Why even bother trying at all then. How about you get stronger then make it your goal to maintain that strength or even better it when you come off or is that a stupid idea. 

1 hour ago, boutye911 said:

Lord fcuk what are you talking about. I may come across like a pr**k here but you will gladly inject hormones into your body but don’t have the basic understanding of training principles. Mind boggling. This is basic stuff your asking. 

You aren’t strong enough to deadlift 200kg so stop trying to attempt it each week.  Instead maybe look on google and find a programme that you like and run it. 5/3/1, 5x5 etc. They will make you stronger.

What a mindset to have. No point getting stronger now as I will be weaker when I come off gear. Why even bother trying at all then. How about you get stronger then make it your goal to maintain that strength or even better it when you come off or is that a stupid idea. 

See the source image

7 hours ago, boutye911 said:

Well this has got to be the most bizare comment iv ever heard, are you even on this planet you thick c**t.

i know plenty of ways of accomplishing things but i have ever right to just ask what other peoples thoughts are, im always interested to hear different ways of doing things, im got about 10 years training under my belt, a fully qualified PT with vast amounts of experience not to mention over 50 client success stories. 

the gear was a new addition to me, you really havent a clue, please when i ask a question dont look into it too much and just try to give people helpful constructive feedback on the question at hand. 

you are probably some construction worker who goes to the gym once a week after drinking 20 pints at the weekend, i live   And work this industry you thick s**t.

i weigh around 80kg you dumb f**k, you couldent deadlift 100kg if u was 80kg and would take you 20 years to ever reach that high

25 minutes ago, Dannylets said:

Well this has got to be the most bizare comment iv ever heard, are you even on this planet you thick c**t.

i know plenty of ways of accomplishing things but i have ever right to just ask what other peoples thoughts are, im always interested to hear different ways of doing things, im got about 10 years training under my belt, a fully qualified PT with vast amounts of experience not to mention over 50 client success stories. 

the gear was a new addition to me, you really havent a clue, please when i ask a question dont look into it too much and just try to give people helpful constructive feedback on the question at hand. 

you are probably some construction worker who goes to the gym once a week after drinking 20 pints at the weekend, i live   And work this industry you thick s**t.

i weigh around 80kg you dumb f**k, you couldent deadlift 100kg if u was 80kg and would take you 20 years to ever reach that high

:lol:

25 minutes ago, Dannylets said:

Keep digging. Just a matter of time 

2 hours ago, Dannylets said:

got about 10 years training under my belt, a fully qualified PT with vast amounts of experience not to mention over 50 client success stories. 

Hold up for a second mate,

Training for 10 YEARS and still cant lift 200kg off the floor for one rep?

I feel sorry for your clients. I know 65kg women who deadlift more than that.

You have zero excuse.

6 hours ago, Tonysco said:

You have zero excuse.

He’s a liar and has serious mental health issues. Passive/aggressive posting:

please when i ask a question dont look into it too much and just try to give people helpful constructive feedback on the question at hand.‘ 

and proceeds in a tirade of insults and abuse:

i weigh around 80kg you dumb f**k, you couldent deadlift 100kg if u was 80kg and would take you 20 years to ever reach that high’

Danny has blocked from seeing my posts so sadly won’t be able to see my feedback. Great intro by him though:

Well this has got to be the most bizare comment iv ever heard, are you even on this planet you thick c**t.’

Just lol. 

8 hours ago, Tonysco said:

You have zero excuse.

typical PT ime , knows f**k all about basic training and programming. 

On 1/25/2020 at 1:10 AM, Tonysco said:

rhianon lovelace? she's the only bird that light I know who can deadlift that high lol .. infact she's the WR holder for u64kg .. deadlifting 272.5kg at the weekend!

5 hours ago, JLawson90 said:

rhianon lovelace? she's the only bird that light I know who can deadlift that high lol .. infact she's the WR holder for u64kg .. deadlifting 272.5kg at the weekend!

Exactly her!

I've met her twice, shes a powerhouse, but you would never know when she has a hoodie on.