Sign in to follow this  
OldElPedo

Microwave Rice nutrition.

I got a few packets of microwave rice to work out which one I wanted to buy in bulk.

These weigh 250g and are basically precooked.

The nutrition on the back of the packet for basmati rice suggests that one serving (half the pack, 125g) is 39g of carbs. 

However the content is precooked, water weighted rice.

Usually cooked rice is 3x the weight of dry rice so should the nutrition listed be for like 30g of rice or something like that?

In comparison I cooked up 100g of rice today and it weighed just over 400g when cooked, naturally if I eat it all, I record it at 100g, not 400g. 

The same should apply to the micro rice, or am I incorrect?

The info on the packet it for the cooked product, its not like your going to dry it out before you eat it......

Dont overthink this.

Have you looked into the boxes of boil in the bag quick rice? Can get 8 portions in aldi or lidl for a quid, much cheaper than the micro rice. I used to use them all the time before i bought a rice cooker. 

Not this old chestnut again. Some people can’t get their head round it. Just follow what it says on the packet. 100g of plain dry rice has more calories than 100g of cooked rice because 100g of the cooked rice contains lots of water and isn’t 100g of the original rice. No point stating the macros of raw rice because you don’t eat it raw and it would confuse folk, which it seems to anyway.

I used to have the microwave rice but just use a rice cooker now. Think it was about 20 pound off Amazon and does between 1 to 3 portions worth. So easy to use, just stick your rice and water in in correct ratio and anything to season then turn it on. Once it's cooked it will keep it warm so you could be focusing on what ever else you are cooking. 

9 minutes ago, monkeybiker said:

I used to have the microwave rice but just use a rice cooker now. Think it was about 20 pound off Amazon and does between 1 to 3 portions worth. So easy to use, just stick your rice and water in in correct ratio and anything to season then turn it on. Once it's cooked it will keep it warm so you could be focusing on what ever else you are cooking. 

I use our multi tier vegetable steamer. 2 parts water to one rice for any amount. 250g rice and 500 mil of boiling water does all of us (family of 4) takes 30 minutes. The only problem is you can’t put it under anything else that’s cooking as the water dripping down makes it soggy. Has to go at the top. This then gives you the problem that vegetables beneath it cook quicker than the rice.

22 minutes ago, Endomorph84 said:

Haha, ohhh yes!!

I remember a thread where you were trying to explain this and the op didn’t get it no matter what you said. 

5 hours ago, Tonysco said:

The info on the packet it for the cooked product, its not like your going to dry it out before you eat it......

Dont overthink this.

Have you looked into the boxes of boil in the bag quick rice? Can get 8 portions in aldi or lidl for a quid, much cheaper than the micro rice. I used to use them all the time before i bought a rice cooker. 

Boil in the bag rice is best of both worlds. Easy and don't need a rice cooker but just as cheap almost as normal bags of rice.