Sign in to follow this  
Jake6

When to drop cals/add cardio

So I've finished my first week of cut, very easy not really a cut yet only at 2800 cals and no cardio yet(excluding 5 min cross trainer pre workout)

I weigh myself every morning and my bodyweights have had a range of 6lb in the last 7 days so must have dropped below maintenance I'm guessing. 

Weights mon-sun were:

198.2lb
196.0lb
192.8lb
195.7lb
194.9lb
192.6lb
192.3lb

I train hard and 4 days on 1 off so burning alot through workouts, but I cant see myself losing weight much longer at 2800cal 

Is there a good way to keep the weight falling off?I'm starting incline treadmill walk only 15min post workout this week. Then I was thinking to drop cals by 100 every 2 weeks and add 5-10 mins cardio every week or so. Plan on cutting until May hopefully not any longer!

Just wondering how everyone else likes to keep the weight coming off, btw this is my first cut want to get down to 15%bf about 25% now. Is 10%bf drop possible in 4 months??

22 hours ago, Jake6 said:

So I've finished my first week of cut, very easy not really a cut yet only at 2800 cals and no cardio yet(excluding 5 min cross trainer pre workout)

I weigh myself every morning and my bodyweights have had a range of 6lb in the last 7 days so must have dropped below maintenance I'm guessing. 

Weights mon-sun were:

198.2lb
196.0lb
192.8lb
195.7lb
194.9lb
192.6lb
192.3lb

I train hard and 4 days on 1 off so burning alot through workouts, but I cant see myself losing weight much longer at 2800cal 

Is there a good way to keep the weight falling off?I'm starting incline treadmill walk only 15min post workout this week. Then I was thinking to drop cals by 100 every 2 weeks and add 5-10 mins cardio every week or so. Plan on cutting until May hopefully not any longer!

Just wondering how everyone else likes to keep the weight coming off, btw this is my first cut want to get down to 15%bf about 25% now. Is 10%bf drop possible in 4 months??

Hi mate if your losing weight keep at those calories until weight loss stalls. Sounds like you've lost alot of weight quickly. You really want to maximise losing weight on higher calories whilst keeping cardio and other tools for later use. You want to keep your calories as high as possible and lose weight as you want to hold onto as much muscle mass as possible. 

24 minutes ago, Mickstar said:

Hi mate if your losing weight keep at those calories until weight loss stalls. Sounds like you've lost alot of weight quickly. You really want to maximise losing weight on higher calories whilst keeping cardio and other tools for later use. You want to keep your calories as high as possible and lose weight as you want to hold onto as much muscle mass as possible. 

Cheers I'll stick at this then just seems to easy to be working but not complaining lol

When it does stall how much cardio do you add or how many cals shall I drop?

14 minutes ago, Jake6 said:

Cheers I'll stick at this then just seems to easy to be working but not complaining lol

When it does stall how much cardio do you add or how many cals shall I drop?

That's good that your losing weight and finding it easy. When your weight stalls you can reduce calories slightly again or add in a cardio session whatever suits you. Personally I like to add cardio sessions in and build them up over time as I like to eat as much food as possible. Plus don't go full out on cardio straight away.

When you weigh daily, take an average across the week, and do not lose weight for 2 successive weeks, drop calories another 250-500 (or burn another 250-500) to break the plateua and stop stalling.  Rinse and repeat.

Ignore the BS about losing weight on higher calories or not dropping too low and all that.

IF you aren't losing weight/fat, eat less or move more. Simple fact. 

3 hours ago, Devil said:

When you weigh daily, take an average across the week, and do not lose weight for 2 successive weeks, drop calories another 250-500 (or burn another 250-500) to break the plateua and stop stalling.  Rinse and repeat.

Ignore the BS about losing weight on higher calories or not dropping too low and all that.

IF you aren't losing weight/fat, eat less or move more. Simple fact. 

Yeah that was the plan to get an average weight each week mate

I think it makes sense to lose weight on as high calories as possible does it not? As more cals will maintain more muscle

Surely there's a point where you cant drop cals further, otherwise you'd end up at 250 cals a day, drop that and I think weight loss would not be your biggest concern...

38 minutes ago, Jake6 said:

As more cals will maintain more muscle

Why do you think this? The answer is no. Adequate protein, continued progressive overload orientated lifting, with a reduced volume will determine muscle retention (fyi, should be like 95+% always if you do it right).

38 minutes ago, Jake6 said:

Surely there's a point where you cant drop cals further, otherwise you'd end up at 250 cals a day, drop that and I think weight loss would not be your biggest concern...

Cannot believe im even responding to this part -  im not saying go and eat 500 cals a day, thats just fu**ing stupid.  You will hit any weight loss goal before you get anywhere near probably 1750 cals a day (and that's extreme) - unless of course you're a 5 year old girl. 

The ONLY difference between losing weight on, for example, 2500 calories vs 2000 calories, is that it will take you double the time to get to the same goal (but I guess you could pretend its better and you keep more muscle, as an excuse to eat 500 cals a day more and have life easier). 

2 hours ago, Devil said:

Why do you think this? The answer is no. Adequate protein, continued progressive overload orientated lifting, with a reduced volume will determine muscle retention (fyi, should be like 95+% always if you do it right).

Cannot believe im even responding to this part -  im not saying go and eat 500 cals a day, thats just fu**ing stupid.  You will hit any weight loss goal before you get anywhere near probably 1750 cals a day (and that's extreme) - unless of course you're a 5 year old girl. 

The ONLY difference between losing weight on, for example, 2500 calories vs 2000 calories, is that it will take you double the time to get to the same goal (but I guess you could pretend its better and you keep more muscle, as an excuse to eat 500 cals a day more and have life easier). 

The 250 cal was a bit exaggerative just meant when you get really low you cant go much lower mate lol

So do you suggest I just drop straight to 2000cal if that's where I'm going to achieve the most fat loss? Or stick at what I can lose weight at until I cant any longer, and then drop cals? 

I dont think 2800 cals is better for fat loss than 2000 cal at all btw obviously less energy from food is going to burn more energy from fat, I'm just eating that currently as it's working for me. 

Would I not be right in saying that eating at 2800cals though as oppose to 2000 would give me better recovery equalling better progressive overload therefore better muscle retention? Giving that I'm losing weight at 2800

5 minutes ago, Jake6 said:

The 250 cal was a bit exaggerative just meant when you get really low you cant go much lower mate lol

So do you suggest I just drop straight to 2000cal if that's where I'm going to achieve the most fat loss? Or stick at what I can lose weight at until I cant any longer, and then drop cals? 

I dont think 2800 cals is better for fat loss than 2000 cal at all btw obviously less energy from food is going to burn more energy from fat, I'm just eating that currently as it's working for me. 

Would I not be right in saying that eating at 2800cals though as oppose to 2000 would give me better recovery equalling better progressive overload therefore better muscle retention? Giving that I'm losing weight at 2800

Only if you were over-training and/or not recovering on 2000 cals (which you 100% will, based on your experience)

Just trust me on this, simple as. 170-200g protein, 2000 cals (weigh and track every single thing that goes into your mouth food/drink wise) and lift hard. Come back in 4-8 weeks and thank me for saving you two months which you can now spend progressing strength + muscle wise.

People over complicate things for no reason. Nail the above and you will get the best results you've had yet, it really is that easy. Its just it doesnt prompt lots of discussion, sound fancy, or sell supplements, so most won't let themselves comprehend it :)

1 minute ago, Devil said:

Only if you were over-training and/or not recovering on 2000 cals (which you 100% will, based on your experience)

Just trust me on this, simple as. 170-200g protein, 2000 cals (weigh and track every single thing that goes into your mouth food/drink wise) and lift hard. Come back in 4-8 weeks and thank me for saving you two months which you can now spend progressing strength + muscle wise.

People over complicate things for no reason. Nail the above and you will get the best results you've had yet, it really is that easy.

Just to clear it up then mate 2000cals a day and 200g protein a day will have me losing weight without stalling combined with keeping training progressive to retain muscle?

I agree there's alot of info about that makes it sound like there's alot too it than there probably is, I'm just making sure I get it spot on as I want my first cut to be spot on mate

Thanks for all the advice though 

9 minutes ago, Jake6 said:

Just to clear it up then mate 2000cals a day and 200g protein a day will have me losing weight without stalling combined with keeping training progressive to retain muscle?

I agree there's alot of info about that makes it sound like there's alot too it than there probably is, I'm just making sure I get it spot on as I want my first cut to be spot on mate

Thanks for all the advice though 

Yep, and if your weight does stall or not losing weight, you either are not correctly measuring 2000 calories (the reason literally every time a client cries they cannot lose weight on circa 2000 cals) OR you weigh a lot lot less than I had in my head, and in the rare event you are correctly counting 2000 a day (thats 7 days a week btw, no weekend high calorie cheat splurges, beers or takeaways etc, bites of snacks you don't track etc), then drop to 1800 :)

Eat what you want to hit that 200g and 2000 calories also, wont make a difference. Although I would suggest being as healthy as poss for health benefits only (nothing to do with muscle gain/fat loss).

9 minutes ago, Devil said:

Yep, and if your weight does stall or not losing weight, you either are not correctly measuring 2000 calories (the reason literally every time a client cries they cannot lose weight on circa 2000 cals) OR you weigh a lot lot less than I had in my head, and in the rare event you are correctly counting 2000 a day (thats 7 days a week btw, no weekend high calorie cheat splurges, beers or takeaways etc, bites of snacks you don't track etc), then drop to 1800 :)

Eat what you want to hit that 200g and 2000 calories also, wont make a difference. Although I would suggest being as healthy as poss for health benefits only (nothing to do with muscle gain/fat loss).

Many thanks mate I'll get started first thing tomorrow