Sign in to follow this  
MV Owner

Training with flu

Friends,

For about the past 20 days I have had a cold but in the last 10 days of those 20 days I have had  a serious dose of Man Flu.  This was made noticeably worse when I ran on the road so I have now stopped.

I have been to see my Doctor tonight who prescribed some Antibiotics for a week and sent me on my way.

I asked him whether it was OK to weight train (no cardio) and surprisingly, he wasn't against it but said if it caused me to feel unwell then to cease.

I would welcome thoughts on what others would do in similar circumstances.  I am around 5 weeks in to a 12 week weights programme and don't want to miss training, I also do not want to collapse!

Thanks All

MV

I decide when I do/do not train - colds/flu - power on through.

Antibiotics might do more damage to your tendons and ligaments though...

...warnings apply to fluoroquinolones, a class of antibiotics that includes the popular drug Cipro. The FDA has told companies that the drugs must now carry "black box" warnings alerting doctors and patients that the drugs can increase risk of tendinitis and tendon rupture in some patients.s apply to fluoroquinolones, a class of antibiotics that includes the popular drug Cipro. The FDA has told companies that the drugs must now carry "black box" warnings alerting doctors and patients that the drugs can increase risk of tendinitis and tendon rupture in some patients.

1 hour ago, MV Owner said:

I would welcome thoughts on what others would do in similar circumstances

Have a week off and resume when feeling better. Fill the time by visiting my mother in law to ensure she gets it too!

Im considering rest to be honest as (not that its the same as weights) but cardio nearly killed me the other day and made symptoms worse.

Also I have a bit of tennis elbow so I'll use the time to try to help that

No one has said it's RS I was just asking for opinions.  How much is too ill??  Yes I can pick up a dumbell but Im sure I could pickup a dumbell if I was nearly dead but that doesn't make training a good idea.

You're sick enough to go visit a doctor and make a thread about it. Just wait it out. A couple weeks not working out is not going to matter. You will not gain much in a couple of weeks and any strength you may lose can be built back fairly quick. Have you heard of muscle memory? Strength you built in the past is quicker to build second time round. 

A rest every now and then is a good thing anyway. 

3 hours ago, MV Owner said:

No one has said it's RS I was just asking for opinions.  How much is too ill??  Yes I can pick up a dumbell but Im sure I could pickup a dumbell if I was nearly dead but that doesn't make training a good idea.

as i said its common sense that you should know if you are too ill to train -no one else can tell you and no one elses opinion will matter.

lying in bed sweating like a mofo and too weak to lift a biscuit = too ill to train

bit of a snotty nose =can train if you want