Sign in to follow this  
JohnnySack

Best thing to learn to be a bit tasty...

11 hours ago, kruz said:

Jujitsu mate, it's the bread and butter of the MMA guys. I did wing chun for a bit. Pretty useless in real world situations

Yeah was thinking that and there's a Gracie Barra place just up the road. But isn't it all about being on the ground ? I mean in a actual situation you start off standing usually.

On 04/01/2020 at 7:02 PM, JohnnySack said:

If you want to be a bit tasty in a one-to-one what's the best thing to learn ? I was thinking Wing Chun - any good ?

Muay Thai or western boxing for stand up. We could discuss how great bjj is (because it is) but it’s happened on here before where people start piping off that it isn’t effective in a street fight etc. 

If it is simply one on one (no mates of there’s to come along and kick you while you’re down) in order to prevent serious risk of injury from hitting someone and them hitting their head on concrete and dying (leaving you to ponder your actions at HMP for the next 15-20) I’d use bjj  to take them to the ground and put them to sleep. Reducing your chances of charges of intent to hurt etc. 

Wing chun is a great trad martial art but would not favour your chances in a fight with it. 

Krav Maga absolutely not. 

2 hours ago, PSevens2017 said:

Muay Thai or western boxing for stand up. We could discuss how great bjj is (because it is) but it’s happened on here before where people start piping off that it isn’t effective in a street fight etc. 

If it is simply one on one (no mates of there’s to come along and kick you while you’re down) in order to prevent serious risk of injury from hitting someone and them hitting their head on concrete and dying (leaving you to ponder your actions at HMP for the next 15-20) I’d use bjj  to take them to the ground and put them to sleep. Reducing your chances of charges of intent to hurt etc. 

Wing chun is a great trad martial art but would not favour your chances in a fight with it. 

Krav Maga absolutely not. 

Cheers for the info - looking like BJJ then. But yeah I guess being able to punch (or avoid one) would still be pretty useful.

5 minutes ago, JohnnySack said:

Cheers for the info - looking like BJJ then. But yeah I guess being able to punch (or avoid one) would still be pretty useful.

Most BJJ academies have a daily/weekly timetable that, as a member paying by monthly DD, you will be able to access classes that are either judo, Gi/NoGi, wrestling, Muay Thai and/or MMA focussed . 

Judo is also great.

I certainly wouldn’t fall for any self defence bollocks that teaches you to (apparently anyway) remove a blade/gun from an armed attacker. 

5 hours ago, PSevens2017 said:

Most BJJ academies have a daily/weekly timetable that, as a member paying by monthly DD, you will be able to access classes that are either judo, Gi/NoGi, wrestling, Muay Thai and/or MMA focussed . 

Judo is also great.

I certainly wouldn’t fall for any self defence bollocks that teaches you to (apparently anyway) remove a blade/gun from an armed attacker. 

Yeah I'll be sure to ask if they've got a blade or a gun first. Only then will I engage.