Sign in to follow this  
beaubullie

Which protein after gym

Hi ya

what protein would you recommend for after an evening gym sesh 

train at 7-8.30 pm twice a week. (53yr old)

whey isolate straight after. Or bedtime casein with milk a couple of hrs later. 

Thanks for any input. 

On 02/01/2020 at 8:34 PM, beaubullie said:

Hi ya

Thanks for any input. 

food

On 1/3/2020 at 5:41 AM, faipdeooiad said:

No need to differentiate. ‘Bedtime casein’ is a bit of a marketing swizz.

so slower release is bullshit?  i don't think so!

Bedtime as longer between feeds, therefore, slower release is more beneficial as we go 6-8 hours between feeds. isolate is generally done  being digested in 1-2 hours at 8-10 grams per hour.  Casein will give you elevated amino acids from 90 minutes to 6 hours or so. 

On 1/3/2020 at 3:34 AM, beaubullie said:

Hi ya

Thanks for any input. 

as a 62 year old id say it depends on what your body can handle after a session.  if food then a normal meal dependent of macros at least two hours before sleep.

personally id go for powdered oats,  and quick absorb protein (isolate) immediately on finishing training at 8pm  followed by  whey and casein at bedtime 2 hours later as the whey is quick acting and as that is just about  finished finished the casein kicks in . I would eat a good amount of real food during the day.

Relax and do what suits dependent on your macros.

4 hours ago, unclezillion said:

Bedtime as longer between feeds, therefore, slower release is more beneficial as we go 6-8 hours between feeds. isolate is generally done  being digested in 1-2 hours at 8-10 grams per hour.  Casein will give you elevated amino acids from 90 minutes to 6 hours or so. 

It’s largely marketing bollocks. There’s no real world difference between casein and whey other than casein generally tasting worse that whey. 

Just buy a whey in your price range mate. Don’t read too much into it. My go to is My Protein Impact Whey, they have a 45% offer on at the mo.

If Optimum Nutrition Good Standard is on offer I’ll buy that, it’s well expensive when not in offer though. 

You dont need protein straight after a workout.

If your consuming enough to meet your daily requirement then thats enough.

Whey, casin, egg whites, chicken etc... all the same imo

On 1/4/2020 at 4:04 PM, faipdeooiad said:

It’s largely marketing bollocks. There’s no real world difference between casein and whey other than casein generally tasting worse that whey. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3761774/

opens with

Two of the most popular forms of protein on the market are whey and casein. Both proteins are derived from milk but each protein differs in absorption rate and bioavailability, thus it is possible that each type of protein may contribute differently to the adaptations elicited through resistance training.

next

23 hours ago, Tonysco said:

You dont need protein straight after a workout.

If your consuming enough to meet your daily requirement then thats enough.

Whey, casin, egg whites, chicken etc... all the same imo

the optimum time is pre workout but i, for one , would probably end up throwing up in the gym. so immediately afterwards it is for me.

Tipton KD, Rasmussen BB, Miller SL, Wolf SE, Owens-Stovall SK, Petrini BE, Wolfe RR. Timing of amino acid-carbohydrate ingestion alters anabolic response of muscle to resistance exercise. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2001;281:E197–E206. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

On 1/5/2020 at 12:07 PM, unclezillion said:
On 1/4/2020 at 9:04 AM, faipdeooiad said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3761774/

opens with

Two of the most popular forms of protein on the market are whey and casein. Both proteins are derived from milk but each protein differs in absorption rate and bioavailability, thus it is possible that each type of protein may contribute differently to the adaptations elicited through resistance training.

next

Key points

• Females can experience and increase in performance makers from consuming protein after resistance training.

• Females can have a decreased body fat composition when ingesting protein with daily resistance training and conditioning.

• There was no significant difference in performance markers between whey and casein.

From your link

Carbs are more important than protein post workout,  but food is much better but ideally you'd want a slower digesting protein to help potentially open up your protein synthesis period for a natural athlete (not so much of an issue if taking steroids) - whey concentrate & isolate is quickly in and out and despite this apparently being a good thing after a hard workout, in reality it's not in fact whey as a whole is pretty crap.

I opt for Greek Yoghurt with pineapple and berries or cherries, 300g will do the trick - much nicer than over sweetened powder.

Not really related but i feel great after taking a mass gainer just after a workout. Usually 3 normal scoops in water.

I think its the carbs mixed with protein thats keys there. 

2 hours ago, monkeybiker said:

Key points

• Females can experience and increase in performance makers from consuming protein after resistance training.

• Females can have a decreased body fat composition when ingesting protein with daily resistance training and conditioning.

• There was no significant difference in performance markers between whey and casein.

From your link

the only real bollocks talked of here is the statement "It’s largely marketing bollocks. There’s no real world difference between casein and whey other than casein generally tasting worse that whey. " the quoted statement on my link  is an accepted scientific  fact despite the conclusions being largely irrelevant. we all know our bodies can  only use a finite amount of protein and that there is more than one way to get that protein. Statements such as above are just  ignorant and of little help to anyone . fai would have been much better of saying "all milk proteins are over priced and there are better alternatives albeit not so convenient." and most people like a bit of convenience so protein drinks rule! :D 

On 1/3/2020 at 5:41 AM, faipdeooiad said:

No need to differentiate. (between protein sources)

is the only real technically correct statement on here :) 

‘pre-bed casein’ to stop you going catabolic overnight is accepted marketing bollocks. One paper doesn’t make it scientific fact. To disregard the conclusion of the paper is convenient too- take a vague statement from the absrqct re the rationale for the study, build a case around that but then pay no creed to the actual outcome - I.e. there’s no significant difference in performance markers.
Even if it did evidence a benefit, the paper has nothing whatsoever to do with what we’re talking about - taking it pre-bed. 

if I get time tonight/tomorrow when I’m home I’ll throw up some other bits to support my own accepted scientific facts re bed-time casein

On 1/4/2020 at 9:38 AM, unclezillion said:

Isolate gets digested in 2 hours doesn't mean amino acids will not be remain elevated. They reach at peak but stays in stream.

Moreover, add any fat source to normal whey and it will slow up the absorption instead of buying isolate or any other form which would add to your budget.

show me one real scientific paper that shows casein does not take longer to digest than whey.

jordan with whey aminos peak at 1 hour and decrease significantly thereafter thereafter. it accepted scientific "fact" that casein breaks down slower and is more beneficial over a longer period,

however, your body can only absorb so much protein, approx 10 gms hourly: see highlighted text below .

beaubillie protein is protein is protein at the end of the day and your body decides what to do with available resources : its all about how you prefer to get your macros.

On 02/01/2020 at 8:34 PM, beaubullie said:

Hi ya

Thanks for any input. 

at that time id imagine your going to bed soon after training?

if so i'd just consume 300g cottage cheese with 35g whey protein, concentrate is fine. Dont bother with casein, no point, stick with concentrate.

25 minutes ago, Shergar said:

Does Casein have no use at all then in ones daily intake?

Danny.

Of course it does, protein is protein and casein is no different - I eat a lot of Greek yoghurt and drink lots of milk too, both post workout and I'm still here to tell the tale.