Sign in to follow this  
MV Owner

Routines for putting on a bit of all around muscle

All,

I am 45 years old,  have been working out for a month now (after a very long lay off) and have been using some routines that have kindly been provided by Endomorph so a big thanks to him.

I train on Mondays, Thursdays and Sundays (all in the evenings) and supplement this with road running twice a week which is never on a workout day.  This road running is usually around 8-10 miles on each run at a moderate speed.  Certainly not enough to get me out of breath but enough for my body to know I've run.

I'd appreciate thoughts on the following proposed routines (including the exercise order) which I will alternate and are based loosely on Endomorph's routines but have been adjusted slightly. 

I do 4 sets on each exercise, each set of around 8-10 reps and I always fail on the last rep.  I leave around 2 mins 20 between sets.  Sometimes I mix things up a bit by slowing the weight movement down considerably which seems to have a huge impact on the number of reps I can achieve in each set (again until failure).  I always try to maintain good strict form:-

Routine A

Treadmill to warm up

Standing EZ barbell curl

Squats on Smith Machine

Close grip bench press on Smith Machine

Bench press on Smith Machine

Seated close grip rows using cable machine

Standing front lateral alternate dumbell raises

Seated machine shoulder press

Routine B

Treadmill to warm up

Squats on Smith Machine

Incline bench press on Smith Machine

Tricep pushdowns

Lat pull downs

Incline alternate dumbell curls

Standing EZ barbell curl

Seated machine shoulder press

I would be very grateful for all comments please guys

Personally I'd change a lot of this routine but based on your exercise selection you laid out with a gun to my head this is how I'd run it

Routine A

Treadmill to warm up
Squats on Smith Machine 3x5 (add 1.25kg either side of the bar every session) 
Bench press on Smith Machine  3x5 (add 1.25kg either side of the bar every session) 
Close grip bench press on Smith Machine 3x6-10 (increase weight once you are able to hit 3x10) 
Seated close grip rows using cable machine 3x6-10 (increase weight once you are able to hit 3x10) 
Seated machine shoulder press 3x6-10 (increase weight once you are able to hit 3x10) 
Standing front lateral alternate dumbell raises 2x15 (focus on pump and mind muscle connection)
Standing EZ barbell curl  2x15 (focus on pump and mind muscle connection)

Routine B

Treadmill to warm up
Squats on Smith Machine 3x5 (add 1.25kg either side of the bar every session) 
Incline bench press on Smith Machine 3x5 (add 1.25kg either side of the bar every session) 
Seated machine shoulder press  3x6-10 (increase weight once you are able to hit 3x10) 
Tricep pushdowns 2x15 (focus on pump and mind muscle connection)
Lat pull downs  3x6-10 (increase weight once you are able to hit 3x10) 
Incline alternate dumbell curls 2x15 (focus on pump and mind muscle connection)
Standing EZ barbell curl 2x15 (focus on pump and mind muscle connection)

thanks Gents, I have adusted my workouts which are in line with what has kindly been suggested by Troll.  I am now starting to get my squatting technique on track so this should help me

2 hours ago, MV Owner said:

Morning friend,

I have definately dropped the Smith Machine from my routine after advice from a very helpful forum member

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a smith machine for pressing or squatting.