Sign in to follow this  
Jackoffblades

Is this a torn bicep tendon

About 5 months ago I bent my arm back doing dumbbell preacher curls. My arm bent back the opposite way and 2 big cracks happened in my elbow. For 2 weeks after that my arm was very stiff could hardly move it. 5 months later it still bugs me a few sudden sharp pains here and there. Can still train heavy on everything but biceps. I shouldn’t have gone doctors but didn’t have the time. Does this sound like a torn bicep tendon? 

regardless it's f**ked now even if it was and as such you are extremely unlikely to get an MRI referral since they can only operate on ruptured muscles within 6 weeks of occurrence.

I've ruptured muscles twice and had a couple grade 2 tears and can say that a full grade 3 rupture is unquestionable 

it's like denim tearing alongside a huge thump on the side that the tendon detaches (assuming not muscle belly) 
this is shortly followed by a very unique sensation of the muscle coiling up toward the end that is still attached, it almost flutters under the skin and you can see/feel it actually moving up to the other side and bundling up 

4 hours ago, swole troll said:

regardless it's f**ked now even if it was and as such you are extremely unlikely to get an MRI referral since they can only operate on ruptured muscles within 6 weeks of occurrence.

I've ruptured muscles twice and had a couple grade 2 tears and can say that a full grade 3 rupture is unquestionable 

it's like denim tearing alongside a huge thump on the side that the tendon detaches (assuming not muscle belly) 
this is shortly followed by a very unique sensation of the muscle coiling up toward the end that is still attached, it almost flutters under the skin and you can see/feel it actually moving up to the other side and bundling up 

It’s definitely not grade 3 then. My biceps still attached. Do slight tears ever heal. 

1 hour ago, Jackoffblades said:

It’s definitely not grade 3 then. My biceps still attached. Do slight tears ever heal. 

yes it'll heal but depending on the severity of the tear there may be some scar tissue in there 

you shouldn't really be loading your biceps anyway and definitely not in a fully stretched position like a preacher curl 

let your rows and pull ups build the connective strength and use the isolation movements like curls to induce metabolic fatigue (get tons of mind muscle connection higher rep pump sets in)