Sign in to follow this  
MV Owner

Reps until failure and time between sets

Hi All,

I have recieved some every so helpful advise on this forum which relates to loosing some weight and hopefully putting on some muscle.  I have a short term goal of loosing some weight for a holiday (in 3 months) so I appreciate I have left it a little late.

I have returned to the gym for the first time in around 25 years and have found that my gym is full of 'Millennial Men' who do seem to do things in a different way than I did arond 25 years years ago.

When I used to train 25 years ago I am sure that regardless of the amount of reps in the set and regardless of whether you were trying to gain definition or muscle mass that the last rep was a 'failure rep' where another rep could not be completed.   I would appreciate thoughts on whether this is now deemed bad or out of date practice or not as the Millennials never seem to visibly fail on their last rep of the set.

Secondly, as mentioned above I am trying to loose some weight and hopefully add some muscle and have been following two routines kindly provided by a fellow forum member.  I have been training 3 times a week and  I would be appreciative of thoughts on how long I should leave between sets.  I am currently leaving around 2 mins 20 seconds but would like thoughts on whether this duration is about right

Many thanks

MV

the biggest factor in muscular growth is being in a hypercaloric state whilst progressively overloading the muscle 

simply put; eat enough to gain weight and add a little more weight to the bar as frequently as you are able to, 5x5 does a great job of this 

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

On ‎22‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 6:15 PM, MV Owner said:

I would appreciate thoughts on whether this is now deemed bad or out of date practice or not as the Millennials never seem to visibly fail on their last rep of the set.

Hi mate, this is how I do the majority of my training. In no way is it bad nor is it out of practice, its just not for everybody. In a deficit your goal should be to maintain strength, at the very least. If you can maintain or get stronger (by increasing weight or reps) whilst in a deficit then keep on going mate.

If/ when the caloric deficit gets bigger and/ or you begin to struggle to maintain strength you may want to look at increasing volume (sets and reps) as HIT training is quite demanding.

On ‎22‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 6:15 PM, MV Owner said:

I am currently leaving around 2 mins 20 seconds but would like thoughts on whether this duration is about right

For me, it depends on the rep range. I don't do warm up sets as per say, I do 2-3 feeder sets working up to my working weight. The rest between these sets is how ever long it takes to change the weight, but I don't rush. Before my max working set I usually wait around 90 secs tops.

Only time this will change is if I'm in the lower rep range and I'm doing  3x3 or 5x5 then the rest period could be anywhere from 3-5 mins.

There's no rules, 2 and a half mins could be seen as excessive if in the standard hypertrophy rep range. A rule of thumb you could use is you could hold a conversation where you're not gasping for air or out of breath.

Or simpler, ignore the clock and just go as soon as you feel you are ready and you're breathing is steady.

As a general rule, the heavier the weight the longer the rests should be and vice versa. Some programs break these rules and still work, but it's a mantra you can't really go wrong with.

As said, rest periods are governed by the amount of weight/reps used. A good rule of thumb, I've found, is to start the next set just before you feel like you've recovered from the previous set. If you wait until you feel you've totally recovered I find your body has tricked you into taking more rest than you actually need.

You can train until the last rep of a set is the last rep you can physically do, or so you have one more rep left in the tank. It doesn't matter, imo, as long as you train progressively.

6 minutes ago, MV Owner said:

thanks awfully people,  and if I understand correctly, it is ok to fail on the last rep

I don’t think you’ve mentioned your age in your post but apologies if I’ve missed it. I suspect you are in your forties. If so then my approach as an older trainer these days is to stop short of failure as this reduces risk of injury.

I adopt the “could do one more rep if someone held a gun to my head” approach.

35 minutes ago, MV Owner said:

OK many thanks everyone and yes I am in my 40s and god i feel old!

You’ll find that there are quite a lot of us who post in here are 40+. I’m 46.

I train with a 45 sec rest between sets 

x2 warm up sets 

x3 working sets of 10 reps. If I hit 3x10 I up the weight next session. 

don’t lift as much as I would with longer rest but it’s I like this way of training as it gives me enough time at the end of each session for 20 mins cardio 

I don’t care so much for how much weight I lift I’m more for how I look 

Train like your life depends on it. Like the old regiment adage; GTFI & GTFO.

Shut the f**k up, keep the pump up & the heart rate up.

Garmin on, mobile in the locker. Go!

At 50 - time in the gym is time away from the fam; ain't gonna spend it sat in a fu**ing gym 'resting'...

Merry xmas.