Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
rsd147

Not sure what I am doing wrong...

Recommended Posts

I have been training around 10 years now, religiously been 4 times a week for at least 7 years of that where I have followed various training plans ranging from 5/3/1, GVT, muscle group splits and recent years more Upper Lower/powerlifting based routines. Been doing PPLP for around 8 weeks and enjoying the style of training and volume etc but no matter what I do I just cannot get stronger.

Diet wise, aware of how to diet and be in a calroie surplus but something is stopping me and I am not sure what.

The main compound lifts have not really progressed in weight, in particluar My OHPing and deadlift has literally been the same weight for at least a year now and alway struggle to progress on the main lifts and cannot put my finger on why. I have a trainer partner who is just a strong guy and never really pays attention to diet etc and progresses on lifts.

My stats are:

92kg, 6ft, aged 31

Squat - 145kgx6

Deadlift - 160kgx6

DB Bench - 45kgx6

Seated OHP - 60kgx8

Has anyone got any advice or suggestion that I can use to gain strength?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rsd147 said:

Not sure what I am doing wrong...

Shift your eyes to the left ... now read the words you've written, somewhat describing your avatar. I read "Getting HUGE!

I'm going right for the cause, with no nonsense. The above attitude (because our words and actions are a manifestation of our attitude), is where we need to begin mate.

1 hour ago, rsd147 said:

but no matter what I do I just cannot get stronger.

Let me change this to  read ... to get stronger, what I do, needs to matter. How's that for starters?

You're craving an increase in strength, yet instead of writing your post under the strength sub-section of UK-M, you chose to write it under the "Natural Bodybuilding" sub-section of the forum. Subconsciously I'm suggesting to you, is that yes you do want to get stronger,  but your love for looking a certain way is standing in the way of that goal Sir ... I don't mind if you tell me I'm wrong or that I'm way off the mark.

When I was Olympic weightlifting, muscle size did not feature on my radar ... it did not even exist.

1 hour ago, rsd147 said:

Diet wise, aware of how to diet and be in a calroie surplus but something is stopping me and I am not sure what.

Your love for looking a certain way ... your deep (possibly hidden fear ... until me exposing it to you right now), may be the "what" that has been stopping you from eating in a certain manner to not only gain some serious strength, but more importantly, to recover from what a strength orientated workout would demand from your body.

1 hour ago, rsd147 said:

I have a trainer partner who is just a strong guy and never really pays attention to diet etc and progresses on lifts.

Generally speaking, strength athletes don't fuss over the nitty gritty the way a true bodybuilder does ... perhaps your training partner has figured that out intuitively, because he's simply giving his body what it requires and not what he thinks it requires, based on a certain look .... you need to stay lean mate ... that was a hint

1 hour ago, rsd147 said:

The main compound lifts have not really progressed in weight, in particluar My OHPing and deadlift has literally been the same weight for at least a year now and alway struggle to progress on the main lifts and cannot put my finger on why.

If your wish was t get strong in squats, do you do what I used to do as an Olympic weightlifter, or do you include exercises pertaining to bodybuilding and "completeness"? Similarly the deadlift, the overhead press, the bench, etc. Focus on what you need and not on what you want. Let e put this another way. Focus on what an increase in strength requires of you, and not what other sport demands of you ... getting stronger is not complicated, please don't make it so or think it is so Sir.

All the best mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Fadi said:

Shift your eyes to the left ... now read the words you've written, somewhat describing your avatar. I read "Getting HUGE!

I'm going right for the cause, with no nonsense. The above attitude (because our words and actions are a manifestation of our attitude), is where we need to begin mate.

Let me change this to  read ... to get stronger, what I do, needs to matter. How's that for starters?

You're craving an increase in strength, yet instead of writing your post under the strength sub-section of UK-M, you chose to write it under the "Natural Bodybuilding" sub-section of the forum. Subconsciously I'm suggesting to you, is that yes you do want to get stronger,  but your love for looking a certain way is standing in the way of that goal Sir ... I don't mind if you tell me I'm wrong or that I'm way off the mark.

When I was Olympic weightlifting, muscle size did not feature on my radar ... it did not even exist.

Your love for looking a certain way ... your deep (possibly hidden fear ... until me exposing it to you right now), may be the "what" that has been stopping you from eating in a certain manner to not only gain some serious strength, but more importantly, to recover from what a strength orientated workout would demand from your body.

Generally speaking, strength athletes don't fuss over the nitty gritty the way a true bodybuilder does ... perhaps your training partner has figured that out intuitively, because he's simply giving his body what it requires and not what he thinks it requires, based on a certain look .... you need to stay lean mate ... that was a hint

If your wish was t get strong in squats, do you do what I used to do as an Olympic weightlifter, or do you include exercises pertaining to bodybuilding and "completeness"? Similarly the deadlift, the overhead press, the bench, etc. Focus on what you need and not on what you want. Let e put this another way. Focus on what an increase in strength requires of you, and not what other sport demands of you ... getting stronger is not complicated, please don't make it so or think it is so Sir.

All the best mate.

Hi! 

Thanks for this. Not sure this is defaulted but I dont think I wrote Getting Huge! 

I think my goal is to increase my strength but obviously keep in decent shape. Overall I want to be fit, strong and look like I lift. Not really sure what I need to do to get to that goal and to be honest I thought about crossfit as I like the big lifts followed by a good metcon but I cannot afford min 60 quid a month to join a crossfit gym and the gym I am at now is ideal as I train first thing in the morning and it is attached to my work office.

Not sure if you can help or throw some suggestions out, that would be great. Feel a little lost overall as I think I am setting too many goals if that makes sense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, rsd147 said:

I have been training around 10 years now, religiously been 4 times a week for at least 7 years of that where I have followed various training plans ranging from 5/3/1, GVT, muscle group splits and recent years more Upper Lower/powerlifting based routines. Been doing PPLP for around 8 weeks and enjoying the style of training and volume etc but no matter what I do I just cannot get stronger.

Diet wise, aware of how to diet and be in a calroie surplus but something is stopping me and I am not sure what.

The main compound lifts have not really progressed in weight, in particluar My OHPing and deadlift has literally been the same weight for at least a year now and alway struggle to progress on the main lifts and cannot put my finger on why. I have a trainer partner who is just a strong guy and never really pays attention to diet etc and progresses on lifts.

My stats are:

92kg, 6ft, aged 31

Squat - 145kgx6

Deadlift - 160kgx6

DB Bench - 45kgx6

Seated OHP - 60kgx8

Has anyone got any advice or suggestion that I can use to gain strength?

Thanks

How much are you eating? Calorie wise and also type of foods It's really simple and I don't mean it rudely but you probably aren't eating enough. 

I tell you this as a natural so you aren't getting advice from somebody filling themselves with different compounds to gain strength - I'm also a similar size to you 93kg and 6ft2.

The main problem you have as a natural is composition, you need to eat more to get stronger and as a result as Fadi alludes to you won't get a huge increase in notable muscle and will more than likely add weight in places you don't want to (doesn't mean  you'll get fat purely so you gain strength but weight increase helps)  it's annoying because I'd like to be leaner but incorporate powerlifts with a few accessories in PPL format on top.

Your lifts aren't too bad, I'd reduce reps and really push yourself - opt for 3x4 for example and really try to increase the weight - mentally I have to be in the zone before attempting big lifts, don't be scared to fail. 

To summarise though mate,  unless you're willing to go in to a surplus and for a decent period of time, then you'll struggle to make noticeable progress in terms of strength as a natural - yes you'll compromise a bit of body shape and add weight (you'd be surprised what 4-5kg can do) but this can easily be dropped when the weather gets better if you want to look a little better for the summer by moving back to a more bodybuilding based workout routine and dropping food. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/12/2019 at 1:54 PM, rsd147 said:

struggle to progress on the main lifts and cannot put my finger on why

Do you use deloads and cycle your training?

A deload every 7 weeks, and starting each training cycle at, say, 80% of your previous cycle's weight should give progress for years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×