Sign in to follow this  
Vince the Mince

Rear and side delts

What do you do to bring these up? I always thought lateral and rear raises were a gymbro thing but lately mine are looking awful so maybe I should rethink that. In fairness I'm focusing more on pressing right now and doing bare minimum rowing and pulling. After this block I'm going to prioritise these and looking for any advice.

Exercises like lateral raises show the highest level of deltoid activation in EMG studies, so they're going to work for most people. They're crap for progressive overload though which of course is the main driver of continued progress, so use them, but as a secondary exercise after your heavy pressing for side delts, and rows with the elbows flared out for rear delts and upper back. With isolations, go with high reps, to failure and with short rest periods. 

5 minutes ago, Crackerman said:

OHP won't really hit your side delts, way more activation in the front delts imo. 

To make your shoulders look decent, you need to isolate all 3 heads. 

Playing catch up on my rear delts now, hitting them twice a week with lots of volume. 

you're certainly right to an extent .. but HEAVY overhead, especially with a log, makes the side and rears go into overdrive keeping it stable at the top so they still get used a lot

I only do two shoulders accessories to go with over head, and they're lateral dumbbell raises, and cable face pulls, that's literally it lol .. and that's just mainly to keep the shoulder healthy .. yet they look better than they did before I started strongman training .. fair enough the rears will get used on lots of pulling motions though too