MV Owner

Adding muscle and loosing fat

Hi All,

I have been following advice very kindly provided by others in this thread:-

this was as my aim is to add some muscle and perhaps continue some hard earned weight loss.  The workouts at the gym are proving to be enjoyable, but I have only been doing them for a couple of weeks.

Anyway, there is a strong possibility that I am barely consuming enough calories through natural food and am considering some protein supplements (as opposed to more food).  Over the past month or so I have been intermittently fasting for 24 hours once a week with a view to perhaps de-plateauing my current weight loss.

I would be very appreciative of any thoughts on whether I should continue the intermittent fasting as I am probably barely consuming enough calories and have now started going to the gym 2-3 times a week.

Many thanks

MV

6 hours ago, MV Owner said:

24 hours once a week with a view to perhaps de-plateauing my current weight loss.

To get through a plateau with out the addition of fat burners etc you either will need 1 to do one of the following.

1. Have a diet break (eat maintenance 3-4 days so your metabolism can reset/ adjust, whatever way you see it).

2. At the total opposite end of the spectrum eat low cal (predominantly carbs) for 3 days followed by one very high day. Then, 3 days later once you've lost the water weight from the excessive carbs you'll see the scale moving again.

3. Probably the easiest and most efficient way, move more. Go the gym for 5 days or add in cardio to the end of every current session if you don't already.

A 24 hour fast wont do much for you in regards to getting through a plateau.

Many thaks for your help Endo.

I have decided to stop the 24 hours fasting, mainly based on your advice and also because I was fasting  prior to starting to working out at all.

I have now started to workout at the gym 3 times a week, on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays and have used the routines stated in the link above but I have varied them slightly not because I'm too arrogant to consider your good advice but because Im slightly embarassed to be in the gym at the moment and feel comfortable with slightly different exercises.  I have also always struggled with squats and deadlifts.

The two routines are:-

Workout A

Squat 6-8  - This has been replaced by seated leg press (machine based)
Bench Press 6-8 - I have been doing these flat on a Smith Machine
Lateral Raise 8-12
Tbar/ BB Row 8-12 - These have been replaced by Lat pull downs (machine based).  There is the opportunity to do this on a machine but I haven;t done so.
Leg Curl 12-15
Bicep 8-10 - I have been doing standing EZ curls or alternative standing dumbell curls
Tricep 12-15  - I have been doing tricep pushdowns (machine based)
Calf 10-12 - I haven't been doing these unfortunately.  I have calves which are large compared to my thighs / rest of body.

Workout B

Deadlift/ RDL 6-8 - I haven't been doing these unfortunately.
Incline Press 6-8 - I have been doing these on a Smith Machine.
Pull Up/ Lat Pull Down 10-12
Lateral Raise 8-12
Leg Extension 12-15
Bicep 12-15 - I have been doing standing EZ curls or alternative dumbell curls
Tricep 8-10 
Calf 6-8I - I haven't been doing these unfortunately.

I would be appreciative on your thoughts on whether I should modify the above and also whether I should  seek a 3rd training schedule as I am now training 3 times a week not the original proposal of 2.

Instead of running 8 miles every 3 days, I am now going to run 8 miles on Tuesdays and Sundays.

I believe that I'm probably not eating enough to be honest so at some point will need to consider eating more food.  I eat very little sugar, fat, or alcoholic drinks but feel Im not eating enough food.  I am taking some My protein Impact Whey (19g a day)

Many thanks for your continued help.

You're very welcome mate. Sounds like you have a clear plan of what you want which is half the battle.

Your workouts are ok. Alternating between 2 workouts is fine as you have all bases covered, but as your only training doing 2 workouts 3 times a week overall volume will become  a bigger factor and is something you will want to look at sooner rather then later. However I'm a big advocate of "doing something is better than nothing".

It appears you favour machines, that's great. However I do believe the basic compounds should be done and done with free weights. Especially squat and deadlift; as these are whole body exercises in themselves. One of the biggest benefits of these two lifts is the vast secretion of growth hormone also.

Whatever your reasons are for not doing a row, scrap it and find a reason to do em as you're doing yourself a hoooj miss justice not doing them IMO. They're a meat and potato's exercise.

FWIW mate nobody's watching or judging us, everyone's too busy working out or whatever. Everybody who's stronger than you & I has been where we are now. You have nothing to be embarrassed about. Not long ago I failed a squat in a busy gym and had to drop the bar, I've been pinned in a leg press and I've also failed a bench press of 40kg and had to roll the bar off me, now that was embarrassing.

Its ok not to be comfortable my man, but don't get too comfortable. You'll discover a new you outside of your comfort zone.

thanks for your help Endo and I will try and not be so self conscious.  I will also add some rows to the routine.

I would like your thoughts on whether the exercises above are being performed in the right order during the workouts.

On the subject of embarrasments, when I was 10.5 stone I used to be able to flat bench about 108kg for 3 sets of 8 reps.  A load of us when down the gym for a chest workout where the first exercise was an incline press.  I bought the barbell (around 80kg so quite heavy) towards my feet too much and instantly dropped it across my waist!!

Christ mate 108 at 67kg is a lot, nothing to be embarrassed about there!! Plenty of people much heavier than that can’t even get close.

Looks ok at first glance, personally I’d train what’s lagging/ whatever I want to improve the most first.
Im not sure why squats are first and leg extensions last in workout out A. I’d do squats then leg extensions, legs are done then!!

If it helps mate, this is how I’d do the workouts around my weaknesses....

Workout A 
Bicep 
Tricep 
Squat
Leg curl 
Lateral Raise
Bench Press 
Tbar/ BB Row 
Calf

Workout B 
Bicep 
Tricep 
Pull Up/ Lat Pull Down 
Deadlift/ RDL 
Leg Extension 
Incline Press 
Lateral Raise 
Calf

Hello Endo,

Thanks for all your advice whilst I have been here on this forum.  It has very significantly contributed to be being motivated to get back to the gym.

I have followed your advice above especially with regards to the rows and in my other thread and I have now started to use an app called simple workout log which has helped me in tracking everyhting

1 hour ago, MV Owner said:

Hello Endo,

Thanks for all your advice whilst I have been here on this forum.  It has very significantly contributed to be being motivated to get back to the gym.

I have followed your advice above especially with regards to the rows and in my other thread and I have now started to use an app called simple workout log which has helped me in tracking everyhting

No sweat mate, you’re very welcome.

Take it easy :beer:

OK,

So gents,  to recap, over the past few years or so I have been running 2-2 times a week (increasing the distance slowly) and this has slowly but steadily reduced by weight from around 88Kg to around 76kg up to two weeks ago.  I have always had a static and quite boring diet.

In the past two weeks I have continued to run but additionally have been to the gym 3 times a week and followed the routines provided above, but I have also added to my diet slightly by drinking 1 scoop of My Protein Whey Protein a day, eating 2-3 baked or jacket potatoes twice a week (who doesnt like those!) and drinking a cup of milk with 3 tablespoons of honey each night before bed (to make me sleep better) and to me it appears that my weight had increased by around maybe 0.1kg to 1.2kg in those two weeks.

The question I would like help on it does this gain in weight appear normal  consideirng the addition of the once a day whey protein,  2-3 jacket potatoes a week, milk and honey and 3 gym sessions per week and secondly, if I have been tracking by weight accurately (which I believe I have) is any increase in weight likely to be muscle?

Many thanks

MV

Not sure I understand what you’re saying mate. You think you gained anywhere between 0.1kg - 1.2kg in 2 weeks?! That’s quite a fluctuation and is 2.4lb. Do you mean 1.1-1.2kg?

if so that’s a quite an aggressive weigh gain at 1lb a week IMO.

The above is probably an additional 50g protein a day (200 cals) and approx 70-80g carbs a day (300 cals). I’d halve that!

Apologies, between 1.0 and 1.2kg gain.

So to cut this down I believe removal of the jacket potatoes and the cup of milk and honey is probably required,  this would mean that all I have varied is now going to the gym 3 times a week and adding a dosage of protein a day.  Does this seem a reasonable way to go?

Just out of interest do you think the gain I did make of circa 1.0 to 1.2 kg would have been muscle/ fat / hard to tell?

2 hours ago, MV Owner said:

Apologies, between 1.0 and 1.2kg gain.

So to cut this down I believe removal of the jacket potatoes and the cup of milk and honey is probably required,  this would mean that all I have varied is now going to the gym 3 times a week and adding a dosage of protein a day.  Does this seem a reasonable way to go?

Just out of interest do you think the gain I did make of circa 1.0 to 1.2 kg would have been muscle/ fat / hard to tell?

Take everything you added in out and start again by adding them in nice n slow as you go. Bit by bit over the next couple of months. 

1.2kg divided by 2 = 0.6kg a week. 
0.6kg = 1.3lbs. 
3500 calories = 1lb of bodyweight.
1.3lbs =  4,600 calorie surplus a week/ 650 surplus a day  

Majority was probably fat mate. You only need to be in a 200 cal surplus a day, if even at all  

thanks for your help mate.

Last night I ran 13.1 miles which made me feel better in my mind.  I believe I may have had some irratic measurements on the scales but will definately implement what you have suggested

OK friends,  So as mentioned above I have been doing cardio for many years and have started to go to the gym for three times a week  for 2 weeks now using the workouts kindly supplied earlier.  I am generally doing 8-10 reps until failure on each set and even after working out for barely 2 weeks I am getting stronger quickly and each workout is progressing well .

Whilst I have left it a bit late, my return to the gym has been prompted by a holiday I have planned in earth March 2020 so just three months  from now.

The question is should I maintain the above workout schedule right up until early March 2020 or will there be a point prior to that when I should change my workout schedule to shed any fat etc.  This is just a question so I can plan ahead.

Many thanks

If the workouts working then no need to change it. When the rate of fat loss stalls it’s time to change it up/ make changes.

Easy ways you can change it up are.... 

Eat less by reducing cals. 
Implement additional cardio.  
Shorter rest periods between sets. 
Mix up the type of cardio you are doing eg do HIIT cardio.