Sign in to follow this  
Bjames

Routine help needed.

Hi Everyone. 

Looking for some advice on 3 day a week routine. I have been training a number of years but have changed routines to the next best thing far too many times to make real progress. To cut a long story short I’m completely lost with Routines/Volume/Sets-Reps/ How many times to train a muscle a week. I have access to a fully equipped gym with everything needed and can confidently do all the big lifts . Please could someone suggest a 3 day split with exercises and sets and reps included.  All suggesting are welcome but I would prefer not to train full body if possible.

Thanks for the support

PULL

Deadlifts 1x5+/Barbell rows 4x5, 1x5+ (alternate, so if you did deadlifts on Monday, you would do rows on Thursday, and so on)

3x8-12 Pulldowns OR Pullups OR chinups

3x8-12 seated cable rows OR chest supported rows

5x15-20 face pulls

4x8-12 hammer curls

4x8-12 dumbbell curls

PUSH

4x5, 1x5+ bench press/4x5, 1x5+ overhead press (alternate in the same fashion as the rows and deadlifts)

3x8-12 overhead press/3x8-12 bench press (do the opposite movement: if you bench pressed first, overhead press here)

3x8-12 incline dumbbell press

3x8-12 triceps pushdowns SS 3x15-20 lateral raises

3x8-12 overhead triceps extensions SS 3x15-20 lateral raises

LEGS

2x5, 1x5+ squat

3x8-12 Romanian Deadlift

3x8-12 leg press

3x8-12 leg curls

5x8-12 calf raises

More info on the above here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/37ylk5/a_linear_progression_based_ppl_program_for/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

1 hour ago, Sasnak said:

PULL

Deadlifts 1x5+/Barbell rows 4x5, 1x5+ (alternate, so if you did deadlifts on Monday, you would do rows on Thursday, and so on)

3x8-12 Pulldowns OR Pullups OR chinups

3x8-12 seated cable rows OR chest supported rows

5x15-20 face pulls

4x8-12 hammer curls

4x8-12 dumbbell curls

PUSH

4x5, 1x5+ bench press/4x5, 1x5+ overhead press (alternate in the same fashion as the rows and deadlifts)

3x8-12 overhead press/3x8-12 bench press (do the opposite movement: if you bench pressed first, overhead press here)

3x8-12 incline dumbbell press

3x8-12 triceps pushdowns SS 3x15-20 lateral raises

3x8-12 overhead triceps extensions SS 3x15-20 lateral raises

LEGS

2x5, 1x5+ squat

3x8-12 Romanian Deadlift

3x8-12 leg press

3x8-12 leg curls

5x8-12 calf raises

More info on the above here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/37ylk5/a_linear_progression_based_ppl_program_for/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

Thanks Sasnak for the link just had read it’s a 6 day a week routine - I can only do 3 days a week.

Any other suggestions from  Sasnak or anyone else ?

51 minutes ago, Bjames said:

it’s a 6 day a week routine

It’s not a 6 day routine. It’s a simple intermediate push, pull, legs routine. You can run it 3 days a week. Day on day off, whatever.

If training 3 times a week you could add one exercise to the above to add volume or try phul. Just train legs once a week. There is a bit more volume in the below upper/lower split 

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout

Best three day per week routine I have seen for beginners  is probably GZCLP bar none. Once you get your percentages going you could probably run that for a year with no real issues and continue to see progress on it. 

Natural and enhanced lifters alike typically benefit from a higher frequency of training so my advice is to take advantage of it. Make sure to train your rear Delts every session. :) 

20 hours ago, Quackerz said:

Best three day per week routine I have seen for beginners  is probably GZCLP bar none. Once you get your percentages going you could probably run that for a year with no real issues and continue to see progress on it. 

Natural and enhanced lifters alike typically benefit from a higher frequency of training so my advice is to take advantage of it. Make sure to train your rear Delts every session. :) 

Thanks for the help that’s more what I’m considering doing. I’m debating just doing a very simple upper lower split over 3 days:

Any opinions on the below ? My goal is to build muscle and increase numbers on the basics. 

Upper

Bench: 3 x 8

BB Rows:  3 x 8

DB Shoulder Press: 3 x 10

Lat pull downs: 3 x 10

Biceps: 3 x 12

Lower

Squat: 3 x 8

RDL: 3 x 8

Hip thrusts: 3 x 10

Calves: 3 x 12

Upper

MP: 3 x 8

Chins: 3 x 8

DB Bench: 3 x 10

Row variation: 3 x 10

Triceps: 3 x 12

Lower

Deadlift: 4 x 6

Leg Press: 3 x 10

GHR: 3 x 10

3 hours ago, Bjames said:

Thanks for the help that’s more what I’m considering doing. I’m debating just doing a very simple upper lower split over 3 days:

Any opinions on the below ? My goal is to build muscle and increase numbers on the basics. 

Upper

Bench: 3 x 8

BB Rows:  3 x 8

DB Shoulder Press: 3 x 10

Lat pull downs: 3 x 10

Biceps: 3 x 12

Lower

Squat: 3 x 8

RDL: 3 x 8

Hip thrusts: 3 x 10

Upper

MP: 3 x 8

Chins: 3 x 8

DB Bench: 3 x 10

Row variation: 3 x 10

Triceps: 3 x 12

Lower

Deadlift: 4 x 6

Leg Press: 3 x 10

GHR: 3 x 10

As long as you have some sort of progressive system in place the above should be fine. If you are progressing your lifts and eating right you’ll see progress. When you stall on your main lifts try dropping the reps to 5 or so and take it from there. :) 

36 minutes ago, Quackerz said:

As long as you have some sort of progressive system in place the above should be fine. If you are progressing your lifts and eating right you’ll see progress. When you stall on your main lifts try dropping the reps to 5 or so and take it from there. :) 

Thanks Quackerz. The aim progression wise is just to add small amounts of weight each week. 
Please feel free to add any ideas for sets and reps  or even movements that need swapping around. The other option  was a standard PPL legs over M/W/F. 

On the diet front I’m looking to drop some weight I’m currently 16st. Worked out my calories will start around 2300-2400cals per day aiming for 200g per day of protein the rest of my calories split between carbs and fats.  Might also add some steady state cardio and HIIT sessions in.

hopefully all looks good to go.

3 hours ago, Bjames said:

Thanks Quackerz. The aim progression wise is just to add small amounts of weight each week. 
Please feel free to add any ideas for sets and reps  or even movements that need swapping around. The other option  was a standard PPL legs over M/W/F. 

On the diet front I’m looking to drop some weight I’m currently 16st. Worked out my calories will start around 2300-2400cals per day aiming for 200g per day of protein the rest of my calories split between carbs and fats.  Might also add some steady state cardio and HIIT sessions in.

hopefully all looks good to go.

Aim for high carbs if you want to progress whilst cutting, other than that looks good. Personally I’d run the main lift at 3X5-6 but it’s a nuance really.

1 hour ago, Quackerz said:

Aim for high carbs if you want to progress whilst cutting, other than that looks good. Personally I’d run the main lift at 3X5-6 but it’s a nuance really.

Gone with 3 x 5-6 on the main lifts.  Just going to keep the upper lower very simple and focus on the basics of adding weight and reps when possible and stop majoring in the minors with my training. 

8 hours ago, Bjames said:

Gone with 3 x 5-6 on the main lifts.  Just going to keep the upper lower very simple and focus on the basics of adding weight and reps when possible and stop majoring in the minors with my training. 

Sounds good man. :) 

You seem to be taking on all the good advice and have it all laid out well. Stick with it for a good half a year or so and you’ll see some decent progress, especially when you start upping your kcals. It’ll be very easy to progress to 5/3/1 from that template once you find your lifts starting to stall for a few weeks. 

4 hours ago, Quackerz said:

Sounds good man. :) 

You seem to be taking on all the good advice and have it all laid out well. Stick with it for a good half a year or so and you’ll see some decent progress, especially when you start upping your kcals. It’ll be very easy to progress to 5/3/1 from that template once you find your lifts starting to stall for a few weeks. 

Sounds a plan. I actually did 5/3/1 years ago great routine.  Time to put the work in now and get consistent and stick to the plan for the next 6-12 months.